bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Bidding wars in the south end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colorizer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 am GMT    Post subject: Bidding wars in the south end Reply with quote

If there's any problem with the market in the south end, I've sure missed it. Two of the three places I've seen in the past three months that I was serious about buying - both sold after bidding wars for a price "significantly higher than asking."

On the the other one, I told the broker I was ready to make an offer but wanted to know what the owner had paid so I coudl get a sense of how low it might be realistic to go (I liked the place but didn't love it). I didn't didn't even get a call back for three weeks.

Still a pretty hot market out there as far as I can tell...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the South End specifically, so you may very well be right. However, I don't think that "hot" sales mean there can't be a problem. Plenty of people identified problems with the housing market back in 2005 while sales everywhere were still hot. Declining sales and prices now are symptoms of the problems which began at the beginning of the decade - it's a slow reaction.

What I would be interested in is what is the median price to income ratio for the South End, now and historically? Also, what is the median price to rent ratio for equivalent properties? Those provide more of a long term outlook on how viable the prices are.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an historical perspective, I checked with The Warren Group's records for condos in Boston Proper, and they did not escape the last downturn. Here is a chart of the median condo price for the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, The North End, and The South End from 1988 - 2007, adjusted for inflation:

Real prices fell 30% from 1988 through 1996. The total drop could have been bigger since the data only goes back to 1988 and the prior peak could have been before then. Regardless, if you had bought in 1988, it would have taken 12 years to break even (not that breaking even has much importance apart from psychologically.)

Here are the sources so that you can check the math (please do in case I made a mistake):

- admin
joebos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:17 pm GMT    Post subject: More resilient? Reply with quote

I wonder if the South End will be more resilient this time around due to its increase in popularity and influx of wealthy buyers. It was a very different neighborhood in the 80s and 90s.

I live in the neighborhood. I rent and would never be able to afford to buy here, nor would I want to given the way it's changed in the last year. But I've surprisingly not seen any indication of a slow down. Maybe that will happen when all of these new towers get dumped on the market.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: More resilient? Reply with quote

joebos wrote:
I wonder if the South End will be more resilient this time around due to its increase in popularity and influx of wealthy buyers. It was a very different neighborhood in the 80s and 90s.

Could be. I'd like to note, though, that the median also includes the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, which I assume were already gentrified during the last cycle.

- admin
joebos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:28 am GMT    Post subject: Condos going up for auction Reply with quote

I just read on a realtor's blog that the remaining units in a South End building (the Modern) are going to be auctioned. Maybe the South End is not immune as everyone has been saying. This could be a sign that sales are finally slowing.
bdavis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 am GMT    Post subject: The Modern Reply with quote

The Modern is on the other side of Mass Ave. and has never really been accepted as part of the SE, so the auction doesn't surprise me at all.

On a similar topic however, I think sales at 700 Harrison and The 1850
are fairly anemic. Not exactly prime location, but a couple of yuears
ago, they would have sold much quicker.

I too wonder what will happen to the SE and BB real estate markets when these new buildings get dumped on the market in the coming year ot two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.