bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Brief: The Real Story for MA - Dec 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:38 am GMT    Post subject: Boston Bubble Brief: The Real Story for MA - Dec 2007 Reply with quote

This is a brief report on what the data for the housing market in Massachusetts looks like in real terms. Market data is typically reported in nominal terms which can be misleading because it combines changes in housing values with changes in the value of the dollar. Correcting for inflation removes changes in the dollar as a factor and gives a more accurate picture of how housing values have changed. This report is based on the published data of the Massachusetts Association of Realtors, though it should be noted that the S&P/Case-Shiller index is a superior data source.

The Massachusetts Association of Realtors released their data for December 2007 on Monday, January 28th. While the raw prices were provided in nominal terms, for this report they have been adjusted for inflation using the CPI Northeast Urban numbers available at http://www.bls.gov/cpi/ Adjusting for inflation produced the data represented by the graphs below. Prices for January 2003 and earlier have been estimated by applying the earliest reported median from The MAR, February 2003, against the S&P/Case-Shiller Index for the Boston area. Suggestions for improving this estimate are welcome.

Full Price History

Change in Median Price From One Year Earlier, February 2004 - December 2007

Seasonal variations are removed by comparing prices from the same month in the prior year.

Some observations:

• Current prices are once again lower than in any other year in the time period covered by The MAR, by the largest margin yet.
  • The inflation adjusted median is now at the lowest point on record - the present price represents a loss relative to any time since the record began.
  • The cumulative price decline from the beginning (Feb 2003) is 1.02%, which is an annualized decline of 0.21%.
  • The most explosive price growth occurred in years prior to those reported by The MAR, which is hinted at in the dramatic gap between the 2002 estimate and the reported prices for 2003. This should serve as a caution against the conclusion that price declines are nearly over now that the real price is below all previously reported prices. The reporting period is too short for that conclusion.
  • The real decline from December 2006 to December 2007 was 7.13%.
  • Prices are now 20.24% below the peak set in June 2005.
  • The year over year decline was below the bottom of the normal range in December for the second month in a row. This may signal that declines are beginning to deepen, though it is too premature to tell at this point.
  • The reported median for December 2007 is only a whisker above the estimated value for December 2002. They are in fact equal if the estimate is rounded to the nearest $100.

As as been the case for at least several months now, The Warren Group reported greater declines than The Massachusetts Association of Realtors. The Warren Group reported a decline of 10.5% in the median price for single family homes with nominal prices falling from $309,000 in December 2006 to $276,568 in December 2007. Adjusted for inflation, that represents a real decline of 13.79%. Given that The MAR reported the December 2007 median as the much higher $323,000, the cumulative discrepancy puts The MAR reported price at a glaring 16.79% above The Warren Group's. A major factor in the discrepancy is that The Warren Group includes foreclosure sales and sales directly by the owner, which The MAR does not cover.

The S&P/Case-Shiller Index for Boston is likely superior to the data from both The Massachusetts Association of Realtors and The Warren Group as it corrects for many flaws that are inherent when only using the median price. The S&P/Case-Shiller Index also has the advantage that futures contracts can be traded against it, thereby offering an unbiased insight into where housing prices are expected to be in the future. It also has more extensive historical data available. The MAR data was used for this report mainly out of inertia and might be replaced with the S&P/Case-Shiller Index in future reports.

As usual, please do try this at home. Double checking of the math used to construct the above graphs and analysis is strongly encouraged in order to help ferret out any errors. The data was derived from the following sources:

The text of this post and the associated graphs are Copyright 2008 by bostonbubble.com with all rights reserved, except as stated here. You may reproduce each graph individually or the text of the entire post as a whole (including graphs) under the Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. You may additionally scale the graphs to fit your work. Alternatively, if you remove the bostonbubble.com signature from the bottom left hand corner of the images within this post, those modified images (and only those modified images) can then be distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. In all cases, attribution should be made via a hyperlink to http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=781 or http://www.bostonbubble.com/ Quoting excerpts of the text is also allowed provided that the quotes would normally fall under fair use. To request other terms for reproduction, please post your request in the original thread at http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=781

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I really appreciate that you take the time to do this each month. 20% below 2005 peak is pretty significant at this point.

The only conclusion I'm going to take issue with is this one:

Quote:
The year over year decline was below the bottom of the normal range in December for the second month in a row. This may signal that declines are beginning to deepen, though it is too premature to tell at this point.

I'm a little confused here. Why would a relatively large decline in December tell us anything at all about the magnitude of future declines (i.e., "are beginning to deepen")? Am I misunderstanding?

Yes, I note you hedge at the end, but you're still throwing it out there! This sounds dangerously close to a prediction. Smile

But thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

I'm a little confused here. Why would a relatively large decline in December tell us anything at all about the magnitude of future declines (i.e., "are beginning to deepen")? Am I misunderstanding?

There is some inertia in the market. Price changes feed back on themselves because of the human psychology involved. People tend to expect more of the same and transactions occur over relatively long time periods, which impedes change, at least until you go too far past fundamentals or some other factor disrupts the system. It is not the sole guiding characteristic, and it is practically irrelevant to the underlying value of the property, but my hypothesis is that inertia does feed into short and medium term trends. Looking at the graph, each month's change is typically not very far from the previous month's change, so I think it's plausible to expect that to continue. I will note that almost all of the year over year changes have been within two standard deviations of the running average.
JCK wrote:

Yes, I note you hedge at the end, but you're still throwing it out there! This sounds dangerously close to a prediction. Smile

Sorry if it came off as a longer term prediction, it's only meant as a prediction in that it indicates what near term changes would be unexpected. I don't think that when the January numbers are released we are going to suddenly see a shift back to appreciation like we saw in 2004. If each month were uncorrelated with the previous one, then maybe it wouldn't be advisable to rule out a swing back to 7% real appreciation. However, that would be over four standard deviations above what has been typical for the last year, so for it to occur in the near future would be shockingly unexpected. My interpretation is that price changes within one standard deviation are business as usual and that changes outside that range may be the result of a change in what is "usual."

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

I think I read too much into your statement. I thought you might be saying that a big fall YOY fall in December would portend an even bigger YOY fall in January. Sounds like you saying that declines, generally would likely continue, based on inertia.

I absolutely agree with that point. I certainly don't expect appreciation in January!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
Admin,

I think I read too much into your statement. I thought you might be saying that a big fall YOY fall in December would portend an even bigger YOY fall in January. Sounds like you saying that declines, generally would likely continue, based on inertia.

I absolutely agree with that point. I certainly don't expect appreciation in January!

Right... if anything, I would expect a smaller decline in January, if only because the December decline was deeper than normal. That is, unless "normal" is in the process of changing, which we will only know in retrospect.

- admin
terrace4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:45 am GMT    Post subject: real price graph with futures Reply with quote

What happened to the graph of real S&P/Case Shiller prices, with futures, that you posted in recent months? I look forward to this post every month--thanks for the fantastic analyses!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: real price graph with futures Reply with quote

terrace4 wrote:
What happened to the graph of real S&P/Case Shiller prices, with futures, that you posted in recent months? I look forward to this post every month--thanks for the fantastic analyses!

That's part of the "S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Snapshot" series, which is a different set of reports. The latest one is at:

http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=618

The goal is to post a new one of those quarterly. The next one will hopefully come after the February contract is settled.

- admin
SamChady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Thank you for 2002/2003 estimate Reply with quote

I like how you put the earlier period data in as an estimate. Thanks

How did you do this? Did you try to correlate the 2 data sources (pre & post 2003) used in some way? In other words, to normalize the data sets to each other, or maybe you used another method.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Thank you for 2002/2003 estimate Reply with quote

SamChady wrote:
I like how you put the earlier period data in as an estimate. Thanks

How did you do this? Did you try to correlate the 2 data sources (pre & post 2003) used in some way? In other words, to normalize the data sets to each other, or maybe you used another method.

What I did was take the oldest median available from The MAR, which was for February 2003, and treat it as equal to the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index for that same month. Prior months were then calculated using the change in the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index. To be precise, the formula was:
Code:

CSI2   CPINU2
MAR2est = MAR1 * ---- * ------
                 CSI1   CPINU1

Where:

MAR1    is the nominal median reported by The MAR for February 2003
CSI1    is the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index for February 2003
CPINU1  is the CPI-NU for February 2003
MAR2est is the estimated median for the desired month
CSI2    is the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index for the desired month
CPINU2  is the CPI-NU for the desired month

I do realize that this puts more importance on February 2003 than would be ideal. If The MAR's data and the S&P/Case-Shiller Index for Boston deviated from whatever correlation is typical for that month, that would throw off the estimate. However, this approach is pretty simple and getting perfect accuracy is futile anyway given that the underlying collection methods differ in several ways. I'm open to suggestions for a better method, though.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: the formula I posted above was both incorrect and not what I used in the spreadsheet to create the graph. It should have been:
Code:

CSI2   CPINU3
MAR2est = MAR1 * ---- * ------
                 CSI1   CPINU2

Where:

MAR1    is the nominal median reported by The MAR for February 2003
CSI1    is the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index for February 2003
MAR2est is the estimated median for the desired month
CSI2    is the S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Index for the desired month
CPINU2  is the CPI-NU for the desired month
CPINU3  is the CPI-NU for the most recent month

Unfortunately, that means the estimates on the initial graph were incorrect. I have corrected the estimate and spent some additional time cross checking it against separate S&P/Case-Shiller Boston graphs. Below is a corrected version of the graph, which is hopefully more accurate:

Some observations on the correction:

• The increase between the 2002 estimate and the 2003 data isn't as dramatic as before, though it is still large.
  • The December 2007 price is actually below the December 2002 estimate now, and November was below the 2002 estimate as well.

Given that current prices are now below 2002 estimates, I added estimates for 2001 as well.

- admin
SamChady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:20 am GMT    Post subject: Old Data Reply with quote

Yes, I would be worried about only having a 1 month overlap to correlate, but its better than nothing, and you were very clear in marking the data as estimated.

You might have to go back to 2000 if things keep falling, especially if inflation increases.
JCK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

Instead of using just Feb 2003, could you calculate correlation for each month in 2003, and use the average of those numbers as your correlation factor?

I don't think that should be too difficult (assuming all the numbers are available), and would avoid relying too heavily on Feb 2003 as being representative.

How closely do the MAR numbers and S-P track with each other from 2003 to present? Do they correlate closely enough (even if the absolute values are somewhat different) to be useful substitutes of each other?

Thanks again for this. I agree with Sam that you may need to go back to 2000, if prices fall too much farther!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
Admin,

Instead of using just Feb 2003, could you calculate correlation for each month in 2003, and use the average of those numbers as your correlation factor?

I don't think that should be too difficult (assuming all the numbers are available), and would avoid relying too heavily on Feb 2003 as being representative.

How closely do the MAR numbers and S-P track with each other from 2003 to present? Do they correlate closely enough (even if the absolute values are somewhat different) to be useful substitutes of each other?

Thanks again for this. I agree with Sam that you may need to go back to 2000, if prices fall too much farther!

I do think these are good questions. I can't do it this way in the immediate term due to time constraints - I would need to go back and revisit my statistics textbooks. If you want to post exact formulas, that would definitely help, otherwise I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future.

My hunch is that it improving the accuracy of the estimate wouldn't provide a whole lot of benefit since there are some inherent differences in the collection methods, including but not limited to:

• Different geographical boundaries
  • Same house chaining versus indiscriminate median
  • For sale by owner not covered by MAR
  • Foreclosures not covered by MAR

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.