bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Wrap: The Real Story for MA - Mar 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Boston Bubble Wrap: The Real Story for MA - Mar 2010 Reply with quote

This is a brief report on what the data for the housing market in Massachusetts looks like in real terms. Market data is typically reported in nominal terms which can be misleading because it combines changes in housing values with changes in the value of the dollar. Correcting for inflation removes changes in the dollar as a factor and gives a more accurate picture of how housing values have changed. This report is based on the published data of the Massachusetts Association of Realtors, though it should be noted that the S&P/Case-Shiller Index is a superior data source.

The Massachusetts Association of Realtors released their data for March 2010 on Wednesday, April 28th. While the raw prices were provided in nominal terms, for this report they have been adjusted for inflation using the CPI Northeast Urban numbers available at http://www.bls.gov/cpi/ Adjusting for inflation produced the data represented by the graphs below. Prices for January 2003 and earlier have been estimated by applying the earliest reported median from The MAR, February 2003, against the S&P/Case-Shiller Index for the Boston area. Suggestions for improving this estimate are welcome.

Full Price History

Change in Median Price From One Year Earlier, February 2004 - March 2010

Seasonal variations are removed by comparing prices from the same month in the prior year.

Some observations:

• The real increase from March 2009 to March 2010 was 7.04%.
  • This was the fourth real year over year increase since August 2005, with all such increases occurring consecutively and after the most recent renewal and expansion of the home buyer tax credit.
  • The year over year change rose to more than one standard deviation above the moving average after having been within the normal range last month.
  • Real prices are still lower than the same month in every year in the time period covered by The MAR, with the exception of 2008.
  • Prices are now 33.75% below the peak set in June 2005. This is the result of a 25.08% decline in nominal housing prices and a 11.57% decline in the purchasing power of the dollar.
  • The cumulative price decline from the beginning (Feb 2003) is 17.79%, which is an annualized decline of 2.73%.

The S&P/Case-Shiller Index for Boston is likely superior to the data above as it corrects for many flaws that are inherent when using only the median price. The S&P/Case-Shiller Index also has the advantage that futures contracts can be traded against it, thereby offering an unbiased insight into where housing prices are expected to be in the future. It also has more extensive historical data available. The MAR data was used for this report mainly out of inertia and might be replaced with the S&P/Case-Shiller Index in future reports.

As usual, please do try this at home. Double checking of the math used to construct the above graphs and analysis is strongly encouraged in order to help ferret out any errors. The data was derived from the following sources:

The text of this post and the associated graphs are Copyright 2010 by bostonbubble.com with all rights reserved, except as stated here. You may reproduce each graph individually or the text of the entire post as a whole (including graphs) under the Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. You may additionally scale the graphs to fit your work. Alternatively, if you remove the bostonbubble.com signature from the bottom left hand corner of the images within this post, those modified images (and only those modified images) can then be distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. In all cases, attribution should be made via a hyperlink to http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2756 or http://www.bostonbubble.com/ Quoting excerpts of the text is also allowed provided that the quotes would normally fall under fair use. To request other terms for reproduction, please post your request in the original thread at http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2756

The latest version of this report can be found at http://www.bostonbubble.com/latest.php?id=ma_inflation

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... unbiased insight into where housing prices are expected to be in the future

I guess I just wanted to mention that the futures actually represent *biased* insight into the future - these are bets of people who believe one way or the other. Unbiased would actually be either random, or based on some mechanical model which would generate a buy/sell signal without any human involvement.

Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust by real inflation which includes food and gas prices? The question is, does anybody publish this number?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

I guess I just wanted to mention that the futures actually represent *biased* insight into the future - these are bets of people who believe one way or the other.

You have two separate parties taking opposite sides of the bet, and any bias which does exist could be profitably arbitraged, so it is as unbiased as possible.

GenXer wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust by real inflation which includes food and gas prices? The question is, does anybody publish this number?

The CPI-NU (and CPI) does include food and gas prices. We've been over this before.

- admin
Teavo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin, thanks as always for the excellent info.

I wonder if we'll see a spike upward next month (April data) possibly reflecting the mini-panic of buyers trying to qualify at the last moment for the just-expired tax break, possibly then followed in May by a significant drop as we hit the void from which the buyers had been shifted forward due to the tax break.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teavo wrote:
Admin, thanks as always for the excellent info.

I wonder if we'll see a spike upward next month (April data) possibly reflecting the mini-panic of buyers trying to qualify at the last moment for the just-expired tax break, possibly then followed in May by a significant drop as we hit the void from which the buyers had been shifted forward due to the tax break.

You're welcome.

Bear in mind, the tax credit just expired (a few minutes ago, actually) with respect to homes put under agreement, but I think homes already under agreement still have until the end of June to close. So if there is even more of a spike than we've seen already followed by a drop, the turning point might not actually show until we see July's numbers.

- admin
Kaidran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that there was some confusion if the 30th deadline applied to P&S or the initial offer. Does anyone know if there was anything official decided?

Thanks for the numbers btw, very useful as always.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaidran wrote:
I heard that there was some confusion if the 30th deadline applied to P&S or the initial offer. Does anyone know if there was anything official decided?

The IRS says:

Quote:

Under the new law, an eligible taxpayer must buy, or enter into a binding contract to buy, a principal residence on or before April 30, 2010 and close on the home by June 30, 2010.

The text of the actual bill says:

Quote:

In the case of any taxpayer who enters into a written binding contract before May 1, 2010, to close on the purchase of a principal residence before July 1, 2010...

Is the initial offer a written binding contract? That would seem to be the crux of the issue. You would still have to close by the end of June, in any case.

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acceptance of the initial offer by a seller creates a binding contract.

You may have contingencies in your offer letter (e.g., inspection, financing), but the contract is legally enforceable.
Kaidran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense.

I think the actual link to the news article I heard is in the News section. The confusion was because different states have only a single contract. I think one realtor was advising to get the P&S done before the 30th.

All done now anyway Smile

http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2755
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
GenXer wrote:

I guess I just wanted to mention that the futures actually represent *biased* insight into the future - these are bets of people who believe one way or the other.

You have two separate parties taking opposite sides of the bet, and any bias which does exist could be profitably arbitraged, so it is as unbiased as possible.

- admin

Actually, this is just a hypothesis, not even a theory. You can easily see how wrong it is. If you have a single buyer and seller, there is no 'arbitrage' for miles. Nobody knows what the prices would be, so a buyer makes a bet, and a seller makes a bet. And both of them can end up very wrong. Say, buyer bets up, seller bets down, and the result is neither. Where's the arbitrage? They both made bad bets. Just because you have a herd jumping on either side of a trade doesn't make it unbiased. If there was no bias, the market would always be 'fair valued', leading to 100% efficiency, which is not even wrong. And since you can't even measure efficiency, I wouldn't assume it. Thus, any trade is biased. Its the degree of bias that can be discussed (though not really analyzed, because that is only known after the fact).
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

Actually, this is just a hypothesis, not even a theory. You can easily see how wrong it is. If you have a single buyer and seller, there is no 'arbitrage' for miles. Nobody knows what the prices would be, so a buyer makes a bet, and a seller makes a bet. And both of them can end up very wrong. Say, buyer bets up, seller bets down, and the result is neither. Where's the arbitrage? They both made bad bets. Just because you have a herd jumping on either side of a trade doesn't make it unbiased. If there was no bias, the market would always be 'fair valued', leading to 100% efficiency, which is not even wrong. And since you can't even measure efficiency, I wouldn't assume it. Thus, any trade is biased. Its the degree of bias that can be discussed (though not really analyzed, because that is only known after the fact).

I am not arguing that the market is 100% efficient, as you are insinuating, or even close to it. I am arguing that you don't have a mechanism that is more efficient than the market. If you did have a less biased mechanism, you would be able to profit from the inefficiencies in the futures - no, not on every single trade, but on average. But your hypothetical examples of less biased sources are merely that - hypothetical. They don't count as being less biased than the futures market when they don't exist.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the LESS bias, the LESS one is hypothetically able to profit, based on 'classical' theory. That is, markets are efficient. If markets are not efficient, it has been shown that even if you have a lot of bias in the markets, you can still NOT profit from it consistently. This is simply owing to the chaotic nature of the markets - bias shows up as huge unpredictable movements. You can see they are happening, but it is impossible to profit because nobody can time them exactly, and consistently. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This is why its actually irrelevant what the 'theory' says - markets have torn apart all theories, large and small. The only theory I believe in is that whether biased or not, markets are not predictable. Thus, even if there is a lot of bias in the futures (which is what I'm arguing), it doesn't matter much as far as predictability (or how right the market is, so to speak). Market can be wrong all the time - the chaos of having many millions of players reacting to different events means just that - chaos.

So in a way, we are arguing about something that's not very useful - how many demons can sit on the edge of a pin, pretty much. One thing is for sure - market players make bets, and the ticker moves, sometimes mildly, sometimes chaotically, and sometimes the market by mere chance happens to be 'right'. Everything else is a conjecture.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, the LESS bias, the LESS one is hypothetically able to profit, based on 'classical' theory.

That was my point.

Quote:
The only theory I believe in is that whether biased or not, markets are not predictable.

The futures have actually done pretty well at predicting prices. If you are going to argue that this is because no "black swan" events have occurred, I don't see why that matters since nothing can predict black swans (usually). The futures are useful for providing some price visibility under normal conditions, and with much less bias than forecasts from The NAR, et al. If they can't predict black swans, so what? You have to use something when doing things like rent-versus-buy calculations, and treating the futures as a "best guess" seems fine to me, provided that you also run the numbers for bad case black swan scenarios and can weather those too.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Quote:
Actually, the LESS bias, the LESS one is hypothetically able to profit, based on 'classical' theory.

That was my point.

Quote:
The only theory I believe in is that whether biased or not, markets are not predictable.

The futures have actually done pretty well at predicting prices. If you are going to argue that this is because no "black swan" events have occurred, I don't see why that matters since nothing can predict black swans (usually). The futures are useful for providing some price visibility under normal conditions, and with much less bias than forecasts from The NAR, et al. If they can't predict black swans, so what? You have to use something when doing things like rent-versus-buy calculations, and treating the futures as a "best guess" seems fine to me, provided that you also run the numbers for bad case black swan scenarios and can weather those too.

- admin

It may be that futures are a much better (or a more 'efficient', because if the sheer number of players) predictor than forecasts from NAR (which I'm sure is true, because NAR is always biased one way only), but if you are going to mention a rent vs buy calculation, I fail to see how any type of prediction is useful at all. Like we discussed before, this 'prediction' can be off the chart wrong, and if you make bets on it and end up on the losing end, what's the point?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

It may be that futures are a much better (or a more 'efficient', because if the sheer number of players) predictor than forecasts from NAR (which I'm sure is true, because NAR is always biased one way only), but if you are going to mention a rent vs buy calculation, I fail to see how any type of prediction is useful at all. Like we discussed before, this 'prediction' can be off the chart wrong, and if you make bets on it and end up on the losing end, what's the point?

You cannot avoid making a prediction. You are doing it implicitly even if you try not to. So what if it can be "off the chart wrong?" If no black swans strike this particular area of your world during the time frame in question, your decision is more likely to be wrong when you don't expose your implicit predictions to criticism.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.