bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Building an inflation hedge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Building an inflation hedge Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B844G20091209

Quote:
Here's an inflation hedge: owning your own home. This is even better: pay for it with a long-term, fixed-rate mortgage.

I'm still struggling with this idea. It's times like this that I wish I wasn't mathematically illiterate! If I buy a house today for 300k (with a 30 year fixed at 5%) and it goes down 20% over the next five years, how much inflation (and over what time period) would be required for the purchase to work in my favor?
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with inflation is that not all things inflate equally. It's looking like the flood of dollars is causing two things to happen: home prices are relatively rising (that is not falling as much) and the dollar to drop. The dollar drop means that foreign goods like cars, appliances, some food, electronics, oil, etc are costing a lot more. Income, however, is not going up and that's why houses represent a poor hedge against inflation because they are a measure of income. I'm guessing that it won't start acting that way again until unemployment drops and income can start rising again, which by most estimates will be about 5-7 years at the minimum to be back where we were. It may be worse, though, especially if the H1B visas are a increased as they are currently discussing (increasing labor pool and decreasing need for employers to raise wages to hire talented Americans). For houses that bankers can afford, this is a fantastic time to buy as their incomes are rising. Probably also doctors and lawyers with health care "reform".
CL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real estate is an inflation hedge, but with significant flaws if the sole purpose is to hedge against inflation. Any real asset is inflation hedge when financed with a fixed nominal amount of liability. When price is inflated, your debt stay the same and your asset rise with inflation, which is how the hedge works.

The issue is, of course, many factors other than inflation drives real estate price. I disagree that real estate is a measure of income unless it's very long term (30+ years). If real estate is a function of income, and wages being a big part of inflation calculation, it follows real estate should track inflation stably and thus real estate should be a good inflation hedge. But the last housing boom and subsequent bust tells us that house price can deviate quite substantially from the norm of price to income ratio. Demographics, credit availability, rate expectation, government incentives/subsidy, general demand and supply in the specific area, all have significant influence in house prices.

Long story short, I think real estate (finance with mortgage) can help hedging inflation, but too many other factors moving the price make it a flawed hedge. If your sole purpose is to hedge inflation (and afraid that Gold is in bubble), buy TIPS and short same dated treasury.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd like to take issue with this point from the article:

Quote:

Be aware that interest rates and prices don't move in lock-step. Interest rates could well rise much faster and more precipitously than prices. That could be a big problem for investors who think Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) offer total protection. They do protect the value of investors money in times of consumer price inflation, but they don't offer much protection against runaway interest rates.

While interest rates and prices are obviously not guaranteed to move in lock step, they actually did stay pretty close during The Great Inflation of the 1960's - 1980's. See Chart 50 on page 432 of A History of Interest Rates, Fourth Edition. If you only looked at real interest rates, you may not know that this was a period of high inflation.

Quote:

I'm still struggling with this idea. It's times like this that I wish I wasn't mathematically illiterate! If I buy a house today for 300k (with a 30 year fixed at 5%) and it goes down 20% over the next five years, how much inflation (and over what time period) would be required for the purchase to work in my favor?

That depends on what you would consider "working in your favor." I suppose one measure could be that the total real cost of all past and future payments is less than or equal to the market price of the home at that time. That ignores a ton of factors, like maintenance, insurance, property taxes, tax savings, imputed rent, and so on, but I think it distills the problem down to one that is a function of the debt itself. That's relevant because the point made in the article was that it would be the fixed rate debt that would make owning a home advantageous during a period of high inflation.

What makes me very skeptical of this line of reasoning is that higher inflation won't just drive down the real value of your debt, it will also drive down the real value of your house. I wouldn't take a 20% price decline as a given and try to work out an advantageous inflation rate from there because the percentage decline will be a function of inflation (among other things). I worked through an example last week with a purchase now at 20% down with a 5% fixed loan and inflation rising to 8% and concluded that the result could very plausibly be a 37% real price decline due to the higher mortgage rates that would result from higher inflation. That was the decline without any change at all to the real value of the down payment or the real value of the monthly payments, so the result could be even worse if income doesn't keep pace with inflation, for instance.

The reason that I might personally consider using housing as a hedge against inflation is that the alternatives look even worse. I don't know of anything which is a sure store of value. I would buy it as a hedge when it is the least bad option rather than when I would expect it to break even.

All that said, I tried to come up with an answer to your original question anyway by creating a spreadsheet (it's in OpenOffice format):

http://www.bostonbubble.com/sup/inflation_what_if.20091217.ods

I actually wasn't able to find any level of inflation for any time period less than or equal to 30 years that would make up for a 20% nominal decline over the first five years. I was very surprised at this. I think the key is that the more you increase inflation to decrease your total debt, the more the real value declines over that initial 5 year period. (I assumed that the nominal price of the house would increase with inflation thereafter.) I was able to come up with a scenario where inflation did end up resulting in a real gain by assuming flat nominal prices for the first 5 years and an 11% inflation rate, but it took 20 years to get to the gain.

I am still very surprised at how these results turned out - my math could very well be wrong. I do want to emphasize, though, this doesn't even factor in the price declines that would be induced by higher mortgage rates, so the actual loss in value could be much worse.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks admin!

Quote:
I was able to come up with a scenario where inflation did end up resulting in a real gain by assuming flat nominal prices for the first 5 years and an 11% inflation rate, but it took 20 years to get to the gain.

That's depressing. That's the best-case scenario if you're trying to use house dept as an inflation hedge, and it still isn't great. I was hoping that believing in high inflation would point me toward buying despite believing in the possibility of further large price decreases, but that doesn't seem to be the case. One of these days I'll come up with a scenario that will allow me think that buying a house is a good idea!
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would buy it as a hedge when it is the least bad option rather than when I would expect it to break even.

Maybe that's how I'll talk myself into buying. It's the least bad option!
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be afraid of buying because I'm not confident that my income will rise much over the next 5 years. Generally when you buy you get as much as you (and because anything less than that stinks around here), toughing it out for the first few years while your income catches up. Except if your income isn't rising then you'll just be toughing it out. Suppose 5 years is correct, then you'll be looking at living paycheck to paycheck for maybe 10 years. I think the time to buy is when incomes start rising again, if not for the future value of the home then for yourself. You're right that there's only correlation over the long term with incomes because of other factors but I think other factors are also pointing in the same direction (interest rates will go up starting in 2010, mortgages will be harder to get, incomes will stagnate, unemployment will remain high, taxes will rise, etc).
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

'house', 'hedge','inflation' shouldn't be used in one sentence. Doing so shows that the person who's writing this has no idea about house prices, and worst of all, saying this assumes that house prices for any time period will always grow long term! This is nonsense.

Whether something is a hedge against inflation is understood after the fact. We can look back 20 years and see that on average owning a house (if you bought and held on for 20 years) may net you about inflation. Does this mean that a house is a hedge against inflation? Hell no. An average of all those who bought in 2005 will have a completely different result in 20 years, having overpaid by an order of magnitude, and they'll be lucky if they break even. And of course, even saying that in the past 20 years a house 'yielded' inflation actually assumes many other things, such as
1) That somebody actually sold the house in exactly 20 years (and not in 5-7, which is the average)
2) A VERY specific 20 year period. Unless you analyze every overlapping 20 year period in one year increments...
3) That this will necessarily be the case in the future, which it will not.

This is like saying that stocks are a hedge against inflation. Again, complete nonsense. If you happen to know what you are doing, maybe you can do well, and maybe not. Same goes for real estate, commodities, etc. Nothing is a hedge. A properly managed portfolio may provide a hedge against inflation, and STILL you may be able to find a period when this portfolio underperforms (or possibly yields less than inflation). The whole point of investing is the ability to take risks such that on average, the result will beat inflation, but there are no guarantees. Real estate is not such an asset, and neither are stocks. In fact, very few assets beat inflation, unless you are one of those people who bought IBM 30 years ago and held on. For every one of these people, there are thousands who bought Qualcom in 2000 (for $1000 a share). Investor returns are usually much worse than a hypothetical average, simply (and I want to say this as clear as I can) BECAUSE AN AVERAGE INVESTOR ALWAYS UNDERPERFORMS THE AVERAGE.

This is a fact, not a hypothesis. Very few investors actually make what the market makes (or what the Case-Schiller index returns, if you had the ability to invest in it). And of course, how many investors HONESTLY calculate their total ROI? Again, very few. Stick to the basics. Interest on the house <= rent paid. Keep a slush fund for expenses. A house is a big money drain, period. The only reason to upgrade is for a supposedly better lifestyle (if you can afford it). That is, new furniture, new kitchen, new basement, house cleaning, lots of repairs, landscaping, and many other things such as taxes, water bill, heat and electricity. And of course, the time you spend doing all of the repairs/chores yourself is the time you don't spend with your kids (or giving yourself a break from work).
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think the average return for a house is slightly above inflation so the average investor has kept up. The typical investor, however, is not average. We know that the coasts had significantly higher appreciation than the rest of the country so other parts of the country must have had significantly less. My parent's house is one of those for example. Not that they live in a bad idea (actually, it has grown a lot) but rather in San Antonio you are largely paying for the building and their building has become older, even if the land has appreciated (it's not just a deduction against your taxes!). It is unfortunately very hard to reduce risk when it comes to purchasing a house. You can't buy little pieces of lots of houses and you can't dollar cost average. For an investment, it kind of stinks because the risk is high and there is little or no growth. There is, however, high risk which means that, like the lottery, you can hit it big (or lose big as many people have learned over the last 2 years).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.