bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Tax credit expiration
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:00 am GMT    Post subject: Tax credit expiration Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea how well house sales are doing in Boston after the tax credit expiration? How about after the turbulence this week (does the stock market even shake the confidence of buyers?)?
CC

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too early to tell, but I think the market will decline again probably 2 months from now.

We will see!
JCK

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're keeping tabs on the number of places going under agreement (which I don't know how to do), you won't see the change in sales for a couple months.

The real question is how much demand was pulled forward by the tax credit. If the credit was very important to buyers, then we should see a big slump now. If not, then things will continue as they were.

I suspect the credit has little impact in the "immune" towns that most on this board are concerned with, as I doubt that most of the immune town buyers are FTHBs. (And the $6500 credit for repeat buyers is nothing next to an $800k home.)
balor123

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immune towns will be affected but it will take longer. Boston has a huge pipeline and if the beginning of the pipeline isn't filling up at the same rate you can bet the end will eventually be emptying at a slower rate as well.
jfunk138

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have noticed from my daily Redfin updates on areas of interest is the pace of new listings has slowed considerably from March and April. While I didn't see this coming, I'm starting to think now that not only was "demand" pushed forward by the credit, "supply" was also pushed forward. While buyers rushed to find houses, sellers also rushed to get their's on the market. Now that the pressure is gone both supply and demand are lower.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observation and makes sense. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case. Doesn't mean anything for prices except that RE lobbies will fight hard to spur demand even if no one is in trouble.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google chart tracking the term “Boston Real Estate”

As expected... I suppose there's a chance people aren't using the internet to buy houses anymore.
Brian C

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two houses in my neighborhood aggressively dropped their prices from $430k to $399k in April to draw in interest. Well the open houses were packed and they did see offers because they were taken off the market 3-4 times over the month.

But the deal or financing feel apart because both properties are back on the market. One of the properties even went back to their original $430k price!

One property on my street was one the market for over 200days without a price drop. On May 1st, they took it off the market. Last I heard, they are renovating the kitchen and bathrooms so they can put it back on at their $440k price. FYI - my "project" house across the street sold for $310k.

My realtor friend told me that she has customers who are providing their own "rebate" by providing $8k towards closing or downpayment for the buyers. So far, its working since buyers felt like they missed the boat and she's moved 3 houses last week on those terms.
CC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian C wrote:
Two houses in my neighborhood aggressively dropped their prices from $430k to $399k in April to draw in interest. Well the open houses were packed and they did see offers because they were taken off the market 3-4 times over the month.

But the deal or financing feel apart because both properties are back on the market. One of the properties even went back to their original $430k price!

They either don't want to sell it or they can't afford to sell it at either $430k or $399k price. The market has already been telling them the house DOES NOT worth $382k ($399k- $8k tax) at all. Besides, if buyers know they used to price at $399k before April 30th, no one will take the $430k new listing price seriously.

I know selling a house is a big deal, but I really don't understand since it's just business, why lots people or their agents are not using their brains.
CC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Google chart tracking the term “Boston Real Estate”

As expected... I suppose there's a chance people aren't using the internet to buy houses anymore.

I suppose people aren't not interested in houses anymore.
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

" immune towns"

Name one...no such animal
CL

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brookline?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" immune towns"

Name one...no such animal

I think for the sake of this forum, these are the towns where the educated elite like to hang out. The short list is Newton, Belmont, Wellesley, Lexington, etc. The theory here is that these towns are full of precocious children and well off parents so that if a couple moves there ... their child would have a great chance of getting into Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge, or some 6-7 yr medical program of the likes of a Johns Hopkins type of aplomb.

In reality, the *good* students from these towns gets into UMass or Northeastern w/ near-to-full scholarship and then discovers that they have to borrow money for Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Tufts, Carnegie-Mellon, etc, if they get accepted. Then, the parents justify the exorbitant prices by arguing that a child can't do well at Leominster high school w/o constant supervision by an authoritarian parent or instructor, yada, yada ad nauseam.
CL

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re immune town: I initially thought immune town means the area where home price has the least downside risk. Brookline is special in a sense that it is very limited supply (especially newer housing stock) but very high demand (because of school system, proximity to Boston, easy commute, close to Longwood medical and BU think doctors and profs, etc), so there is structural reason why the price is high and defensive.

Re immune town as educated elite gathering spots: Of course not all the kids in these towns are going to Harvard and Oxbridge - that's fairly obvious.

The question is, all else equal, which school system give you a better chance to be successful, Newton or Watertown? Winchester or Woburn?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The question is, all else equal, which school system give you a better chance to be successful, Newton or Watertown? Winchester or Woburn?

Normally, it's a question of safety, as a I knew kids from all of those places some decades ago. Back then, none of those towns had dangerous *gangland* territories for kids. I hope that hasn't changed. Thus, aside from initial parental wealth, I saw practically no difference, once you eliminate the extremes in family income.

Many kids, in the end (once the financial hammer fell), ended up at either a public college (one of the UMasses) or Northeastern w/CO-OP. The kids from Newton or Winchester, who went on the Harvard, Columbia, Stanfords tended to be from the same types of parents who put 'em through the resume building rituals plus pre-H.S. SAT prep. These parents are typically doctors, professors, lawyers, or aggressive professionals (exec or otherwise). And from what I'd gathered, it was the same sorts of parents for the other non-immune towns as well, however, competition for the top 5% is a lot lower there so it's a better place to be since that's what generates the midwestern scholarships to the Washington Univ, Carnegie-Mellon, etc. Realize this ... outside of Boston, the midwestern financial aid committees don't sit around and compare Newton to Marblehead. What they want is geographic spread ala students from Northeast-MA, with high class rank/high SAT, and so they try to grant these kids scholarships so that their student population has an even national geographic spread along with high GPA/SAT. Just gaining pure admissions w/o concern for financial aid is more SAT I/II based. Many kids in Newton and Wincester do well in getting into places like Cornell, Brandeis, RPI, NYU, etc, however, they tend to get short changed in the scholarship dept since they're neither top of the class (in addendum to their top SAT I/II numbers) nor from a faraway state like North Dakota.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.