bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

House Hunters Boston - empty and unoccupied homes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:14 am GMT    Post subject: House Hunters Boston - empty and unoccupied homes? Reply with quote

House Hunters episode last night was a couple seeking a big home in the suburbs of Boston. The Boston area home shoppers were able to look at 3 uninhabited homes. Doesn't anyone find it unusual that the real estate market is super hot and yet every potential home owner on house hunters has three unoccupied homes to look at!

Talk to every body you know about their home buying experience and you'll learn that most home buyers look at occupied homes (with the exception of new construction and then it is usually in the process of being built).

The best part is this Boston area couple doesn't even recognize that the should be making a true low ball offer. But, the house they decide they must have has an asking price of $850K and they the home for $830K (if my memory serves me well).

When I bought my last home I didn't look at any unoccupied homes, how is it possible that every one believes that the market is tight when there are so many empty and unoccupied homes?
http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters/show/index.html
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few unoccupied homes in my search, which started around February. I don't think it has been the majority, but it hasn't be unusual. I think most (but not all) of the unoccupied ones have been estate sales. I don't know that this is necessarily at odds with a tight market, if what is being choked off is the supply of sellers who have discretion over whether to sell. Those who have a choice over whether to sell or not may be staying put because they have golden shackles of ultra low mortgage rates that may not exist again in our lifetimes. I would think that should choke off some demand too, from move-up buyers, which could make the market much more volatile as the inflection point in inventory may have moved lower. Time will tell. I think things could get interesting soon when inventory goes higher YOY.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:39 am GMT    Post subject: Talk to older folks about when they bought Reply with quote

Admin,
It is unusual when a single buyer can find multiple empty homes (for whatever the reason) . Think about the math and the tight market is a short term illusion because of the biggest housing bust since the great depression.

I think their is a lot of psychology at work making people feel the pressure to buy when if in fact there is more and more inventory sitting in the wings.

Ask anyone you know who is over 40 what it was like when they searched for their first home and how many empty homes did they find?

Regards.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree that the inventory crunch of 2013 was temporary. I don't know when it will end for sure (I'd like to think that it is ending now), but it is a blatant outlier.

- admin
CL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin - Am I missing something when I saw your link? When I see the inventory time series graph the annual peak goes from 40000+ in 2007, then 35000 in 2008, then 27000+ in 2009-11 then 24000 in 2012 and 19000 in 2013. Why you think it's just a temporary crunch?

I am thinking with interest rate going down from 6%+ in 2007 to 3% in 2013, more and more people have locked down ultra low fixed rate mortgage and those serve as big disincentive to move, thus drying up the inventory. Once interest rate moves up, inventory maybe even tighter.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Admin - Am I missing something when I saw your link? When I see the inventory time series graph the annual peak goes from 40000+ in 2007, then 35000 in 2008, then 27000+ in 2009-11 then 24000 in 2012 and 19000 in 2013. Why you think it's just a temporary crunch?

That's the graph I was referring to, but my point in referencing it was to demonstrate that 2013 was a blatant outlier. I should explain how I'm interpreting it. I was thinking that the inventory levels were effectively flat from 2009 - 2012 inclusive. Yes, the years before that the inventory was in a secular decline. I mentally attributed that to the air coming out of the housing bubble, as the timing is correct for that - inventory lost due to seller attrition and fewer new sellers because they could no longer get the price they need or think they need. With that in mind, 2013 would be anomalous on the chart.

I think you're saying that inventory has been in a secular decline the whole time and that the plateau from 2009 - 2012 was what was anomalous. Perhaps. I don't think being locked into ultra low rates would explain a larger, secular decline, though. Rates have been falling the whole time (except for very recently), and so the lock in could not account for the declining inventory before 2009. I think that the bubble bursting is a more likely explanation.

In fact, while I've suggested myself before that ultra low rates may be locking potential sellers in and holding down current inventory, now that I've thought about it further, I don't think that could explain the recent inventory crunch (though it could be a factor going forward). Winter 2012 and spring 2013 would have been too soon for rising rates to choke inventory due to potential sellers being locked into lower rates, because rates were still falling, and falling dramatically at that.

One thing to note is that while inventory has been down massively this year, sales volume has actually been up. I would think that's related. That is, inventory is lower because more sales are occurring. More sales were occurring because of the plunge in mortgage rates which began in fall 2012 (that's my hypothesis anyway).

Another factor that makes me think that the inventory crunch is temporary is that I have read anecdotes about inventory already surging elsewhere in the country, following the recent surge in mortgage rates. This in places that followed the same pattern as Boston beforehand, with tight inventory and spiking prices following the plunge in rates in fall 2012. These are just anecdotes that I haven't analyzed with any rigor.

Finally, at some point I expect the exit of the Baby Boomers to be the dominant factor in the market. That could take decades to play out, so it might not cause an inflection point very soon, but I do expect it to keep the current inventory crunch from being permanent. Say it takes 10 years for the inflection point - that's not "temporary" enough to help those looking to buy now, but it is in fact just "temporary" enough to screw them over because when they want/need to resell their home, they would be competing with much higher inventory.

The same unfortunate timing applies to other factors. For example, low interest rates might stick around long enough to make it impossible to not be locked into a high cost basis if buying in the next few years while at the same time not being permanent enough to allow the next buyer to pay the same (in real terms) when you want to sell ~10 years later.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Lack of supply of homes - unlimited supply of credit Reply with quote

I have no idea what's going to happen the future.

But, I'd make the case that there are lots of marginal buyers/mortgage holders. For example, that horrific case in Arlington recently were home owners/mortgage holders. In the crazy days of today credit is very loose and everybody is joining the party.

But, the same old story of limit supply and if we travel back to 2004 what were they saying about Real estate supply. In every bull market tight supply is the rallying cry from every corner.

https://www.tbf.org/~/media/TBFOrg/Files/Reports/2003%20Housing%20Report%20Card.pdf

http://iris.lib.neu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1016&context=dukakis_pubs
gdma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you also have to realize HH and other reality shows are usually staged.

In HH, the house hunters usually have already purchased/decided on their house. Then 2 other houses are put into the show.

I believe the market is tight in some areas, not in others. Probably price range specific too. In my area, I'm too far from Boston (outside 128 unfortunately) so nothing is selling. Yet you'd think developers/sellers will drop their asking, but I see only minuscule price decreases if any.
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:44 pm GMT    Post subject: House Hunters and crazy markets Reply with quote

gdma,

Yep, I agree house hunters is stage- it is a television show. But, House Hunter always has empty home waiting to be shown. It's an indication to me that there is loads of inventory sitting in the wings and will appear on the market some day.

Yes, tight markets and you'd better buy real estate today while interest rates are low! Its the same tale in every tight market in the country and there are lots of other booming markets besides Boston.

Why are all these special markets booming while places in the country don't sell. Many of the urban settings have industries that thrive in our current distorted economy. In Boston you have BioTech (source of funds government and equity markets), Education (source of funds cheap financing for people buying $40K-$50K a year to send children to College)(lots of Govt support to Colleges), the Mutual Fund Industry.

So, the question for someone who is considering buying what happens to our world when interest rates are rising for years to come? Can Education keep raising prices on a college education when financing costs are rising?
Can houses go up in price when financing a mortgage gets more expensive?

Markets can trade illogically for a long time with market players trading on false information. Look at the Income statements of many of today high flying stocks and you'll discover that their income is often the same as 2010.

I'm not sure how or when the madness will end, but it will end one day. Mortgages today are sold because the Government is the Secondary market and buys up 98-99% of all mortgages that are sold. That is not a normal real estate market and only a shorter term illusion.

Here is a presentation by Freddie Mac- making my point that the Feds are the Mortgage market:

www.freddiemac.com/investors/pdffiles/investor-presentation.pdf

Go to page 10 of the above presentation to see Government entities are 98% of the secondary market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.