bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

It is 2006 again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 am GMT    Post subject: It is 2006 again Reply with quote

Now there is so few homes for sale it seems that the right sellers can ask truly out of touch prices ( and often are getting them). I wonder at what point will the need to sell, increasing supply, help reduce price. Or is there and inflection point at which the market will no longer support these prices... Or with an increase in interest rates will this finally put a cap on "buying power"

As for buying power, does anyone else see it as a risk? If interest rates are 3% and i can afford at $750k home does that reduce my buying power to around 540k at 6% (still a historically low rate) ... If that takes place, and no significant economic advancements, i have to assume i would be "underwater"

238 Austin St, Newton, MA 02465
For Sale: $779,000
Lot:7,840 sqft
Year Built:1927
Last Sold:Nov 2008 for $555,000

No Updates and 224k appreciation in 5 years

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/238-Austin-St-Newton-MA-02465/56306635_zpid/

993 Walnut St, Newton, MA 02461
For Sale: $699,000

Bathrooms:2 baths
Single Family:2,050 sq ft
Lot:6,516 sqft
Year Built:1951
Last Sold:Mar 2004 for $470,000
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for buying power, does anyone else see it as a risk?

I see it as a massive risk. I am trying to buy now and I fully expect to lose a lot of money in real terms (at least on paper) if interest rates rise or any other number of plausible points of failure occur.

Quote:
Or is there and inflection point at which the market will no longer support these prices... Or with an increase in interest rates will this finally put a cap on "buying power"

There was a surge in mortgage rates over the summer that slammed the brakes on so called "affordability." That wouldn't show up in the Case-Shiller data until around the end of the year at the earliest, and it could take much longer if the excess demand that the preceding plunge in rates pulled forward takes time to burn off. (And it might not matter if mortgage rates retrench.)

If you're looking for an inflection point (I know I am), follow the inventory:

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/asking-prices/massachusetts/boston/

It's close to going positive YOY for the first time this year. It's also higher now than it has been all year, except in May, and it is still rising even though it is normally falling this time of year. The inflection could be soon, if mortgage rates stay put or rise.

You should also read Mark Hanson's blog for some good perspective on the shift in mortgage rates:

http://mhanson.com/blog

- admin
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Buying now - need to wait for a shift in psychology Reply with quote

The biggest risk RIGHT now is everyone is convinced the NOW is the time to buy and you are competiting against everyone.

MHanson thesis is that there will be a House Buying Demand short fall as a result of the flurry of activity. Its likely you'll at least get a better price than buying while Everyone is saying NOW is the time to buy.

Lets make a stock analogy....the time to buy Apple was when in was trading in the $50-$90 range and no one was talking about it......it highly unlikely to be a good bet when everyone is waiting for the next innovation.

TSLA- everyone is talking about it now that its increased in value by 300-400% ..........

Gold no one wants it now and they didn't want to buy it at $350 or $800 because it was a bubble.

Train your self to ignore the crowd and right at this moment everyone is into real estate. I suspect the R/E fever will calm in the coming months and you'll get a more reasonable price (you won't get a steal necessarily or maybe you will).

Regards.
BS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the crowd:

Arlington i like your sentiment and analogies however as I see it this market has be irrational for a very long time with a 2 year period of subtle sobriety.

I have 40% down money, but i still do not think i will buy... Maybe i will be a long time renter. I just cannot get behind the irrationality that seems to be supported by heavily "lobbied" organizations including the Fed, Realtors and financial institutions.

With these entities creating a artificial demand and supply and demand not being aligned with historic standards.. . I cannot fathom a way we do not see this imploding without external macro eco factors not changing greatly
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your down payment has some exposure to something that does well with inflation - Gold....expect volatility and only sell on highs.....
Gold can be purchased through your std brokerage as GLD or PHYS or others.

Or Drive to Canada - open a Canadian Bank account....this will protect your money/savings from the US Federal Reserve. This is legal ...you just declare you have a foreign bank account on your Taxes.

Do a combination of the above...

watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80NjUJPlH9Q
Dismayed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Gold? Seriously??? Reply with quote

Arlingtonian wrote:
Make sure your down payment has some exposure to something that does well with inflation - Gold....expect volatility and only sell on highs.....
Gold can be purchased through your std brokerage as GLD or PHYS or others.

Or Drive to Canada - open a Canadian Bank account....this will protect your money/savings from the US Federal Reserve. This is legal ...you just declare you have a foreign bank account on your Taxes.

Do a combination of the above...

watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80NjUJPlH9Q

You'd be crazy to buy gold now. It's in a bubble because of irrational fears of inflation. Look at Japan - still fighting deflation in spite of multiple attempts at QE.

The rational thing to do is to invest in multiple asset classes, and to figure out how much risk you can tolerate.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "BS", 238 Austin just dropped to $749K. I know your original point still stands, I just noticed it dropped because it was actually one of the places I looked at this spring and I've been keeping an eye on it. I actually liked it, but my wife wasn't as keen on it.

- admin
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismayed,

Multiple Asset classes - is there an asset class that hasn't risen in the lat year??? Emerging Markets perhaps is a asset class worth considering because it would get you out of US Dollars. But , hard to do safely.

Japan does not equal USA

I wish you well.

Kind Regards.
hopeful61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlingtonian:

I have a lot of cash sitting in various accounts, enough to pay cash for a property yet I've been told it's better to have a mortgage (with the low rates). This savings is reportedly FDIC insured. After reading your last post about opening an account in Canada, and other things I've been reading lately, I am feeling fearful about having so much cash lying around. I haven't bought yet because of craziness in the current market and I don't want to make a mistake since I am also planning retirement and I'm self -employed.

What are your thoughts? Is my cash safe? What would you do with it?

Thanks.
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Protecting Cash Reply with quote

"
I have a lot of cash sitting in various accounts, enough to pay cash for a property yet I've been told it's better to have a mortgage (with the low rates). This savings is reportedly FDIC insured. After reading your last post about opening an account in Canada, and other things I've been reading lately, I am feeling fearful about having so much cash lying around. I haven't bought yet because of craziness in the current market and I don't want to make a mistake since I am also planning retirement and I'm self -employed.

What are your thoughts? Is my cash safe? What would you do with it?

Thanks."

Its very challenging environment to protect your cash in the midst of this craziness. I am not a financial advisor and certainly can't give advice.

Your Money is safe in a Bank- you just don't want to use just one Bank because Banks do close here in the United States and its just a worry you don't need. http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html

Some folks like to own some gold or gold related investments. The problem with Inflation hedges is they can swing in value - and it will scare the day lights out of you. I'm happy I own them but you never get the timing right. If you own a hedge like a gold investment you need to be willing to wait for US Dollar weakness to sell (never want to sell during a period of US Dollar strength like we are currently experiencing).

Opening a Canadian Bank Account is perfectly legal - they can issue an ATM card are then you'll have currency diversification (but, remember diversification can move in positive or negative directions)

So, step one start educating your self. -- Fred Hickey's High Tech Strategist letter is $140+ per year (I'm not affiliated with him - just a humble subscriber). Mr Hickey is an expert and I'm hoping to have his kind of keen insight someday.

Regards
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: It is 2006 again Reply with quote

BS wrote:

238 Austin St, Newton, MA 02465
For Sale: $779,000
Lot:7,840 sqft
Year Built:1927
Last Sold:Nov 2008 for $555,000

No Updates and 224k appreciation in 5 years

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/238-Austin-St-Newton-MA-02465/56306635_zpid/

Now asking price for that one has fallen to $599,900. That would be an annualized nominal appreciation of 1.57%, which is in the ballpark of what inflation has been.

- admin
showgunxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm GMT    Post subject: from 224k back to 45k Reply with quote

I think this place is 'priced right'. It is kind of next to the highway though(but on the 'rich side' of highway), so owner will have to get used to the highway white noise.
Even for the lower price, with interest rate in around 4.4% for 30 years, you need close to $3000(mortgage plus tax) each month to own it. Add that on top with utilities and maintenance, it might get close to $3500 per month. Too bad it requires that kind of money, to own a low to mid price level home like this one in newton.
Unless your household income is in 120,000+ range, Just skip for now.

Evil or Very Mad
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very next to the highway and commuter rail. I could definitely hear the white noise from the highway when I visited, as well as the commuter rail. However, it is raised up enough that I thought the highway noise would be tolerable and would probably be drowned out by a fan. I'd wonder more about all the exhaust fumes, personally.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I also agree with your $120K+ income comment and needing that much (or a giant down payment) to consider buying what passes for a low to mid priced home there. What's ironic is that $120K is well above the household median for Newton. Check out the "household income distribution" graph about a quarter of the way down this page:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Newton-Massachusetts.html

It makes me suspect that the Baby Boomers are propping up prices by not selling (among other factors). If that's the case, then the situation could work in reverse over the next few decades as they move on. The timing is too broad to help those who want to buy soon but also close enough to screw them over because it presents a serious risk of being a headwind when they eventually want or need to sell.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3x income rule of thumb is completely out the door, right? I thought part of that rule was insulating yourself against large changes in housing prices, which used to happen fairly often. It seems to me a $600k property purchased on a $120k income is quite a stretch at 5x! If that kind of leverage is considered safe, then perhaps we didn't need to leave MA. Seems like we could have purchased some very nice properties after all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.