bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Will Greater Boston's Housing Market Get Worst?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Will Greater Boston's Housing Market Get Worst? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Because I have been rented for so long (since 1992 when I was a student), and my landlord is not very good. I plan to buy a house probably this year or before next spring. However, is it a good time to buy?

Although the interest rate is still low, I checked ziprealty.com and found most houses in Randolph, Willingtom, Tewsbury are still very expensive. Especially if I count property tax and utility cost.

For example, this house (89 FERNANDEZ CIR, Randolph, MA 02368), size: 1454/ 12,197 Sq Ft. is listed $345K. Is it expensive? I checked the household income of this city. It's not that much. How could most new buyers afford living there?

Any thought?

Cheers,

CJ
Phil O. Math

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Real Estate Prices Continue to Fall Reply with quote

CJ, if your landlord sucks then find another place to rent. Now is not a good time to buy. The fundamentals of real estate prices are the ratios of average price to average income and average price to average rent. These 2 ratios have maintained a relatively stable mean for over a hundred years, until now. Even with the declines over the past year, the price of real estate is still very high compared to average rents and average incomes. A reversion to the mean is inevitable and this will mean continued price declines.

But don't take my word for it - keep reading and keep researching.
brutus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 pm GMT    Post subject: the herd Reply with quote

When prices are down, buy. When prices are up, sell.

Don't listen to the real estate "scientists" though. They are just part of the herd mentality that persists in real estate whether prices are rising or falling.
Live with the herd, die in the stampede.

A house is a place to live. It's only an investment if you are an expert (you're not) or if you hold it for 7-10 years. I've been through a lot of real estate cycles and the pattern is always the same: prices fall and everyone says "Don't buy!" Prices rise and everyone yells "buy now! Quick!"

The bottom is here. By the time prices start to go up, it will be too late to get a good deal. You'll have to slug it out for every decent piece of property with 10 other buyers that waited until the Boston Globe said it was Ok to buy.

Leave the herd. I know one investor who has bought five homes in the last month. They pray for times like these. You sow the seeds of profit the money when the markets are DOWN. When the market goes up you reap.
I know. I've been doing it since 1980
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: the herd Reply with quote

brutus wrote:

The bottom is here. By the time prices start to go up, it will be too late to get a good deal. You'll have to slug it out for every decent piece of property with 10 other buyers that waited until the Boston Globe said it was Ok to buy.

On what are you basing the assertion that the bottom is here? The price to income ratio is still a lot higher than it has been historically. Also, during the last down cycle, it skipped along the bottom for several years before heading back up, so I don't think that people missed out by waiting a little.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Value investing Reply with quote

Brutus' argument is that because the slope of the house price curve is negative, then it must be a good time to buy. Indeed, historically value investing is often more profitable than growth investing. However, a negative slope on the price curve does not imply a value. It is useful to refer to another recent bubble to understand: the tech bubble.
Prices declined in 2000 but that didn't make investing in NASDAQ stocks a good idea in 2000. From this graph, you can see that the best time to invest was about 2003. Clearly, then, value is defined by another measure. In the case of stocks it might be P/E ratios. In the case of real estate, price to income ratio is a good metric. By this metric, it is still a terrible time to buy. Qualitatively, even amongst the bulls, I haven't found one argument as to why housing prices would increase ignoring the downward pressure. In short, determining value based on price changes alone is akin to momentum investing, not value investing.[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The National Association of Realtors
believe the bottom is in
and now is a great time to buy Exclamation

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.