bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

MLS games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Winchester well and never had an interest in the town. Density was too low for my tastes. I agree that many parts aren't all that pretty though.

Didn't notice the purchase price. A million dollar markup? That's insane. There's at least a few hundred thousand dollars of froth then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Winchester is somewhat of a secret. Except few areas it is one of the prettiest town around Boston, with tons of mid and upper class historic houses from the late 1800s and early 1900s, where it become a trendy wealthy Boston suburb. It has a nice well defined historic downtown and both commuter rail and buses to Alewife, and easy access to I-93. While I like Arlington for it's food options, I never understood why somebody would chose it over Winchester... there isn't even comparison. Judging by the prices in Arlington relative to Winchester, it's actually kinda crazy.

The house, despite being in horrible condition, was purchased well below the market value. They bought it from some idiot bum. It would easily go for $400k if not little more had it hit the market.

They redid the house and built a large addition larger than the house, I believe. So the markup may not be that bad, but still.
unclemat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And re density - the eastern part of the town is quite dense as dense as Arlington it's north-eastern part particularly. The western (west of Rt. 3) is for the most part boring post-WWII suburb with tons of ugly ranches and splits lacking character. Fortunately many meet wrecker ball these days! Razz
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commute into Cambridge is quicker from Arlington, no? Land prices always increase as you get closer to urban areas. As others have stated, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the walkability of Arlington and restaurants. Schools are pretty good and there's a relative good supply of tear downs. I don't care much for old homes, whether they were expensive or not. If it has to be old, though, then it may as well be expensive I suppose Smile
unclemat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Cambridge commute - depends where you are and where you are going. Commuter rail goes to North Station so it's relatively inconvenient. Driving to Cambridge I'd argue is easier from Winchester. Along Rt.3 there is a bus to Alewife, and the ride time is about the same as from Arlington Heights.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Brookline, Waltham, and Metrowest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.