bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

On Point - Housing Bubble Bail Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:26 pm GMT    Post subject: On Point - Housing Bubble Bail Out Reply with quote

Rep. Frank on On Point (WBUR) today at 10 to talk about his bailout.

90.9 on the FM, or you can listen to the online stream.
Hank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was interesting.

ON the plus side, I learned something new, which was to say that Rep. Frank did introduce legislation to regulate the types of loans prior to the aid bill for the lenders.
What is the real motive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: On Point - Housing Bubble Bail Out Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Rep. Frank on On Point (WBUR) today at 10 to talk about his bailout.

90.9 on the FM, or you can listen to the online stream.

While I have respect for some of BFs work, I dont know what to think about his housing bailout. the plans from Frank, Dodd, CLinton and Kerry seem like communism or stupidity. It is rewarding the foolish people who got themselves into trouble by their risk taking and punishing, via higher taxes, the prudent and cautious and hardworking people. It gets you into the ridiculous situation of people who are saving up to buy a house by the rules who will have to pay more taxes to keep people in the houses who should not have been there. These are smart politicians, so I tend to think they understand the dynamics and the inherent unfairness and are not motivated by compassion, but I fear by corruption and a desire to please the banking industry, that funds their re-election campaigns. This is not altruism, its self service above the common good.
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Barney Frank interview yesterday, and I have to say it seemed pretty reasonable to me. Two things in particular stood out:

First, he doesn't want to prop-up prices, just allow them to come down more slowly. This makes a lot of sense because it accomplishes the goal (get the prices back in line with historical trends) without causing a crash.

Second, he's not proposing a taxpayer-funded bailout. The government is taking on some of the risk by backing risky mortgages, but the main goal is to get lenders to figure out a way to keep borrowers from defaulting.

The high-level point that he was making is that doing nothing and allowing the whole housing/mortgage market to implode is bad for everyone, even people who didn't participate in it at all. As frustrating as that is, it's in all of our best interests to avoid a total blood-bath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.