bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Feb 2008 MA SFH sales fall 22.9% YOY, median price down 4.6%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Feb 2008 MA SFH sales fall 22.9% YOY, median price down 4.6% Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: Feb 2008 MA SFH sales fall 22.9% YOY, median price down 4.6% nominally. Condo sales down 34.6%, median price down 6.7% nominally.
URL: http://paper-money.blogspot.com/2008/03/collapsedachusetts-existing-home-sales.h ...truncated...
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=1565

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: Reference Suggestion Forum
Brian C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess for Feb 08 I guess was a little off.
Quote:
While we can't really use these numbers (sales I followed) to represent the entire state, we can guess that sales will be down about 25-30% below Jan 2008's numbers.

The difference between Jan 2007 and Feb 2007 sales was only -12% so with a expected 25-30% drop in Feb 2008, we should seeing 1389-1488 sales or 38% to 42% drop YOY for Feb 2008.

Rule: a small sample area (and price range) can't represent the projected state-wide numbers. real estate is local...blah..blah blah.

I will attempt to do the same counts for March 2008 and see where we stand.
spork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still seeing similar sales trends or worse in the towns I am looking at for March also. If March ends up worse or is about the same as Feb in sales-that is roughly a 50% decline in home sales YOY- a 50%+ decline is not unreasonable...

Of course it is not the whole state that I am looking at, but I review many towns/cities. You see a significant sales pick up come march previous years...and once again, more homes close at the end of the month, but I would bet on a horrible March! It looks bad from my perspective as of now.
Brian C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are my quick numbers for March

PROPERTY TYPES: Single Family
PRICE RANGE: Up to $475,000
COMMUNITIES: FRAMINGHAM, NATICK, NEEDHAM, WALTHAM, WATERTOWN

TIME FRAME: MARCH 1st to MARCH 21st

SFH: 45

SFH: 39

March 2008 vs March 2007 - 13% drop
CJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds right to me. I checked MLS listing very often. It looks like they are not moving at all.
spork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian C wrote:
here are my quick numbers for March

PROPERTY TYPES: Single Family
PRICE RANGE: Up to $475,000
COMMUNITIES: FRAMINGHAM, NATICK, NEEDHAM, WALTHAM, WATERTOWN

TIME FRAME: MARCH 1st to MARCH 21st

SFH: 45

SFH: 39

March 2008 vs March 2007 - 13% drop

You are looking at only a few towns and have a price cap...these are all issues if you want to project the data out like you alluded to in your first post.

I am only looking at central mass. There might be significant error in our projections due to this not being a representative example of the state as a whole. Also it seems like more than half of the properties close in the last few days of the month.

Unless we had easier access to the data, it seems is too much work to go in and try to track this by yourself (why I don't)-just wait until it is published. All I know is that like I said, if sales are flat compared to Feb 08, March would be around a 50% decline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.