bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Look homeward, Gen X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Look homeward, Gen X Reply with quote

Time for my weekly Globe Real Estate update. In today's addition we get a look at the “savviest home buyers around”.

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2008/03/02/look_homeward_gen_x/

Savvy, is not the term I would choose. Featured couple buy a 245k condo in Salem at the absolute peak of the bubble with a no money down, adjustable rate mortgage and piggyback. Under water and unable to sell, savvy buyer decides to purchase another property, a 1296 sq ft SF in Ashland for 385k, again using the no money down adjustable rate piggyback strategy (tells you something about the “savvy banks”). Even using overly optimistic estimates from the likes of Zillow and Cyberhomes they are now under water on property two, in essence paying the juice on 630k of high interest loans to live in a 1296 sq ft property where today one can buy a 2,191 sq ft two year old colonial for 359k. JPM and BofA get ready for some keys.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice research Exclamation

somehow the Globe left that part out
Booba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those notorious "independent" Boston Globe, the lapdog of real estate industry!
How many cheerleading stories they published? How many buyers they fooled? How much money the real estate gang made thanks to Boston Globe's real estate publications?
Real estate mafia must be really grateful Boston Globe that helped to inflate the bubble in Boston and now helps real estate gange to lure simple minds to fallen real estate matket.
jerseygirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Globe is clueless! Reply with quote

Yes, the GLOB(e) is absolutely the "lapdog" of the RE market (NAR)! I find it incomprehensible that the Globe hasn't run ONE Sunday Globe story that sheds some light on the seriousness situation at hand in RE. Every week when I see the cover story, I just think they have the blinders on and their ears covered. One excellent source of info, in addition to this one, I've found is the following website

www.patrick.net

Each day this site compiles headlines from around the US and abroad ... because, yes, when the US financial system is in trouble, it's a global issue! While it's slanted toward the CA market, it's still a great resource!

Did anyone see Barbara Corcoran on the Today show last week, claiming that the Boston & Chicago markets have "bottomed?" I just feel statements like that are absolutely irresponsible, especially when the numbers released last week show that housing prices in Boston are at somewhat of a tipping point. Robert Schiller even stated that "things look bleak everywhere" (in all US markets).

A couple of great recent stories ...

http://paper-money.blogspot.com/2008/01/crashachusetts-existing-home-sales.html

http://www.realtruth.org/articles/080229-007-abc.html?ref=patrick.net

I guess time will tell, but the more I read, the more I can't imagine anyone jumping into the RE market right now .... the magnitude of the financial (system) crises we're facing is unprecedented.
Paperboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Still waiting for the bottom Reply with quote

The globe really is an excuse to sell advertisements. Don't want to disturb the applecart, no stories about reality please.

I am glad I have not bought into the market has bottomed out BS.

Now when is somebody going to call bernanke on his irresponsible rate cuts.
Oh yes Ron Paul did call him on it but the Globe has a theory about Ron Paul, Ignore him and he will go away. Kind of like that cancerous lump that you decided to ignore. What its now full blown cancer????

Benny boy is saving the asses of the dimwit real estate investors, or at least trying to. But in the mean time we are going to need a mortgage to fill the car with gas and buy a loaf of bread. The dollar is going down in value, How about printing some more and seeing what happens????
john p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there is an economic pressure to cast a positive light on the market which many of your advertisement clients operate, but there are some writers at the Boston Globe that do try to call it balls and strikes.

I think that readers need to distinguish the responsible reporters and call out the ones that don't have a fundamental basis for their positions. When you think about it, to become a writer for the Globe, I'm sure your writing skills need to incredible so mastery of subject matter might be secondary. When a subject like housing graduates in importance, the Globe needs to underpin it's writing skills with subject matter experts or they will get exposed. I think it is about empowering the responsible reporters and not just the cheerleaders that root for our self interests...

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2006/09/26/mass_home_prices_fall_61_as_downturn_gathers_speed/?page=full
SoldAtTheTop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:49 am GMT    Post subject: 35 and in debt up to eyeballs = "savvy" homebuyers Reply with quote

I see a grand total of $645,400 of debt.

This “savvy” couple has a $196,400 first lien ARM (courtesy Fannie Freddie) and a $64,000 second lien on their Salem condo AND a $288,750 first lien ARM (courtesy Fannie Freddie) and $96,250 second lien on their Ashland home.

As Hard Rain noted, all of these “savvy” purchases came right at or just over the top of the market… Another great job by the Boston Globe…
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of others who may not have seen it, SoldAtTheTop wrote up a good commentary on the facade of which this example is only one instance:

http://paper-money.blogspot.com/2008/03/almost-daily-2-perception-is-reality.html

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.