bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

NAR commercial: House prices double every 10 years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 pm GMT    Post subject: NAR commercial: House prices double every 10 years Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just saw a commercial from the National Association of Realtors claiming that "on average" house prices double every 10 years. They provide no other information about how this claim was determined. The message was pretty clear, though: houses are a great investment.

Playing around with a savings calculator, I figured that in order to double in value over 10 years an asset must increase in value by 7% annually. If you take into account inflation it must increase by something like 10% annually.

My guess is that this "average" does not take into account inflation and is highly biased by the years 1999-2005. It's probably not technically lying, but it seems pretty close.

-Sam
Shoeshine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

House Prices historically rise 1/2 to 1% above the rate of inflation !

That's it

Type something like that statement into Google
and you will come up with numerous articles
stating the same thing
Exclamation Exclamation

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Is this the ad? The TV clip is a little over halfway down the page:

http://www.realtor.org/pac.nsf/pages/HomeValues

There is a little more information on how they arrived at their numbers at the top of the page:
Quote:

Over the past 30 years, the median price of existing homes has increased an average of more than 6 percent every year, and home values nearly double every 10 years, according to historical data from NAR’s existing home-sales series. Thanks to the power of leverage, a homeowner’s return on investment is even more impressive over time.

I find it surprising that they state in the present tense that "home values nearly double every 10 years." Perhaps that is what happened over the last thirty years (though even that is a shaky claim), but they are stating that this is what happens typically and implying that it should be expected in the future. Practically all legitimate investment vehicles carry the disclaimer that "past performance does not indicate future results," and I wonder why this ad flirts with saying the opposite.

Using the past 30 years as a guide could also be improved upon. Why not go back further? 30 years only represents the time period for a single mortgage, and it would be better to have more non-overlapping time periods. Professor Shiller's famous chart goes back to 1890 and indicates that typical appreciation has been less than 1% above inflation, as Shoeshine mentioned, and that even that modest increase was largely caused by the enormous spike in prices during the first half of this decade. Given that 6-7% appreciation is atypical from a deeper historical view and that prices are now higher than the norm due to the very recent surge, I'm not sure why they expect the surge to continue rather than to correct via lower than normal appreciation.

You may also be interested in a similar discussion of some NAR/MAR ads from last fall which ran on the radio, TV, and in print:

http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=514

- admin
samz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, that's the ad campaign I saw. I had the same reaction, but I think you put it more crisply -- it seems *very* unlikely in this case that past returns will predict future performance.

This part very interesting as well:

Quote:
For example, over 10 years, a $10,000 investment in the stock market at a normal 10 percent market rate of return would yield $23,600. The same investment as a down payment on a $200,000 home at a normal appreciation rate of 5 percent would return nearly 5 times the stock market return, at $110,300.

Here they describe the classic concept of leverage -- borrowing money to amplify gains. Under the NAR logic what I should do is borrow $200K and invest in the stock market. Of course they don't mention the downside of leverage -- amplifying losses. Consider the stupifying losses in hedge funds recently.

I find the whole campaign extremely distasteful, if not downright dishonest.

-Sam
steverino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

samz wrote:

I find the whole campaign extremely distasteful, if not downright dishonest.

-Sam

If that were a mutual fund ad, somebody would be getting real cozy with Large Marge on Cellblock 18 right now.

I seriously suggest someone contact the Mass Attorney General's office and make a complaint re: misleading advertising. This is just the crew to do it.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.autofish.net/clysm/images/films/largemarge1.png

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/largemarge/marge-background.jpg

http://www.drivl.com/img/articles/largemarge.jpg

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/largemarge/large-marge-sentya.gif

Steverino: Were you at the custom bike show at the BaySide Expo a couple of weeks ago?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.