bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Prices down in crime ridden neighborhoods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorchester grandma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Prices down in crime ridden neighborhoods Reply with quote

Prices have fallen in North Dorchester where so many shootings have occurred, There are some large attractive condos in three families. mostly bank owned, which are now dirt cheap. They are not selling because gun violence and gang activity are scaring away prospective buyers. Safer Neighborhoods are still sky high. Triple decker condos in Savin Hill, Lower Mills, Jones Hill and the neighborhood where I rent near Ashmont are still going for just under $300,000. In general Dorchester neighborhoods around the subway stations tend to be safer and a lot more expensive.

I considered buying in one of the more iffy areas to get a great deal but then thought of the grandkids, the remote possibility of stray bullets and decided that I will have to hold out for prices to come down further in Dorchester's safer areas.

Still looking in East Lynn, Diamond District, a very nice area near the ocean. Lynn in general has a lot of robberies, burglaries and such but thankfully very few murders. I don't even bother to look in areas discussedWVVWW on the site like Davis Square. It is always a dilemma when you are looking in lower price range, nice place in crime ridden neighborhood or possibly 2 room hole in the wall in safer, more upscale place.
Dorchester grandma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:44 pm GMT    Post subject: sorry for the typo in my post Reply with quote

Cat walked on keyboard Smile
mpm3131

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:20 am GMT    Post subject: North Dorchester Reply with quote

You and many others try to lump all of North Dorchester into the same demographic. The entire "olde towne" of Dorchester is much more accurately viewed as East Dorchester and West Dorchester. The boundary would be something like the beginning of Mass Ave at E. Everett Sq. down Columbia Rd, bear left past the Strand, around the base of Jones Hill to Dorchester Ave all the way down to the Neponset River. On the east side of this line things like "stray bullets" don't happen. The neighborhoods are densely packed and very diverse but they work. People tolerate each others differences. On the other side of that line it IS Dodge City outside of a few neighborhoods served by the T like Melville Park and Ashmont Hill. Dorchester is only 6 square miles in area yet has 100,000 people living in it of every race and color. People love this neighborhood and CHOOSE to live here. But if you would like the true demographic divide, think East and West Dorchester not North and South.
Dorchester grandma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 am GMT    Post subject: Dorchester neighborhoods Reply with quote

I live near Ashmont Station and there is not much gang violence happening here. My neighborhood is somewhat prosperous and evenly racially mixed, black, white, and Asian families which is something that I especially love about it. (unlike Savin Hill which is so predominately white). This kind of neighborhood does work and feels quite safe with friendly neighbors who put chairs on the street to designate their shoveled out parking spaces. It is still pretty expensive to buy here though.

I am sure that there are areas in Dorchester besides the obvious high priced areas like Savin Hill, Lower Mills and Jones Hill which are not plagued by shootings but I am not familiar with all of them. I have only lived in DOT for four years having come from Brighton.

I would love to buy a triple decker condo here like the one that I am currently renting. Almost every neighborhood contains lovely homes and some nice tree-lined streets. The lowest prices seem to be in areas where recent shootings have occurred however and the safety of my grandchildren comes before anything else. You seem to know Dorchester quite well. Any ideas about where to look outside of "Dodge City" would be appreciated Smile
BostonCondo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:11 pm GMT    Post subject: St. Marks Reply with quote

I have a 3BR in a triple decker near St. Mark's. It's a nice area, even though we did have shooting at the reseraunt on my block (everyone was shocked and it was the first incident in a long time around here). People around here tend to refer to it as The Florida Corridor. You probably know where it is if you live near Ashmont. Tons of places are for sale around here, my own included. Price ranges for 3BR are around $270K. Near the T and its a great area to live. I go past at least 3 other places for sale when I walk the dogs so I know you can probably find something decent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.