bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Middleton Condo Auction Sells Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Middleton Condo Auction Sells Out Reply with quote

[url]http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/01/28/daily27.html?b=1201496400^1583438[/url]

Take a look at this article, it really sets the tone for the condo market.

One of my relatives actually bought one of these condos at the auction. They paid $220k for a 2BR/2BA 1100sq ft unit that was originally $435k. While the condo fee was a little expensive ($450/month), im happy for her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link below should work

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/01/28/daily27.html?surround=lfn

Booba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:07 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Middleton Condo Auction Sells Out Reply with quote

Brian C wrote:
[url]http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/01/28/daily27.html?b=1201496400^1583438[/url]

Take a look at this article, it really sets the tone for the condo market.

One of my relatives actually bought one of these condos at the auction. They paid $220k for a 2BR/2BA 1100sq ft unit that was originally $435k. While the condo fee was a little expensive ($450/month), im happy for her.

A LITTLE expensive?????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
You MA guys are crazy! I pay $250 for the same condo, and we have swimming pool, lit tennis courts, 50 acres of trails, including half a mile riverfront (guess how long does it take to go fishing?), plus all maintenance in Nashua, NH.
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be quite reasonable for someone to cut down their commute by 1/2 hour each way, if the only cost is $200/mo in condo fees.

Think about it this way: If you are looking for a place to live and work in Boston, you can live in either Nashua, which is almost 1 hour from Boston, or Middleton, which is only about 1/2 hour away (according to Google Maps). If you save yourself 20 hours a month commuting, your time would only need to be worth $10/hr to make that difference pay for itself. That's even before you take into account additional commuting expenses such as gas, car maintenance, etc.

Of course, I'd think you could find a lower condo fees closer to Boston, but that's a separate discussion.
SamChady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm GMT    Post subject: To Booba Reply with quote

Crazy?

Why not live in Florida then? Or Nevada? Or Maine?
You can find places much cheaper there.

The reason is that people chose to live places for many reasons, and the laws of supply and demand set the prices.

I could say, "People are crazy to live in NH", because I don't want to own a car. In Boston, I can walk to the bus station, subway, and get to the airport or train station or anywhere else for $1.70. I can walk to over 50 restaurants. I find that city living is actually cheaper if you don't need a car, and much more fun for me since I love walking around and experiencing different cultural things that only a high population density gives me. So each to their own - glad you love NH.

I place people in jobs in Boston, and some of them live in Maine or New Hampshire, and getting them to understand the opportunity costs of the commute and the real dollar cost is very difficult. People want the huge house and the huge salary, and so they have to put up with the horrible traffic. They wrestle with "but I need" and it does not exist, like, "I need an $80K salary and I want to live and work in NH." They get very frustrated with the choices that are possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: To Booba Reply with quote

SamChady wrote:
Crazy?

Why not live in Florida then? Or Nevada? Or Maine?
You can find places much cheaper there.

The reason is that people chose to live places for many reasons, and the laws of supply and demand set the prices.

I could say, "People are crazy to live in NH", because I don't want to own a car. In Boston, I can walk to the bus station, subway, and get to the airport or train station or anywhere else for $1.70. I can walk to over 50 restaurants. I find that city living is actually cheaper if you don't need a car, and much more fun for me since I love walking around and experiencing different cultural things that only a high population density gives me. So each to their own - glad you love NH.

I place people in jobs in Boston, and some of them live in Maine or New Hampshire, and getting them to understand the opportunity costs of the commute and the real dollar cost is very difficult. People want the huge house and the huge salary, and so they have to put up with the horrible traffic. They wrestle with "but I need" and it does not exist, like, "I need an $80K salary and I want to live and work in NH." They get very frustrated with the choices that are possible.

I know what you mean: i'm a city beast that used to live in a big city. Boston is a village in comparison to it. But I fed up with it. And I also lucky to have the same salary I used to have in Boston in NH! Smile
My point was people (unfortunatey!) so used to pay so much in MA that they don't even think it is crazy anmore.
I personally would love to move to Boston. But.... I used to make over 80K there. Not bad? Wrong! What do I buy in Boston with this salary other than a crappy flat in scary Roxbery????? All descent (not good!) apartments in descent neighborhood cost at least 400K. Houses is descent 9not excellent!) suburbs of Boston like Somerwille cost 600K average.
So, the only way for me to live in Boston in a place that not dramatically more crappy than the place I live in Nashua is to take a risky mortgage and pray every day I won't be laid off. Great! Smile
john p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of relates to psychology but some of what your talking about I can relate to with this:

A scientific experient was done at a college campus. The goal was to find out if people complained more relative to a task based on compensation. They gave people a very boring repetitive task. What they found out was that the more people were paid, the more they complained. It was almost like they had to brainwash themselves that what they were doing wasn't that bad when the pay was less.

Some people who are conditioned to pay $500k for a tiny condo might not have the perspective to step back and look for something better.

You'll find this alot with realtors that know one local market.
BigRock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of the Deeds actually been transferred yet to the winners of each auction?

If I remember correctly, a lot of the auction winners at the auction at the Hynes several months ago didn't actually go thru.

I want to see the Deeds transferred and the price. If the deed hasn't been transferred it hasn't been sold, and just a lot of hype.
Brian C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRock wrote:
Have any of the Deeds actually been transferred yet to the winners of each auction?

If I remember correctly, a lot of the auction winners at the auction at the Hynes several months ago didn't actually go thru.

I want to see the Deeds transferred and the price. If the deed hasn't been transferred it hasn't been sold, and just a lot of hype.
I talked to my relative last week and they closed in early January. She said she brought a lawyer with her and the whole process went smoothly.

She even ended up buying the model unit furniture for $12k (retail $30k).

I guess she also said the new owners of these condos are trying to lower the condo fees since they think they are too high. So why even buy the place if you don't like the fees?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRock wrote:

As of today three sales recorded in the ROD:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.