bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

High end Boston properties allegedly "doing really well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:12 pm GMT    Post subject: High end Boston properties allegedly "doing really well Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: High end Boston properties allegedly "doing really well"
URL: http://www.bostonnow.com/business/realestate/2008/01/17/boston-survives
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=1387

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: Reference Suggestion Forum
Dorchester Grandma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:22 pm GMT    Post subject: High end properties Reply with quote

No surprise here. The very rich don't have to struggle to make mortgage payments and may even pay for their homes outright. There are many, many millionaires in Boston. So what?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean this to sound rude, but what are you basing that on? I have heard this before, but my suspicion is that it is a line fed to the public by those in the industry in order to get people to stretch when they buy. The premise is that you should stretch as much as you can when you buy because everybody else who is buying is rich and you therefore don't need to worry about price drops. I am very skeptical. Yes, there are some rich people in the area, but I doubt that they are so common as to make up the majority of the market. (I also question the assumption that wealth implies stability since there is a substantial amount of churn in who is rich at any given time.)

- admin
Dorchester Grandma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Rich buying high end Reply with quote

I assumed that if you are considering buying at the high end of the market then you probably have plenty of money to do so. I had never thought of people stretching to pay for the most expensive homes. I come into the market as a very sensible low end buyer looking to buy the best I can truly afford. Thank you for the insight!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention another piece of this charade - labels like "high end" are used far too frequently. I have a very hard time remembering any condos not labeled "luxury" condos. Even affordable housing units get this label slapped on them. Obviously, not everything can be high end, and by definition very few things should be, but of course nearly every seller claims this status.

That reinforces the psychological game being played. "Don't worry about this condo falling in value because it's a luxury condo and we all know the high end is doing well." Never mind the disconnect between what is a luxury property in a sales pitch (just about everything) and what is actually high end when calculating what market segments are doing well. "Don't worry that you'll need to stretch to buy it since there are plenty of rich folk in the high end who will keep the demand strong and prices up." Never mind that looking at the income distribution for Boston suggests that nearly everybody needs to stretch.

Bottom line: don't feel disheartened by the article, it's just part of an elaborate sales pitch.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.