bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Another waste of human capital bubble story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Another waste of human capital bubble story Reply with quote

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/economist/167581

Once again, another so-called expert, in hindsight, talks about students entering finance/consulting as a misallocation of human resources.

Quote:
The clever men and women who made a lot of money designing and trading credit default swaps could have been conducting research on alternative energy, teaching math, practicing medicine, or doing any number of other jobs that strengthen society, rather than making bad bets with borrowed money.

And again, it fails to acknowledge that there are no shortages of applicants to medical school (a.k.a. guaranteed six figure job in the applied biosciences for health care) and that the other aforementioned careers don't have viable, long term futures.
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many 'smart' people are practicing what amounts to financial malpractice. They are good at getting paid, but they are not worried about being correct (in medicine they'd lose their license). So because this is a 'victimless' crime, nobody (or almost nobody) is prosecuted. They didn't break any laws, but they made us lose trillions of dollars. This was proposed by Nassim Taleb several years ago before all of these crashes took place. The problem is, there is a 'consensus' which is self-perpetuating, and banks keep paying these people to churn out model after model based on the same biased assumptions as before with minor tweaks. Look at these people as shamans in service of a pagan god or something like that - all they are doing is generating junk science while getting paid, and they manage to convince the whole world that they know what they are doing (except in 'rare' circumstances, when everybody loses everything quickly).
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107145/From-Ordering-Steak-and-Lobster-to-Serving-It
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the yahoo article on the floor trader.

I think one of the reasons why I see him as being different from let's say the former idealistic mechanical engineer turned quant, is that this fellow was an authentic boiler room upstart. If he weren't in trading, he'd be driving trucks or running restaurants but now, is dealing with getting the boot and is probably a bit leery of leaving the field which gave him his panache in life to his other blue collar friends and relatives.

The former engineer, however, was probably offered a low paying starting salary at a Shaw's or Aspen Tech, with little or no chance of advancement w/o an MBA so what happened was that a recruiter for XYZ Capital showed up, saw that his senior project won *a prize*, and told him that if he could work on scalping volatilities, that he'd get $60K+ plus P/L (if the team's work made money) so the choice was obvious, a real paying job with easy six figure potential or slaving it out over designs where the dept head gets all the credit and meager 0-3% raises per annum.
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now think about all those people without a job who have these expensive houses...on which they 'hope' to break even. How long can they maintain that? Probably not for long. He's hoping to get his old job back I'm sure, but it won't happen. Its a matter of time before more people are laid off...unemployment rate is still climbing steadily, so no recovery in sight. We'll see recovery when you have a positive rate month after month, and even then, when you have say 15% unemployment, it makes no difference if you add 20k jobs a month (vs. now we are losing 600k a month). We lost 563k in April, which is 0.4% increase - at this rate we'll hit 15% in a year or so.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nearly 25,000 jobs have been lost in New York City's financial sector since August 2007

It's hard to take these stories too seriously with numbers like these. Maybe I'm just desensitized at this point but, as an engineer who worked through the last recession, 25k over 1.5 years doesn't sound like a lot of jobs.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I'm just desensitized at this point but, as an engineer who worked through the last recession

The telecom/IT downturn of '02/'03 wiped out nearly half the companies in the industry, that's a serious depression. In a way, however, it was overlooked by the masses, since it was another tech office worker type of occupation (similar to the defense industry in '92 or the oil patch bust during the mid-80s) whereas Wall Street is one of the American dream of upward mobility and the high life. When Wall St falls, part of the American dream goes with it.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of reminds me of the Quint speech about how he was on the USS Indianapolis, the ship that delivered the nuclear bomb and how the boat was shot at and sunk and more than half the crew got eaten by sharks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrvMNf-HEg

That generation of IT guys delivered us the Internet... Now you have your Quint stories to tell.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That generation of IT guys delivered us the Internet... Now you have your Quint stories to tell.

The problem is that many turned to Home Depot a/o construction type of work, after the bust, so it's another forgotten sob tale (see Nuclear Engineers after 3 Mile Isld a/o the energy bust), not the Poseidon Adventure Redux.

Now, with a stop gap {9/11 plus ~0% interest rates} between then and today, the loss of financial a/o real estate work has created the seismic shock for all of society to witness. So the stories will be once again, like in 30s, with the roaring "Gatsby" end of the 20s (much like the guy in the Yahoo article), followed by the soup lines (or tent cities as in Cali).
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:

The telecom/IT downturn of '02/'03 wiped out nearly half the companies in the industry, that's a serious depression. In a way, however, it was overlooked by the masses, since it was another tech office worker type of occupation (similar to the defense industry in '92 or the oil patch bust during the mid-80s) whereas Wall Street is one of the American dream of upward mobility and the high life. When Wall St falls, part of the American dream goes with it.

You'd think that the recent bubble bursting would equally if not more significantly affected the finance sector but it appears to barely have been touched, both in terms of number of people employed and compensation and even regulation. I find it strange that the finance sector was bailed out while there was no assistance for the tech bubble bursting. Technology is one of the few things that America still exports and without it there would be no finance sector. The tech sector is quickly exporting to foreign soil as Americans stop entering the field and overseas companies competitively displace their American counterparts and it still gets no attention (other than grim reports that China will be the major superpower by 2020 that could never politically be acted upon).

I guess the difference is that the finance sector is basically unionized while the tech sector was not. There are big tech companies but they don't dominate the industry and don't lobby much. The big banks, however, do dominate the industry and they have a lot of political power, similar to unions. Not only are they assigned cabinet positions and provide most of their own regulation but they also control American currency and fiscal policy! The problem with unions is that their concessions don't come free and often eventually this causes their employer to go out of business as it becomes uncompetitive. In this case, the employer is the American economy and many indicators are that we are going out of business.[/i]
john p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when an industry has a social network component, it tends to have more political power. With the Internet, I think you'll find more technical societies forming. Sometimes you're meeting the online personality versus the person you'd see face to face.

I think one of the good things about this down cycle is the realization that money is important, but it forces you to think about life without having much of it. I just went to a friend's father's wake last night and they had this laptop with the photographs scrolling along. It was nice to see that the guy had an amazing life and seeing him smiling with his grandkids on his lap and enjoying good times with his buddies. In the end, that's all that matters, we're all going to die so if we lose our house because the Sh%&*)$ hit the fan, so what. As long as we have a chance to meet the right person and have good friends and family that's what matters. I guess I hit my threshold of feeling stressed and now I'm like F-it.

I think the human capital that is wasted is the guy that didn't follow his vocation and had his priorities misaligned..
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that you only need enough money. For some, and I think many Americans, there is never enough (it becomes particularly bad when they don't even try to spend money efficiently much less having set a high bar). When I graduated I wasn't making an enormous amount but I didn't care because I could afford the things that I wanted. Times have changed though as my needs have changed and it has become apparent that everything is unaffordable here: housing, schools, daycare, babysitters, food, healthcare, transportation, etc. The Northeast, New England in particular, is just so unwelcoming, this board excluded of course Smile Usually businesses and governments compete for bringing the most efficient service to their clients. They compete here as well but not on efficiency of services but rather non-competitiveness of them, allowing them to deliver the least efficient services possible. If you are part of them problem, then I guess that's good for you but if you are an exporter you get taken advantage of.

My wife was going crazy with the newborn and thankfully we were able to bargain our way into an affordable option that, though we feel we got a great deal, is STILL 30% more expensive than virtually anyway else in the country. We were shocked to learn that babysitters in this zipcode (Waltham) cost 10% more than where my inlaws live, the most affluent part of Philadelphia. Having been to several significantly poor parts of the world, I recognize that things are pretty good for me though. Relative to my peers I'm also doing well I suppose, thanks largely in part to some fantastic parents. But I've also been all over the US and realize how much easier life is for most Americans than those of us in Boston, particularly those who relocated here after 2002 (those who bought their houses in Lincoln or Bookline in 1998 and 2002 are a lot better off though their daycare is just as expensive as mine).

Anyway, back on topic. What will is take for the financial industry to have a few bad years like the rest of the economy? Some years business is good for tech companies other years it is bad. As an architect, I'm sure that you've seen the same. But for investment bankers, lawyers, and healthcare workers (service workers in general), can you envision a scenario where they are, as a whole, forced to radically adjust their numbers and compensation that doesn't involved the financial destruction of the US (that is, another Great Depression)? I can't. It almost seems like the service sector is holding the economy hostage. Either we give them what they want or they'll take us all down.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't. It almost seems like the service sector is holding the economy hostage. Either we give them what they want or they'll take us all down.

Yes, the so-called service (esp finance/health care) sector is holding what's left of America hostage but the problem is that the negotiators, on the other side of the Police Barricade, are Sovereign Funds a/o Asian central banks, not America per se. The US govt is simply trying to keep things afloat while pursuing re-election for their key representatives. Really, with the USD being the nexus of all the world's settlements, it's everyone else, the actual productive sectors of the world, which are keeping the USA Inc system afloat. The problem is that it's not much for a viable long term strategy because at some point in time, and I'm estimating it'll be in a decade or so, the financial economy will be more globalized and less of a Wall St phenomena, as Morgan & Stanley and Goldman Sachs will have enlarged executives suites from Shanghai-Singapore through Dubai/UAE, to Moscow/St Petersburg and in effect, become multi-national holding companies than American financial behemoths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.