bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Cheapest house in Arlington back up over $500,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richthofen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Cheapest house in Arlington back up over $500,000 Reply with quote

$559,000 for a heights 'victorian' with no functioning heat or plumbing.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/58-Paul-Revere-Rd-Arlington-MA-02476/56404501_zpid/

Looks like the summer inventory increase, where there were < $500k homes in Arlington, is over. Not a lot of properties coming on the market. I've noticed softness in the market above Winchester (Woburn, Stoneham, Melrose all have ~50 homes for sale with large Days on Market counts). Not sure which way it goes from here. As Days on Market increases will we see flippers going broke or slashing prices as short term financing comes due?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Arlington and Winchester Reply with quote

Arlington is the downgrade reality for those who can not afford Lexington ,Belmont and Newton. now even the downgrade become un-affordable? The downgrade of the downgrade option will be Waltham and Medford, and the downgarde of the downgrade of the downgrade goes to Malden, Revere, Lynn. hahahaha...

Winchester, WTF, why it is become so expensive so quickly. Stop telling me bull such as how nice the area is. There are a lot of nice areas cost much less.

Think about it, think about it, here come my theory.

Look at how expensive American education has became for the past 15 years. Private school annual cost 2/3 as much as private college tuition now. And don't even let me start talking about how much private collage charge people now a day. You know what I am saying.

So if you live in an average town, and try to give your kids better education from day 1, you bend over and pay the price.
In that case, people start looking for alternative.... Ah-ha. They found the cheaper alternative. Which is to settle down in a town with above average public school system.

In recent years, I see a lot of these 'upscale-want-to-be' towns try to use whatever method to 'boost up' their public school rating, and try to sucker in those to buy a house there. More people buy, more price will go up, more tax income for the town. Small investment to school system generating big benefit. Fake it until people pay enough tax to make the town upscale!
Richthofen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Arlington and Winchester Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The downgrade of the downgrade option will be Waltham and Medford

West Medford is already getting stupid expensive. Waltham, though. I think people underestimate the strong immigrant population and surprising crime that comes out of there; lots of murders in Waltham, and Jared Remy spent most of his time there, Boston bombers had ties there, etc.

Arlington is expensive but I'd rather live there than Lexington, especially east Arlington because they you have access to the T. same with Newton. I live in South Belmont now (practically Watertown) and yeah, its $700K for a 'SFH'-like condo. That's not even north Belmont where the Romney-level rich live.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent in a congested East Arlington, where some asswipe lets his dog shit on the sidewalk and I have to close my kitchen windows when my low-life neighbors hang out in their driveway, smoking cigarettes all day long. Earlier this year, a new construction 2 family on my street sold for $740K a side! I realize that it's only a 30 minute drive to Boston, but this is insane. I used to think I'd end up in Arlington if I couldn't afford Belmont/Newton, but screw this place, I'll go out to Westwood or something, where for $740K, I can at least buy a SFH and excellent schools.
Bostonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent in Arlington for many years and I really wonder who is buying these pieces of garbage for half a million! I think people lost their minds. Average income in MA is $60K or so and look at the prices of houses, and people think it is OK to pay that much? Plus thousands of dollars in real estate tax... No wonder noone has a penny in their name.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PITI on a $500k home right now is about $2500/mo. Opportunity cost on the down payment is comparable to principal built in the first 5-10 years of owning the place. Looks to me like a $500k home needs some work. I still maintain that renting is a nice MF complex is a much better deal. The main reason to buy is that you need more space than you can rent in such a complex.

Speaking of which, if you don't need schools, there's two very nice apartments going up in Waltham now. The Merc and Currents on the Charles. The former has a better location but the latter looks like a nicer place to live. I drove by there last month and the build looks nearly complete. It's the most urban development I've seen in the greater Boston area. No prices shown yet.[/url]
unclemat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Arlington and Winchester Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Arlington is the downgrade reality for those who can not afford Lexington ,Belmont and Newton. now even the downgrade become un-affordable? The downgrade of the downgrade option will be Waltham and Medford, and the downgarde of the downgrade of the downgrade goes to Malden, Revere, Lynn. hahahaha...

Winchester, WTF, why it is become so expensive so quickly. Stop telling me bull such as how nice the area is. There are a lot of nice areas cost much less.

It's been always expensive. Or at least since late 1990s when the bubble started. Hardly any reductions in 2008-2011. People who "overpaid" in 2003-2005 simply held on to the houses, and no price reductions were ever to be had - usually they were able to sell flat or with minimal loss. Inventory has been tight since 2007 we have been looking. Last and this year things shot up enough so well above than the last peak. Friends who bought in 2006 made a 40% profit selling this year, with relatively minor investments (Ikea kitchen, landscaping). I've been tracking the market pretty closely for the past few years so have a good idea of things here.

The schools are indeed good. We thought part of it was hype, but we've been really happy with the experience our kids have had here. The high school building was (still is) a dump, but they are gut renovating it.
Dismayed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Look - there are options! Reply with quote

Look outside of RT 128 on the commuter rail lines. You can find affordable housing good schools, and reasonable commutes.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick.. outside the 128 belt. It becomes rural very quickly. Houses become more affordable but I don't think affordable ever comes. There are some good schools - Natick for example. Commute times quickly become unmanageable, at least within 20-30min from the city.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canton, Needham, Wellesley, Concord, Wayland, and more. There are many good school systems outside of 128. Not all of these towns feel rural.
gdma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey some of us enjoy the rural feel. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.