bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

It is 2006 again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was agreeing that at least $120K in income (or something in that ballpark) would be necessary, not that it would be sufficient. I think these prices are the result of leverage getting cheaper, not less risky. Indeed, the reliance on greater leverage would seem to make it more risky. That said, I don't know that the 3x income rule of thumb has ever applied to Boston. When I calculated it way back in 2006, the norm had been close to 4.5x income, pre-bubble, though that data only starts in 1984. Going back further than 1984, the norm was lower still. Not surprisingly, the increasing leverage appears to coincide with the decline in interest rates that has been ongoing since the early 1980s.

- admin
showgunxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: 3x income rule Reply with quote

Quote:
The 3x income rule of thumb is completely out the door, right?

I think with low 4% rate, 3x income rule don’t work anymore in any desirable areas of boston. Maybe try the 200 times rule instead, which is a house should sell for 200 times of what it can rent for.

If a sucker willing to pay 3000 dollars to rent this house ( might not be a bad deal if you have 2+ kids to push through newton school, instead of pay for private school)...

3000 x 200 = 600,000

The owner of this house still little bit under water after apply the rent income to cover the mortgage, after 20% down, and get 4.4% on 30 years
$2400 mortgage, plus $500 tax, plus $200 maintenance per month.
But it is very closed to break even, let the inflation do the magic for the owner on annual equity increase and rental income jack up. That’s why I said this place is ‘priced right’.
Unless there major flaw in the house, I expect this one will get sold quick.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

showgunxx wrote:

Unless there major flaw in the house, I expect this one will get sold quick.

That has been the case in general, but Redfin says 238 Austin has been on the market for 232 days now, albeit it a lower price now. I thought it went contingent several times and then fell through, though I could be mistaken.

- admin
showgunxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 am GMT    Post subject: 232 day Reply with quote

No admin, 599,900 price tag start on january 6th. 2014. so this just 'priced right' for less than a month.[/quote]
New in NE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
we just moved from CA and looking to buy a house in Lexington. How is the town for a family with kids? How is RE? Is anything decent available in 500k range? Decent means 3bed/2bath/~1400sqft no need to repair in near future.
Thanks
Gary
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

New in NE wrote:
Hi Guys
we just moved from CA and looking to buy a house in Lexington. How is the town for a family with kids? How is RE? Is anything decent available in 500k range? Decent means 3bed/2bath/~1400sqft no need to repair in near future.
Thanks
Gary

Lexington is one of the towns I'm looking, and it seems decent for a family with kids (though I don't know from actual experience yet). I have looked at many houses, but a little bigger than what you're looking for. I'm looking for at least 1,800 square feet, preferably more, and either 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with an office or with a large master that could fit an office-like area. I have seen a few in the high $700Ks that would have been move in ready, without obvious repairs needed and without outdated decor. There are a few more in the $800Ks too. Decent inventory has been sparse even in those ranges, though.

You didn't mention it as being a criteria for "decent," so if noise doesn't bother you, I did see some much nicer houses for particular price points in Lexington near the highway and near Hanscom Air Force Base. I stopped looking at those early on, though, because the planes were very low (and noisy) at the nearby houses that were angularly aligned with the Hanscom runway.

- admin
New in NE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Admin. Looks like it will be tough to find around 500k. Next to freeway might be very noisy. Probably I will have to look little further like Burlington, Billerica or Natick....
Newton/Weston is out of question and Arlington has houses in that range but with one bath only. I don't know why most of the houses in Arlington has only one bath. Better to rent if it has only one bath.
showgunx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:06 pm GMT    Post subject: burlington Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably I will have to look little further like Burlington, Billerica or Natick....

yeah, you might get much better deal with $500,000 in those towns. look at below one, if you buy it for $400,000, and put $100,000 into fixing the roof and interior, you get urself a mansion. Wink

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13-Wyman-St-Burlington-MA-01803/57056712_zpid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:45 am GMT    Post subject: Re: burlington Reply with quote

showgunx wrote:
Quote:
Probably I will have to look little further like Burlington, Billerica or Natick....

yeah, you might get much better deal with $500,000 in those towns. look at below one, if you buy it for $400,000, and put $100,000 into fixing the roof and interior, you get urself a mansion. Wink

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13-Wyman-St-Burlington-MA-01803/57056712_zpid

The house needs a new roof and they still raise the price from 350K to 380K. Ridiculous.
donaka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
New in NE wrote:
Hi Guys
Thanks
Gary

Lexington is one of the towns I'm looking, and it seems decent for a family with kids (though I don't know from actual experience yet). I have looked at many houses, but a little bigger than what you're looking for. I'm looking for at least 1,800 square feet, preferably more, and either 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with an office or with a large master that could fit an office-like area. I have seen a few in the high $700Ks that would have been move in ready, without obvious repairs needed and without outdated decor. There are a few more in the $800Ks too. Decent inventory has been sparse even in those ranges, though.

You didn't mention it as being a criteria for "decent," so if noise doesn't bother you, I did see some much nicer houses for particular price points in Lexington near the highway and near Hanscom Air Force Base. I stopped looking at those early on, though, because the planes were very low (and noisy) at the nearby houses that were angularly aligned with the Hanscom runway.

- admin

http://lexington.wickedlocal.com/article/20140130/NEWS/140139442

look at the article... more students and parents moving to lexington. Already lexington is hot as hell.. cant get decent size home under million...homes which under million are like from 1950's.
New in NE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donka,

I don't mind if it is 1950's as long as it is in good condition. Don't want to spend any money on fixing for at least next 5 yrs.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's from the 1950's and it's in good condition, it costs a million dollars. Unfortunately, if you want to live in MA that comes with the territory - expensive small homes perpetually in poor condition for most people. At least in most other states you could live in MF housing. There is some around but it's relatively rare and hard to find compared to most other large cities. You can even pay a premium for such housing as well.
donaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

New in NE wrote:
Donka,

I don't mind if it is 1950's as long as it is in good condition. Don't want to spend any money on fixing for at least next 5 yrs.

like balor said if they are in decent state one have to spend over 800 K...

Currently my brother rents a house built in 1950's. zillow value around 700 k and freaking heating and electric bill is $800 in winter... its like leaving in a house with poor everything but get you best school.
showgunx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 pm GMT    Post subject: $500,000 it is Reply with quote

Quote:
The house needs a new roof and they still raise the price from 350K to 380K. Ridiculous.

all right, I saw someone doesn't agree with my last suggestion in Burlington.

How about this one? Open house Feb 8th, 2014.
New in NE, this one fit most of your description and price range. $500,000, 3bed 2bath, 1344SQ, in the rich town of needham, close to I95. Looks no need to fix anything. Comments said some of the rooms are in odd shape. Please be note that this area is known of radiation concern from those TV towers. But if you don't mind, your kids will go to needham school with sons and daughters of all those big shot lawyers of needham.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12-Ledge-St-Needham-MA-02494/57477144_zpid/
CL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a house in Lexington in 2012 and have many friends with small kids looking into moving into town. In last 2 years, 700K-1mil houses, 4 bedroom 2+ bath, 2000-3000 sq ft houses are HIGHLY sought after. You are talking 10-15 offers in first open houses if condition and location is decent. So expect very fierce bidding war.

Admin - my personal experience is Lexington is a fabulous town for family. Very well run town finance, good town services (how many towns have their own bus service?). Schools are very strong - there are a lot of good school districts in Metro West but when you sat aside MCAS (which probably is not differentiating enough among very good schools) and look at college matriculation, SAT score, national merit semi finalists, AP scholars, etc, Lexington ranks very well. And believe it or not, it is considered as one of the Harvard feeder schools(http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/12/13/making-harvard-feeder-schools/). My wife (from MIT) is not pleased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.