bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

MLS games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 pm GMT    Post subject: MLS games Reply with quote

This house in Winchester came across my radar today and I did a double take:

http://www.redfin.com/MA/Winchester/217-Forest-St-01890/home/11440335

I was going to share it here because it was announced as an $800K or 40% price drop, from $2M to $1.2M. Kind of shocking.

But... looking a little further, the seller and/or agent just appear to be playing games. They massively increased the asking price right before the drop, to make it look like a steep cut. The actual discount is just 7%.

Do people actually fall for this, or is this just the premise that any publicity is good publicity?

- admin
Former Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 pm GMT    Post subject: 217 Forest Reply with quote

Looks like a developer bought and is flipping it.

Beantown Property Group is on the Mortgage debt http://www.beantownpropertygroup.com/
Here is a recent story and their plan to sell 217 Forest for $1 Million - I suspect the move in interest rates has them a wee bit scared.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/north/2013/01/27/house-flippers-take-upscale-winchester/OnZxoHM5k0D7mDjT9uiQnO/story.html

Beantown properties looks to have $500,000 - $560,000 - Mortgage on this property. The primary mortgage is for $500K and one for $30K and another for $34K

It was bought by the developer 04/27/2012 for $220,000-

This is what wide open lending standard does - it encourages Builder to make outlandish bets.

In 1998 this home sold for $200,000 - the Mortgage rate at the time was 7%

When the most recent buyer paid $220 - a 30 yr Mortgage was 3.88%.

Just what any young family needs a lot of Mortgage Debt.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suspect the move in interest rates has them a wee bit scared.

That and the fact that it's been on the market for a month now. Most of the remotely decent, and even a lot of the indecent, stuff I've seen this year has gone under agreement after the first weekend on the market. I think recent buyers have been operating under the assumption that if it's been on the market more than a week, then there's something wrong with it, and interest drops off very sharply after that first week. And I do think that was true for the first part of the year (i.e., a property that didn't sell immediately had something wrong with it), but post rate surge, the frenzy has been cooling down to some extent.

Nice find on the article, by the way.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - It also sounds like they blew the timing. The article said they intended to sell it this spring, but it wasn't actually listed until fall. Perhaps that's not that bad of a delay normally, but the timing was extremely unlucky for them given the unprecedented surge in mortgage rates that occurred between their original target and now.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Forest street Reply with quote

Timing is everything.

The closest price home/recent sale was 191 Forest - sold for $719,000 on 9/9/2013 - the buyers took out a $575,200 Mortgage -

Regards
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS - It seems that the Globe article has tipped their hand:

Quote:

The group is hoping to sell the house this spring in the $900,000 to $1.1 million price range.

So they are asking $1.2M now (originally $1.3M) but indicated earlier that $900K would meet their hopes. It sounds like they have some serious room to negotiate, assuming they completed things near budget.

Quote:
The closest price home/recent sale was 191 Forest - sold for $719,000 on 9/9/2013

I actually went and saw 191 Forest when it was for sale. This is one of the examples that supports what I mentioned earlier about houses being on the market for more than a week being "tainted." It went under agreement right away, but then fell through and sat for many weeks thereafter. I asked the Realtor about it, and she was quick to point out that they had two offers the first day it was listed, as if that would instill some sense of urgency in me many weeks later. The house wasn't bad, but the noise from Forest Street was noticeable. Perhaps 217 Forest has better sound insulation.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Irrational Market Reply with quote

Admin,

You illustrate how irrationally all the market players are in the current Boston Home Buying frenzy.

Why would a buyer care if a home was 'on market for weeks'. Every house is unique, needs to suit to needs of a handful of potential buyers, and it generally takes weeks or months to sell in a normal market.

I know from a past experience that I don't want to be buying when everyone is buying or when the players (buyers) think that a home is damaged after being on market for two weeks.

Every home has flaws including location, if its old it will have lead paint, or the basement is wet (basements either get wet sometimes or you live in a boat).

Houses are flawed and there is no perfection when buying one (unless money is no object).
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realtors have actually exasperated that problem by setting offer "deadlines" on many listings this year, usually a day or two after the first open house. It does stand to reason that if the seller's deadline passes and the house is still on the market, then there was something wrong, because why would they set a deadline that is shorter than their own needs? The deadlines fed into the frenzy this spring, but now I'm anecdotally noticing a lot of deadlines lapse, thankfully - it's comical, and I hope other buyers are paying attention.

And while you're right that it wouldn't make sense to write off a house after the first weekend normally, the inventory was so low and competition so insane this spring that it was an OK first order approximation then. Even hideous, dilapidated dumps were selling instantly.

- admin
1040EZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:33 pm GMT    Post subject: nice home Reply with quote

This place was sold in Apr 2012 for only $220,000. It is a flip. Be-aware the renovator tear down all the supporting walls, replaced with beans to make the house open-concept. If they didn't do it right, it could be a structural disaster waiting to happen! Good luck to whoever buying this.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another article from November 2012 on 217 Forest St.:

http://winchester.patch.com/groups/real-estate/p/winchester-participates-in-real-estate-boot-camp

Lots of interesting stuff there, like this:

Quote:

Three hundred people from across the country are attending the sold-out boot camp, which will tour three properties currently being rehabilitated in Roxbury, Dorchester and Winchester.

The boot camp, which started Thursday and runs till Sunday at the Long Wharf Marriot in Boston, will educate hopeful "house flippers"...

217 Forest St. was one of three properties mentioned (the others being in Dorchester and Roxbury) which Beantown Property Group was using as an example to teach flipping to prospective imitators who paid for their course.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 am GMT    Post subject: All the sign of a Mania or at least a frenzy Reply with quote

The Real Estate world in many locals feels like a mania, panic, or at least a frenzy. The flipper seminar was a priceless find and demonstrates the state of mind of players in todays market. Doesn't anyone recall 2007-2009?

I hope my next real estate purchase will be when everyone is saying don't buy real estate because its too dangerous!

Regards
optimus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people would say that it is different this time. There is so much direct and indirect government support for the housing market that it cannot collapse like it did in 2007/2008.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

optimus wrote:
A lot of people would say that it is different this time. There is so much direct and indirect government support for the housing market that it cannot collapse like it did in 2007/2008.

That's pretty much what people said in 2006 too.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 am GMT    Post subject: No downside Reply with quote

Optimus.

There probably won't be a crash like 2006-2008 unless there is an event in the world that forces the Federal Funds Rate up.

We have been lucky because the rest of world has been a train wreck financially. The result has been lots of folks parking wealth in dollars and dollar denominated assets. This allowed the Federal Reserve to drive Mortgage rates down to 3%. 3% level for a 30 year Mortgage ios only possible during a complete financial crisis.

But, the world is betting on that we are recovering.

I wish I could bet on housing right now, but my family can afford to risk that we may need to move for work. Lots of young couples/families buying down understand the level of risk in the world.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

217 Forest just dropped to $1.14M, still well above their target.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.