bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Whats Really Happening Burlington - Prices Up and DEBT is UP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Whats Really Happening Burlington - Prices Up and DEBT is UP Reply with quote

I'm convince we are seeing people borrowing more money to buy homes than ever in history. The bulk of the rise in prices from 2005 to today a direct result of people borrowing too much.

Here is what I found when I looked at the most recent Burlington-Ma Real Estate transactions:

2 Woodcrest - Burlington - sold for $439,000 on 9/17
New Mortgage is $439,000 - No 20% downpayment
In 2004 this property sold for $423,000 - mortgages totaled approx $400K.

4 Stewart Burlington - sold for $600,000 9/16/2013
New Mortgage is $480,000 - nice to see 20% down
In 1999 this house sold for $367,000 - it was brand new - 7.4 % 30 year Mortgage rate. (the DoCom bubble was in full swing in Mass).

8 Gibson Burlington sold for $480,000 on 9/9/13
New Mortgage $384,000 - great down payment
Sold in 2004 for$460,000 with a $368,000 Mortgage

13 Mountain Rd - Burlington sold for $385,000
New Mortgage is $371,500

5 Marret - Burlington sold for $570,000 on 9/4/13
New Mortgage is $484,4000
2002 it sold for $469,000 with a Mortgage of $270,000 (in the midst of the DotCom bust)

8 Richardson Burlington sold for $410,000
New Mortgage is $369,000
sold in 2003 for $357,000 - Mortgage was $316,000 (Interest rate was 20% lower - the buyer paid approx 20% less)

Debt is driving Real Estate.
optimus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Debt is driving Real Estate.

Do you think the current market is sustainable?
former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:32 am GMT    Post subject: Market driven by Higher and Higher Debt Levels Reply with quote

Is the market sustainable?

As long has enough people think taking on more Debt than ever - the market is sustainable.

But, we saw a 35% increase in Mortgage costs a couple of months ago and that big a move in mortgage rates hasn't happened since the early 1990s.

I think my analysis of Waltham and Burlington demonstrate there are lots of folks relying on Debt more than increased income or large down payment.
1040ez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm GMT    Post subject: less than 20% Reply with quote

I am wondering what kind of mortgage interest rate are these people getting when they put less than 20% down. Also which lender(s) are they getting the risky loan from? I will be laughing my butt off if they get those loan from government loan agencies...
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Govt Agencines issueing Debt Reply with quote

Bingo for at least one!

2 Woodcrest, sold for $439,000 and the Veterans Administration gave the Buyers a $439,000 VA Mortgage.

4 Stewart - got a Money Purchase Loan because they borrow $480,000 and Fannie Mae conventional mortgages have to be under $417K - from Fairway Independent Mortgage - they are a broker who I suspects makes the loan and then sells their paper to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac- wee Fairway broker in link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SCMVeJWU4

13 Mountain - which is a $371K Mortgage - no down payment is an FHA loan - they bought the house for $385,000 - I think this is a Mass Housing loand
Here is the Link from the Credit Union who sold the Mortgage...
http://www.metrocu.org/home/home/borrowing/mortgage/masshousing_affordable_mortgage_solutions

Most Mortgages today are done through Mortgage brokers who turn around and sell the Mortgage to Fannie/Freddie/or FHA (at least that's what I have been able to figure out)

This is not going to end well.
mack200

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people dont have 20% to put down on a home. It appears the conclusion here is if you don't put 20% down you will end up in a bad place....come on. If you have good credit any lender will loan you 90+ percent. You all must be 1%'ers
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack200 wrote:
Most people dont have 20% to put down on a home. It appears the conclusion here is if you don't put 20% down you will end up in a bad place....come on. If you have good credit any lender will loan you 90+ percent. You all must be 1%'ers

Are you saying that as long as you can find somebody to loan you the money, then you can afford it? Do you not remember 2008? And you think that loaning people more than they can afford would somehow help the 99%? Quite the opposite - when everybody is borrowing as much as possible for the sole purpose of just bidding against other people doing the same thing, that locks the 99% into indentured servitude. A reasonable down payment is in everybody's best interest.

- admin
Mack200

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that putting money down and not financing 95-100% is ideal and puts the homeowner in a much better position in case they need to sell, etc. I was merely making the point that the majority of home buyers do not have 20% of the purchase price to put down. If you limited lenders to only lending to 20% down buyers the housing market would tumble because there would be nobody there to buy homes.

What got us in trouble in 2008 was in part 100% lending but the much larger issue was adjustable rate mortgages that started adjusting.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack200 wrote:
I was merely making the point that the majority of home buyers do not have 20% of the purchase price to put down. If you limited lenders to only lending to 20% down buyers the housing market would tumble because there would be nobody there to buy homes.

I think that was the original author's point (correct me if I'm wrong, FA). 20% used to be the standard, and so today's prices are the result of higher leverage rather than a strong market. Also, if you read and believe The Globe, all cash buyers are driving the Boston market - yes, 100% down - and he was questioning that.

Quote:
What got us in trouble in 2008 was in part 100% lending but the much larger issue was adjustable rate mortgages that started adjusting.

Sort of. Not just vanilla ARMs, but Option ARMs, subprime, and other "innovative" loans. The common theme was to lend people more so that they could supposedly afford more, but prices quickly soaked up that extra leverage and made Wall Street the true beneficiary.

- admin
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Banks Dont Lend Fannie and Feddie do Reply with quote

I'm not a 1%.

Check out the product that many Mortgage Brokers are selling which is 97% Mortgage Financing from Fannie Mae.
BTW- you can even have some one 'Gift' you the 3% down for the home.

We are right back to 100% financing schemes of the Old Bubble days.

I am not part of the 1% crowd, although I wish I were.

People don't seem to grasp when everyone can borrow an extra 17-20% you drive up prices by 17-20% and people pay more than they have to for housing. If Fannie Mae was more aggressive about keeping people to 20% down or even 15% down - there would be less Home Price inflation.

The numbers I pulled from Burlington and Waltham illustrate that its not 40-50% down payments driving up Home values, its a result of people taking out the biggest mortgages in the history of Massachusetts real estate.
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Fannie Mae guidelines Reply with quote

Here are the details on Fannie Mae 97% Mortgage
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/eligibility_information/homepath-mortgage-matrix.pdf

Or
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/fact_sheet/mcm-product-matrix.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.