bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Update on my move
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some superficial Google-ing to see if I could fill in some of the blanks on the rumors of cash purchases. Here's a Globe article from 2011 on how cash sales had swollen to 34% of the market:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/10/02/real_estate_becoming_a_cash_economy/

A few points of interest:

• They cite people having cash from the sale of a previous property, as balor123 suggested.
  • They indicate that people are taking out a mortgage after buying in cash. Investors who can bootstrap the process by buying a first property in cash could then turn around and borrow against it to buy additional properties in cash repeatedly, swelling the number of purchases that get recorded as cash but are in fact dependent on financing in multiple ways. Higher rates would negatively impact "cash" purchases where the buyer intends to finance after purchase. I think it would be extremely interesting to see some stats on how many purchases had no mortgage say 1 year later, rather than just at the time of sale. (Again, this data could be derived from the public records, I just think it would be time consuming.)
  • This was two years ago, so it doesn't explain the spike in prices that started last winter.

This isn't targeted at Boston, but I think it gives a decent idea of the timing and scope of the increase in cash purchases:

http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/all-cash-buyers-us-housing-market-real-estate-figures-real-estate-investors-percent-of-market/

I've seen it suggested many places that institutional investors are responsible for a significant percentage of purchases, which would also explain the source of cash in all cash purchases:

http://mhanson.com/archives/1249

I would expect that source of demand to very quickly dry up should bond yields (and mortgage rates) rise as the explanation for investor activity has been that they are turning to property for lack of better yields elsewhere.

- admin
Renter - former Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

Thank you - glad to know there other rational folks.

We live in a world where cash is sloshing around the decks - until one day it won't be.........
The story of cash buyers gets retold by everyone - I also wonder the impact of people owning multiple Homes - I suspect it is rising again.

Regards.
mpr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer admin and others' question, the spike in Boston area home prices, as elsewhere is due to a confluence of factors. Low interest rates, improving economy, supply dynamics. Yes, the recent increase in rates will likely put a brake on prices, but this is in a context of rapidly rising prices - that's what all those above asking offers are telling you, that prices want to rise.

As with any leveraged investment buying a home carries risks. But rising interest rates is not a big risk factor. Sure, all else being equal, higher rates means lower prices. But all else is never equal. Higher rates almost always means either a stronger economy or inflation, which erodes the real value of your mortgage payment. The effect of a stronger economy will swamp the effect of higher rates (if the last few years hasn't convinced you of that nothing will).

It makes much more sense to worry that prices will fall because the economy will slow again.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Higher rates almost always means either a stronger economy or inflation, which erodes the real value of your mortgage payment.

In the past, that has been true. By corollary, one would expect low rates to mean a weak economy and/or low inflation, both of which are the case. But current rates are also a product of some unique circumstances that make history less useful of a guide and which may make the link between mortgage rates and US economic health and/or inflation less predictable. QE, the never ending Euro crisis, and globalization are all holding down rates, are all new, and don't directly move in step with US economic health. QE is the possible exception since it is supposed to ostensibly be withdrawn if and only if the US economy improves, although political and other considerations could end it sooner. Some Fed members are already calling for an end to QE ASAP citing "asset misallocation" (their words) and dangerous risk-taking. However, even if QE is only tapered in step with an improving economy, I would still consider it a factor that makes history less useful because the fact that QE specifically targets mortgages does imply that the relationship between mortgage rates and US economic health and inflation is not where it would be normally and that an end to QE would therefore affect mortgage rates more than usual for the given pace of economic improvement.

Quote:

The effect of a stronger economy will swamp the effect of higher rates (if the last few years hasn't convinced you of that nothing will).

How do the last few years demonstrate that? (I'm not attempting to argue, I'm just curios.) Rates have been in a secular decline since the early 1980s. Did you meant that the weak economy of the last few years has swamped the effect of lower rates?

- admin
mpr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I would still consider it a factor that makes history less useful because the fact that QE specifically targets mortgages does imply that the relationship between mortgage rates and US economic health and inflation is not where it would be normally and that an end to QE would therefore affect mortgage rates more than usual for the given pace of economic improvement.

Yes, this is true, but the effect is tiny in the context we're talking about - maybe 25-50 basis points if that. The point is that even though QE targets mortgage rates, the price of MBS is arbitraged against other asset classes - for example the rates on treasuries fell along with MBS last year - so the net effect on mortgage rates is just at the margin.

admin wrote:

Quote:

The effect of a stronger economy will swamp the effect of higher rates (if the last few years hasn't convinced you of that nothing will).

How do the last few years demonstrate that? (I'm not attempting to argue, I'm just curios.) Rates have been in a secular decline since the early 1980s. Did you meant that the weak economy of the last few years has swamped the effect of lower rates?

Yes, exactly. As you concede, it has always been this way in the past. I don't see any reason why the technical factors you mention would break this fundamental relationship.

I actually suspect low rates will be here for a long time. The real argument against buying now is that this is a blip of improving economic activity against a chronic demand shortfall in the economy. That right now, with unemployment at 7.5%, is what now passes for a recovery. If you believe this, then people scrambling to buy now are buying at the post-crisis 'peak'.

I'm not sure I'd be quite as pessimistic as this, but again its economic activity which is the driving variable.
Renter - former Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:26 am GMT    Post subject: 1970 vs Today Reply with quote

Higher Home Price in an environment of rising inflation and rising interest rates - I have to disagree - even though I'm probably wrong.

Lets look at the inflation of Home prices, gasoline, the price of milk, automobiles and bread over the last 13 years. Meanwhile white collar jobs excluding finance) have remained flat. Most good white Collar jobs are in the $100-$150K range - Would people agree with this?

So, we have had a period of time with inflation and no wage inflation. Home price appreciation is dominated by the Interest Rate crash.

In the 1970 I think there was home price appreciation with wages - thne Volker appeared and raised interest rates dramatically - to break inflation and he crushed the value of housing.

But, there is a really good chance I'll be wrong.
Regards
mpr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 am GMT    Post subject: Re: 1970 vs Today Reply with quote

Renter - former Owner wrote:

So, we have had a period of time with inflation and no wage inflation. Home price appreciation is dominated by the Interest Rate crash.

In the 1970 I think there was home price appreciation with wages - thne Volker appeared and raised interest rates dramatically - to break inflation and he crushed the value of housing.

But, there is a really good chance I'll be wrong.
Regards

He also crushed the real economy. Plus I'd want to see some data to show that house prices went down during this time. I remember some frothy house markets in the 80's with higher interest rates too.

I have to admit that implicit in what I am saying is that I think central banks are now better at calibrating interest rates than they were thirty years ago. But even if you think there's a chance of the Fed losing control and having to raise rates suddenly a la Volcker, then that's a scenario where the real economy will crash too.

What I'm saying is that its almost unthinkable that the real economy will be doing well, but house prices fall. That has probably never happened.
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graph of Housing

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/200909251.gif
mpr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Arlingtonian wrote:
Graph of Housing

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/200909251.gif

Great. Very informative.

So there was a drop from 1980-85, but note that this is inflation adjusted.
According to your graph there was about a 15% drop in inflation adjusted prices. According to

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Total inflation was about 30% during that period, which translates into about a 10% increase in nominal house prices.

Part of the story of why house prices 'never' fall ...
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the drop in Interest Rates - from 1980 to 1985...

15%-20% in 1980 down to ingle digits in 1985??

http://inflation.us/charts.html

So , was it inflation or was it dropping interest rates that gave people more cash to borrow..
I remember a family member trying to sell a home in 1979 - the Bank would finance the entire loan - so a private mortgage where the Buyer pays the seller a certain dollar amount every year until the private note was paid off....I suspect this was very common in late 1970s or early 1980.

What do you think.....again - no period is ever the same and I'm wrong regularly and often...

Regards,
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the drop in Interest Rates - from 1980 to 1985...

15%-20% in 1980 down to ingle digits in 1985??

http://inflation.us/charts.html

So , was it inflation or was it dropping interest rates that gave people more cash to borrow..
I remember a family member trying to sell a home in 1979 - the Bank would finance the entire loan - so a private mortgage where the Buyer pays the seller a certain dollar amount every year until the private note was paid off....I suspect this was very common in late 1970s or early 1980.

What do you think.....again - no period is ever the same and I'm wrong regularly and often...

Regards,
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this listing on Trulia:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10540-Culbertson-Dr-Cupertino-CA-95014/19644726_zpid/

Not in Boston but it's a pretty home. Built in 2007 on what looks like a $720k teardown. Should be about $450k to build that house for a total cost of $1.17mil so they're asking $1.3mil naturally 2 years later (~6%/yr so high but not terrible). Drops to $1.2mil before delisting and now reposted for $1.6mil. 25% return in 5 years? Those are some good numbers.

Incidentally, if I were to post my house for sale (and I hope to in 2 years if my wife will let me) I'd list it for $750k in today's money, also a 25% return. I might get it too. Market is pretty frothy.
mpr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are significantly underestimating what it would cost to build that house.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on location. You may be right in CA. In Austin it'd be about $150/sf for hard costs so I figured $200/sf for CA but perhaps a bit more. Still, a 33% swing over two years in asking price is pretty amazing!
mpr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA may be more, but that isn't the main point.

Its the quality of the finishes - I don't know everything in there, but I am inferring from what I do see - and cost of making such an elaborate structure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.