bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

MA SFH Jan 2013 vs Jan 2012 - MAR: nominal median up 5.4%, v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm GMT    Post subject: MA SFH Jan 2013 vs Jan 2012 - MAR: nominal median up 5.4%, v Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: MA SFH Jan 2013 vs Jan 2012 - MAR: nominal median up 5.4%, volume up 15.7%
URL: http://www.marealtor.com/content/NewsTicker.htm?view=38&news_id=1971&news=31
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=3966

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: New Topic
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inventory numbers are a big deal. Down 27% YOY with just 4.7 months of supply right now.

Admin, what is your thinking these days? Have you bought? It seems like your primary concern (the inevitable rise of interest rates) is still valid.

I bought in December 2012, yet I still follow the numbers compulsively...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:
The inventory numbers are a big deal. Down 27% YOY with just 4.7 months of supply right now.

Admin, what is your thinking these days? Have you bought? It seems like your primary concern (the inevitable rise of interest rates) is still valid.

I bought in December 2012, yet I still follow the numbers compulsively...

Yes, that is my primary concern. I wouldn't call a rise in rates "inevitable" per se, because it is possible that it will never happen and it's also possible that it will happen but not for many, many years. That said, it's perfectly plausible that it could happen, and it is a massive, single point of failure for prices, so it is something worth planning for.

I have not bought yet but am hoping to within the next few months. I'll be doing so purely for personal reasons and not because I think now is a good time to buy (though I did call a bottom last July, conditional upon mortgage rates staying ultra low, the economy not worsening, and government welfare continuing to flow to the FIRE industries). I had hoped to wait out QE, but I am probably going to need to move soon, and I want to skip the intermediate rental and extra move that would be required to continue waiting for QE to end because I abhor moving. I fully expect to lose substantial real money in the long term if rates do rates, but I am considering it the cost of my sanity (to avoid the extra moving) and I will buy conservatively enough that it will be manageable.

In addition to the interest rate risk continuing to get worse, I actually think it's a bad time to buy right now because of what you pointed out about inventory. The inventory numbers are awful for buyers. I'm hoping that sellers get enticed back in for early spring with all the talk of rising prices and cheerleading from agents and newspapers. (Though when have they not been cheerleading?) I'm following the inventory using this page:

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/asking-prices/massachusetts/boston/

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had hoped to wait out QE, but I am probably going to need to move soon, and I want to skip the intermediate rental and extra move that would be required to continue waiting for QE to end because I abhor moving. I fully expect to lose substantial real money in the long term if rates do rates, but I am considering it the cost of my sanity (to avoid the extra moving) and I will buy conservatively enough that it will be manageable.

That pretty much mirrors how my thought process went. Good luck with your search! I didn't like most of the people I dealt with during the home buying process, but I could recommend the guy I worked with to get my mortgage. Let me know if you're looking.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:

That pretty much mirrors how my thought process went. Good luck with your search! I didn't like most of the people I dealt with during the home buying process, but I could recommend the guy I worked with to get my mortgage. Let me know if you're looking.

Thanks. I do have a pre-approval already, but I think my rate could be significantly better, so sure. Feel free to link to the mortgage agent here or email me - whichever you prefer.

And congrats on buying.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you an email.

I just realized I wrote that I bought in December 2012. It was actually December 2011. I always think of having bought in 2012 because I closed with only a week left in 2011.
Renter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

Are you at all in the camp of people that think this year could be a slower year for home sales? A real estate blog and real estate analyst MHanson.com put forth a pretty compelling case that the most recent R/E boom has been driven by ultra low interest rates. The rates moved a lot of people who were on the side lines to buy in the last year and as a result there may be a lack of buyers in 2013?

Good luck.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renter wrote:
Admin,

Are you at all in the camp of people that think this year could be a slower year for home sales? A real estate blog and real estate analyst MHanson.com put forth a pretty compelling case that the most recent R/E boom has been driven by ultra low interest rates. The rates moved a lot of people who were on the side lines to buy in the last year and as a result there may be a lack of buyers in 2013?

Good luck.

That effect may happen at some point, but why would the end of 2012 be the cutoff? Rates are still ultra low and potential buyers could still be being pulled forward. Note the link at the top of this article, which says that sales were up 15.7% YOY in January.

What I wonder is if the low inventory is going to make the year slower.

- admin
Renter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Mhanson 2013 Housing Hangover Reply with quote

Admin,

Have you looked at any of the analysis by http://mhanson.com/archives/1147

Being a renter currently I have a natural bias to believe MHanson may be on to something with his belief in a 2013 Housing Hangover.

The good news baked into the Housing market borders on euphoria - there is wide spread belief that there is no longer any downside risk!

Best Regards.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you looked at any of the analysis by http://mhanson.com/archives/1147

I hadn't until just now. He does make some good points. I've noted myself many times in the past that a major theme that has set the economic backdrop for last three decades and led to a lot of (precarious) conventional wisdom, not just with housing, is not just low interest rates, but continually falling interest rates and inflation. What happens when they merely stop falling?

Quote:

The good news baked into the Housing market borders on euphoria - there is wide spread belief that there is no longer any downside risk!

Yeah, I think there is plenty of downside risk. I would probably keep renting myself if I were only considering the financial trade offs.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it begins:

http://www.wbur.org/2013/03/26/massachusetts-home-sales-february

The trend of rising volume has been broken.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The trend of rising volume has been broken.

Why is lower sales volume generally portrayed as a bad thing? If it's due to low inventory, that's a good thing for prices and the economy in general.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being a renter currently I have a natural bias to believe MHanson may be on to something with his belief in a 2013 Housing Hangover.

Renter, do you read Calculated Risk? He's not prone to euphoria, and his track record on the housing market is solid. He thinks that housing has bottomed. I would recommend reading him just to counterbalance your understandable bias towards the other side of the argument.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:

Why is lower sales volume generally portrayed as a bad thing? If it's due to low inventory, that's a good thing for prices and the economy in general.

By newspapers? My guess is because they are a mouthpiece for the real estate industry. Fewer sales means fewer commissions. Also, at one time, lower inventory probably meant lower classified ad revenue (though that may be obsoleted by the Internet now).

I think it's also funny that higher prices are generally portrayed as a good thing (except, of course for now, when total commissions drop). Over the long term, rising prices are on average worse for everybody outside the industry, except to the extent that they rise to keep up with inflation and incomes. Increases beyond that mean that we are just forced to commit an ever increasing percentage of our lifetime income for the sole purpose of bidding against others doing the same thing. In the shorter term, rising prices are also great for those who can cash out now and who bought when housing was cheaper in terms of decades of your life spent on it, but the tab for that windfall gets passed on to their children (i.e., our generation).

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was referring to newspapers (and the media in general).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.