bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Buyer's agent timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Buyer's agent timing Reply with quote

A question for Bill Wendel, aka RealEstateCafe, as well as any other buyer's agents that might want to chime in: at what point in the home buying process would somebody need to engage your Real Estate Cafe services in order to get the eventual rebate? Can it be after inquiring about a property from a seller's agent? I was curious whether it's safe to go to open houses beforehand or not, to get a feel for neighborhoods, etc., or if it's necessary to have a buyer's agent first?

- admin
Elrond

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the buyer's agent must be the "procuring cause" in the transaction in order for them to receive a commission.

The Mass DPL has some language to define this term here:
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/re/ceu/continuing-education-subject-matter-curricula/re54r06.html

While I can't speak for every situation, I can say that most of the people I've worked with started the home buying process touring open houses on their own and ultimately once they had some kind of understanding worked with a real estate professional on the buyer's side to submit their offer and receive their rebate.

Incidentally, I also work as a buyer's agent and offer a 50% rebate.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Feel free to link to your agency's website - I won't consider it spam since you contributed usefully to the discussion and it's relevant to the topic.

- admin
Elrond

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd need to make one before I could link one Smile
JCK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin,

Are you getting ready to join the dark side?

With rents the way they are right now, I think the smart money is on buying, assuming your life situation and bank account are amenable.

I think the silence lately on the board speaks to that point.

We have now bought a second condo and are renting the first for significant positive cash flow, even though we bought the first at market peak (early 2005). And nominal prices are now the same or slightly less than 2005 in our area, interest rates are 30-40% lower (5% then vs. 3-3.5% now). Thus, your total financial burden is down significantly, even more so once you factor in eight years of inflation.

By contrast, rents have gone up 35-50%, since 2005.

Best of luck.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
admin,

Are you getting ready to join the dark side?

I'm trying to. Inventory right now is just awful, though. Here's my longer winded response to Renting in Mass who asked a similar question the other day: http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15697#15697

Quote:

With rents the way they are right now, I think the smart money is on buying, assuming your life situation and bank account are amenable.

I think the silence lately on the board speaks to that point.

I'm hoping the silence is largely my fault since I haven't had time to post new reports in ages. I think there would still be plenty to discuss, even if now were a perfect time to buy.

I do agree that a lot of the numbers have improved. I wouldn't necessarily count mortgage rates among them because low rates have drawbacks too. I also think your rent numbers are a bit off. The BLS series for rent in the Boston area (CUURA103SEHA) is up 13.37% from January 2005 to January 2013. Still, with purchase prices having fallen over the same time period, that's the right direction to improve the case for buying.

Quote:

Best of luck.

Thanks. I need it.

- admin
Elrond

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I'm trying to. Inventory right now is just awful, though.

I'm in the same exact boat admin, anything that I might be interested in, and is priced well, gets picked up and into a bidding war. Very frustrating. There's really so little for sale out there!
Renter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Look whats happening in Hong Kong as interest rates rise- Reply with quote

Perhaps Hong Kong is a good example of what will happen in the USA some time in the future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-21/hong-kong-homes-face-20-price-drop-as-banks-raise-rates.html

Sadly no one I know can be convinced there is any connection between Real Estate values and interest rates. Boston is special - the USA is a special place that defies the rule of interest rates!
RealEstateCafe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elrond wrote:
admin wrote:
I'm trying to. Inventory right now is just awful, though.

I'm in the same exact boat admin, anything that I might be interested in, and is priced well, gets picked up and into a bidding war. Very frustrating. There's really so little for sale out there!

There are a number of reasons why inventory is down, as our 10 counter points argues in a comment on the Boston Globe's lead story on 3/1/13:

http://bo.st/ZKMvmm

However, until yesterday, I had not seen a major story revealing two findings worth sharing or should we say exposing -- http://bit.ly/RExpose ?

1. An agent in Denver estimates that 25-30% of the sales right now are occurring "off-market."

2. Another agent in Oakland is working with 30 buyers and has sent 300 letters in the last six weeks. That translates to 50 letters per week or an average of 10 per buyer.

My guess is that DIY homebuyers are contending with the same in Boston where housing demand exceeds supply AND some towns have more agents than listings.

Have you encountered anything that is extremely frustrating, unfair, unethical or irrational (maybe even illegal)?

FULL BLOG POST: http://bit.ly/GoXtreme
97a Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-661-4046
realestatecafe@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/RealEstateCafe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.