bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Wrap: The Real Story for MA - Dec 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Elite Towns - impact of family wealth Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think people aren't considering family wealth for a significant minority of people that buy into "immune towns". Lets face it there are a lot of super educated in Massachusetts from Lexington - or Weston - and they have lots of cash that they do often give to their children. Imagine a couple in there late fifties, who are well educated, husband and wife both earning $100,000 (and probably more) 0r a family income of $200,000 and higher. This same couples housing costs are nil because they probably bought their home in the early 1980s when interest rates were high and R/E values low. Money has been piling up in their savings accounts. Their children are newly married and handing the kids $200,000 or $300,000 is not a big deal for a significant number of these well heeled families. These families value education and they will do what they can to ensure their Grand children get the best public schools available in Massachusetts. Remember, the 'mmune" towns are real fairly small number of towns with lower populations, As a result money flows from a smaller number of wealthy families may have a real impact - no data to support my educated guess - its just a theory.

I think you could test that hypothesis with the data at masslandrecords.com. The purchases should correspond to high down payments if this is the case.

That doesn't change my buying strategy since my parents most definitely will not be giving me $200K+, alas.

- admin
CL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin - I think your buying strategy is sound. If I were you, I will add the cost of renting (expense) to compare to cost of buying (mortgage interest expense + potential loss + maintenance cost)
DC2MA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 pm GMT    Post subject: percentage price decline that would be suggested by history? Reply with quote

[quote="admin"]
Guest wrote:
All that said, I am not waiting for rates to rise myself. While that would be ideal, it could take decades (see Japan). Instead, I am working backward - deciding how much I would be willing to lose over a 7 year period, using what percentage price decline would be suggested by history if rates returned to their average plus one standard deviation, and deriving a maximum purchase price from that. That rules out the oft cited "immune" towns (for now), but I haven't thought of a good argument for why this is too conservative of an approach yet.
- admin

This is such a great site, and thank you so much for all of this information and analysis; it's very helpful for those of us without a natural aptitude or educational background to be confident in thinking through all of these factors on our own! Can you help me with one point? When you say "using the percentage price decline that would be suggested by history" -- what is that percentage in your opinion -- assuming that one is buying a house in the western suburbs (we've kind of narrowed it down to Newton, Needham or Sudbury) in the next few months (i.e., before April)? Of course, I realize you're not warranting your predictions, but it would be helpful to get your take anyway.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: percentage price decline that would be suggested by hist Reply with quote

DC2MA wrote:

This is such a great site, and thank you so much for all of this information and analysis; it's very helpful for those of us without a natural aptitude or educational background to be confident in thinking through all of these factors on our own! Can you help me with one point? When you say "using the percentage price decline that would be suggested by history" -- what is that percentage in your opinion -- assuming that one is buying a house in the western suburbs (we've kind of narrowed it down to Newton, Needham or Sudbury) in the next few months (i.e., before April)? Of course, I realize you're not warranting your predictions, but it would be helpful to get your take anyway.

Thanks.

Let me clarify that this is not a prediction. I am saying that if we don't know how to predict interest rates (I certainly don't, and I doubt that anybody else really does), then it is prudent to be prepared for them to move disadvantageously after buying. A mere return to the historic average seems like a perfectly reasonable "what-if" scenario to be prepared for. I did these calculations ages ago and the numbers are out of date now, but I can give you a back of the envelope idea of the ballpark I'm thinking of. Bankrate.com says that the average rate on a 30 year fixed rate mortgage is 3.89% at the moment. Eyeballing the chart at http://mortgage-x.com/trends.htm which goes back to 1963, I would plug in a few rates that look to be near the average and/or have ample precedent. A 7% mortgage rate looks to be comfortably below the long term average and typical or lower than typical for all but the last decade. Assuming a constant monthly payment, that would reduce real prices by 28%. An 8% mortgage rate would reduce real prices by 35%. A 10% mortgage rate, which is probably above average but not unprecedented, would reduce real prices by 40%.

Those numbers probably seem incredibly large, so let me point out some qualifications. First, those are declines in the real price, not the nominal price. If rates do rise, inflation mostly likely will have risen too, so the nominal price declines will not seem so dramatic. Second, if you do end up staying in the house, having higher inflation eating away at the debt while paying a mortgage with much lower rates fixed based on today's inflation would be beneficial and would make up for part of the price decline. I was working on a Monte Carlo simulation to study that benefit more, but I have some new time commitments that are going to draw me away from that for the foreseeable future.

I realize that this doesn't address the specific suburbs you noted. I think I would treat any neighborhood the same when the source of the price movement is a change in interest rates. If you look at the S&P/Case-Shiller tiered index for Boston, all of the tiers are near their long term, real average again. The low tier had the biggest increase during the bubble and the biggest crash afterward, hence the perception of "immunity" in the high tier. However, given that mortgage rates have been falling for nearly all of the last decade, there has been no demonstration of immunity toward rising rates.

- admin
CL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents -

Short interest rate, and to an extent long interest rate and mortgage rate, is heavily manipulated by Fed. While it is unwise to speculate what politicians will do, I think it is safe to say (judging from past action) that if Fed have to choose a mistake they will rather raise rate later than sooner (i.e. wait for the recovery evidence to emerge before raising rate).

I think the rate is going to revert up either through an economic recovery leading to inflation risk and Fed raising rate (not particularly imminent I think), or people start to dump long term T paper to seek more risk (not likely without a solid recovery). My point is that by design of Fed policy, I think rate will raise only after the economy (and to an extent, housing) is on very solid footing, and even than, they probably will act slow and late.

The world needs to be on a very strong growth mode and strong inflation backdrop for mortgage rate to come back to 7%.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a plausibly fine first order approximation of how things might play out, though I would note that there are some other very major factors holding down rates, in addition to The Fed. Off the top of my head, I would also add that Euro area instability and high foreign investment by China are also factors substantially pushing rates down right now and which could also change independently from what The Fed would like. I would also count US political volatility as a risk factor (as you pointed out), as politics impact who is selected to run The Fed.

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current thinking about the housing market is based on Archimede's Principle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

Picture the value of a house or the housing market as a weight sitting like a ship on the sea of the liquid money supply.

When the vapor or derivatives wealth gets enough pressure, it trickles down and raises the water level of liquidity below and house prices rise as people get richer. As house prices go up, the weight of the market increases and prices weigh more pushing downward on and displacing more of the liquid below.

Now the Goverment is doing two things, first the FED is changing the properties of the water that the market sits on by changing the value of the currency by printing more and more money and the Federal Government offering first time homebuyer benefits as well as allowing others to refinance and actively pursuing policies which keep mortgage rates low is sort of like trying to fill a hot air balloon, so even though the water level might be losing it's density, they can change the weight of the housing market by lowering the cost of capital so the price levels can float in the atmosphere and be buoyant regardless if the water level is dropping.

It seems to me that the FED is sort of allowing the housing market to sit back on the water to see how much of a fundamental buoyancy it will have and how far it will drop acting on fundamental rule of thumb supports i.e. how would far would prices drop if people had to put 20% down and meet all the historical fundamental criteria. Then, after testing its buoyancy, it heats up the balloon through affecting policies that affect mortgage rates to supplement the value.

I look at the Money Supply like strata of density. Years ago, people could buy cars with cash, so that market rested upon the cash level of the money supply. Once financing was used for cars, it buoyed it to the derivaties level of the money supply and it floated above the value that would have been displaced by the density of the cash strata.

Overall, prices floated into the air of the derivatives atmosphere because credit was extended so far.

My question to you all is, given this analogy, would inflation be represented by the water evaporating or the water level going up?

I hope all of you are well!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: January 2012? Reply with quote

Are you planning to update the chart for January 2012?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: January 2012? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Are you planning to update the chart for January 2012?

Probably not this month, sorry. I'm unusually busy this month and probably won't have time. Perhaps when the February numbers come out, though my busy stretch is going to last through the end of April, so it's not certain (I'd like to, though).

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.