bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Context is Changing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/State-local-governments-set-cnnm-4227360729.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=9&asset=&ccode=

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer,

Sadly, I know some really bright Government Employees and a good portion seem to believe they have Economic Teflon. Most are blissfully unaware of how the Banking system works and are assured their Defined Pension Benefits/lifetime healthcare are guaranteed.

Higher unemployed = lower tax revenues= raise taxes or cut services

Perhaps they will be guaranteed - but, inflation results in the guarantee not being quite as good as they imagine.

When will people learn we are all in the same boat - if there is a fire in the stern in will ultimately engulf the entire ship.
BK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Government spending Reply with quote

GenXer,

Sadly, I know some really bright Government Employees and a good portion seem to believe they have Economic Teflon. Most are blissfully unaware of how the Banking system works and are assured their Defined Pension Benefits/lifetime healthcare are guaranteed.

Higher unemployment = lower tax revenues= raise taxes or cut services

Am I missing any thing?

Perhaps they will be guaranteed - but, inflation results in the guarantee not being quite as good as they imagine.

When will people learn we are all in the same boat - if there is a fire in the stern in will ultimately engulf the entire ship.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Government spending Reply with quote

BK wrote:

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of state employees seem to be able to work well past retirement age w/o the enforced headcount reduction, as in corporate America, where you'll seldom see anyone over the age of 55, outside of senior management or let's say "documentation" type of teams.

Thus, they may still have a sliver of teflon there, albeit, they'll still be punching the clock to get it but one can handle a 35 hr work week at any age.
CL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2011/06/mass-economy-growth-fourth-the-nation/N7cxgTDNJyhbKlBCgj67aI/index.html?p1=News_links
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Globe says so, then it must be true.
BK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Boston Globe - Devil is in the Details Reply with quote

The Devil is in the Detail
The GDP Number is for 2010 - obviously 2010 was a banner year after the recovery from the Depression levels of 2009.

GDP is defined by the BEA for the Report as "GDP is calculated as the sum of what consumers, businesses, and government spend on final goods and services, plus investment and net foreign trade. In theory, incomes earned should equal what is spent, but due to different data sources, income earned, usually referred to as gross domestic income (GDI), does not always equal what is spent (GDP). The difference is referred to as the “statistical discrepancy.”

Full report is found here:
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2011/pdf/gsp0611.pdf
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the summary of the article that CL posted.

"The Massachusetts economy expanded faster than any other state in New England last year and ranked fourth in the nation in economic growth..."

Quote:

The Devil is in the Detail
The GDP Number is for 2010 - obviously 2010 was a banner year after the recovery from the Depression levels of 2009.

For me, it's not about the number, it's about the fact that Mass is doing very well compared to everybody else.

Quote:
If the Globe says so, then it must be true.

You sound like a 10 year old. Did you even read the article? The data is from a Chamber of Commerce report. Here it is in the Herald if that makes you feel better.

I sincerely hope that anyone considering your financial services finds and reads this thread.
BK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Data Source for Globe article Reply with quote

Renting in Mass - you are wrong on the source of the Data -
Yes. There are lots of positives in the Massachusetts Economy, but keep in mind this report doesn't focus on increased productivity from increased OUTPUT - the report methodology defines Output = Total Money Out. Keep in Mind Gasoline went up and many things went up in price from 2009-2010. Is this productivity or is the Price Inflation??

The Data for the article comes from
THE US DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE:

"Mass. economy’s growth fourth in the nation
E-mail| Print | Comments (49) June 7, 2011 3:04 PM
By Megan Woolhouse, Globe Staff

The Massachusetts economy expanded faster than any other state in New England last year and and ranked fourth in the nation in economic growth, the US Department of Commerce reported today.
CL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer - The report is from Department of Commerce, analysis done by BEA, not Boston Globe. Bashing Boston Globe is easy (and fun sometimes), but in this case, irrelevant (and to be honest, quite sloppy).

BK - thanks for the link. I actually think given MA was not hit as hard during the recession (compared to Midwest and West), it would lag other states in recovery.

If you look at 2007 to 2010, MA grows 2.4% in real GDP terms over the period, vs TX 3.1%, NY 1.6%, CA -2.1%

I did not notice the disclaimer, thanks for pointing it out. There are always problem in compiling macro statistics (overseas citizens earnings, different data sources, etc). It's just a fact of life that I learn to accept. While it may affect the absolute number, it should not affect the relative ranking among states.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
keep in mind this report doesn't focus on increased productivity from increased OUTPUT

Keep in mind that I don't care since I'm primarily interested in pointing out that Boston isn't going to look like Albany or Springfield any time soon.

Quote:

While it may affect the absolute number, it should not affect the relative ranking among states.

Exactly.
BK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm GMT    Post subject: You May want to Move to Buffalo Reply with quote

Renting in Mass,

You are a wise man/woman/person.

You may want to review the Local Metro Area Data from the BEA.Gov.

Buffalo has been booming when compared to Boston Metro Area.

Metro Buffalo GDP Increase from prior period was:
3.8% in 2008
0.3% in 2009 (keep in Mind lots of areas went negative in 2009)

Metro Boston-Cambridge-Quincy-NH GDP Increase from prior period was:
2.4% in 2008
-3.3 in 2009 (2010 data must show a rebound from -3.3%)

Metro Springfield-MA GDP Increase from prior period was:
4.0% in 2008
-0.2 in 2009 (so the depression of 09 was a lot less bad in Springfield)

http://www.bea.gov/scb/pdf/2011/05%20May/D%20pages/0511dpg_j.pdf

Bottom line is Government statistics can be mis-leading and useless.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many statistics and reports out there and ways to interpret them etc. Part of this whole thing is trying to figure out what really matters and has an impact, and how much perception is a force in and of itself, meaning if a bunch of data creates a certain buzz i.e. the article in the Globe saying that Boston is doing better in comparison than other areas, how erect will that make a Renting in Massachusetts?

The Housing Market is driven by Static Head. It's about how excited you are about your future earning prospects and how many times your household income a house price is which you think you can grow into.

If you think you're a rock star you'll buy at more than 3 times your household income. If enough people do this, prices will go up.

During the Bubble, even Joe Schmoe thought he was a rock star. He didn't have a down payment, didn't have a steady job and he still qualified for a mortgage.

Why did Banks let him do this?

1. Government encouraged them with Quotas on low and moderate income loans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123509667125829243.html

from above:
Quote:
By the time the housing market collapsed, Fannie and Freddie faced three quotas. The first was for mortgages to individuals with below-average income, set at 56% of their overall mortgage holdings. The second targeted families with incomes at or below 60% of area median income, set at 27% of their holdings. The third targeted geographic areas deemed to be underserved, set at 35%.

The results? In 1994, 4.5% of the mortgage market was subprime and 31% of those subprime loans were securitized. By 2006, 20.1% of the entire mortgage market was subprime and 81% of those loans were securitized. The Congressional Budget Office now estimates that GSE losses will cost $240 billion in fiscal year 2009. If this crisis proves nothing else, it proves you cannot help people by lending them more money than they can pay back.

2. They could securitize them (avoid risk) or get insurance (Credit Default Swap) a creation from the Commodities Futures Modernization Act, signed by Bill Clinton.

3. They didn't believe that real estate would go down, so it didnt' matter who owned the house because even if they couldn't make the payments within a couple of years, the house would be worth 6-8% more so they could sell for a gain. House Price appreciation was the real cusion. If you "fell" or couldn't make your payments, you could sell... and make a profit...

4. When the Stock Market lost a huge percentage in 2000, investors needed a "Sanctuary" of investment so people moved their capital out of equities and into real estate (second homes, rentals, REITS, etc.)

5. The extension of credit created a Wealth Effect. When people used to get paid once a month and they spent like drunken sailors when they got their paycheck, they'd be eating carrot sticks for a few weeks. When we went credit card crazy people were spending a decades worth of savings. This splurging inflated prices, salaries, tuitions, and when you could tap into your home credit it was like a big money tree so we ended up with a government surplus, beause it was a credit based surcharge of wealth (which ended).

6. All the regulations associated with these new dangerous "modernization" laws were ignored by Bush's people, and underwriters like Standard and Poors were giving AIG (the primary holder of Credit Default Swaps) an "AAA" Rating just before the Economic Meltdown of 2008.

Now my question was that Joe Schmoe who wasn't smart did what he did, but why did Joe Rockstar do what he did? Joe Schmoe bought the house because he thought that if he couldn't afford it, the man at the bank with the suit wouldn't give him a loan. The guy with the suit didn't give a shit because if Joe Schmoe went belly up, he'd get another Joe Schmoe to buy it without losses in in a couple of years and get fees out of him.

You guys aren't Joe Schmoes (I think many get confused as to what data to draw from... including me sometimes..) but most of you are Joe Rockstars.

During the Bubble you had a ton of static head and it was only buying into the delusion that you were a rock star that you'd buy way over 3 times your household income.

My other question is today, the younger buyer that you are competing with in bidding on a house, HOW MANY TIMES THEIR HOUSEHOLD INCOME WILL THEY PAY GIVEN TODAY'S ECONOMY?????

This is the big question of the day. It doesn't matter about a tick up or down or how Massachusetts did in one quarter versus Albany, other than the noise it makes and how that perception creates its own reality. What matters today is how does a Housing Market transition from when House Prices were like 4 plus times median household income to wherever it drops (3 times)?

If incomes tick up 2% it doesn't cover the static head of someone extending 4 times their household income to 3 times their household income.

The only place this is happening is in Washington D.C. where the Federal spendining is so robust that people still feel that secure in their jobs and feel that their salaries will keep growing and growing and growing.

How confident are young buyers today? What do you think.

This changing confidence and security is the changing context I was trying to allude to.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the other part of context: the future economic deficits...

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-only-chart-you-need-to-see-to-understand-why-the-us-is-screwed-2011-2

Look at the chart that shows how the United States

F2010 Revenue - $2.2 Trillion
F2010 Expenses - $3.5 Trillion

My point here is that prior to the Bubble the norm was 3 times household income bought a house; during the Bubble it was 4 to 5 times household income.

Will it go back to the normal 3 times household income, or because of these Deficits and obvious higher taxes, go down further to 2 times household income?

Now take Boston and the "Superstar" reference, if parents dipped into savings and tapped their home equity to send Junior to a $45k a year college and now Junior has a part of that loan to pay back, Junior doesn't have the down payment and Mom and Dad can't offer it either. Mom and Dad lost a chunk of their Retirement Fund so they need to focus on that.

These kids are the future home buyers in Massachusetts and if they are financially bonded due to college costs and now they get saddled with all this Debt and taxes, and Mom and Dad are still working instead of retiring and clogging the job opportunities, what will the multiple of house price to household income be then?
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK, I have no idea what your point is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.