bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Context is Changing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Boston - Government related Indusrties Reply with quote

CL,

GenXer and BostonITer,

See what I see. The Bulk of the Boston economy is based on Government Subsidies or Finance.
Healthcare - is dependent on Government spending - I think I recall that Medicare is 50-60% of all healthcare spending. No matter how you slice it huge amounts of Government Money (Tax payer funds or borrowed funds) flow into every aspect of Heatlhcare.
Defense contracts and Education are two other great pillars of the Boston Area economy.
CL - add up the number of People that you know that work in Healthcare or Education or Defense.

If the Interest rates are force up in the future - the Government will have to spend less Money - which Industries will be impacted.

Sadly, the Manufacturing base of Boston Area has been in decline for decades.

Can Government spending replace Manufacturing as a Source of Wealth?
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
GenXer - I agree asset prices (House, stock, bond, derivative, commodity prices etc) are prone to extreme events. I would argue economic variables (GDP, unemployment, etc) is a lot slow moving. It does not make it immune to extreme, but I find people often confuse the 2.

By the way, GenXer, if you are really that gloomy and certain about MA economy, why are you still here? You are placing your most precious asset (your time, and I assume your family) in a state where you think it's almost destined to fail. Your action contradicts your argument. I ask this in all seriousness.

I wouldn't be so sure about GDP and any other economic variables including interest rates, and many others. In fact, GDP scales (has fat tails):
http://69.164.193.67/site_media/publication_pdfs/Canning-1998-Econ.Lett.-60-335.pdf

I'm making a probabilistic (not a deterministic) argument by the way. Deterministic: MA will fail.
Probabilistic: There is a high chance (that I can't quantify) that MA can fail given the hidden risks/liabilities and big potential that future shocks can contribute to it.

And it won't be all of MA of course - some cities/towns will be first (just like in CA, if you study the past history).

There is a huge difference between the two. There are ways to avoid failure, of course. I don't mind making this bet - if I lose the bet, I won't lose my shirt.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Boston - Government related Indusrties Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
See what I see. The Bulk of the Boston economy is based on Government Subsidies or Finance.

[ snip ]

If the Interest rates are force up in the future - the Government will have to spend less Money - which Industries will be impacted.

Sadly, the Manufacturing base of Boston Area has been in decline for decades.

Can Government spending replace Manufacturing as a Source of Wealth?

Well, for New York City, finance/media is its source of wealth. The same goes for LA, ala Hollywood and the movie industry.

So it is possible to have a less *productive* economy but still have some positive net cash flow. The problem is that Boston is not geared towards finance, like NYC or London. It's basically a old mutual fund town where it's cheaper to run these albatrosses in NC or TX, now that Peter Lynch is out to pasture.

Thus, Boston is now on the same path as Upstate NY (see Buffalo, Syracuse, etc) where govt will form the nexus of the economy. So far, Upstate NY has been in the economic doldrums for two or more decades with little signs of reversal.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 most populous metro areas ranked by job postings per capita

Boston is #6. That's up from #8 last quarter.

My apologies to those who don't believe in using data to form their conclusions.
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this show? I can show you thousands of postings, and only a handful of actual hires.

What is the rate at which those who are laid off are losing benefits? How many drop out of the workforce?
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What does this show?

It shows the 50 most populous metro areas ranked by job postings per capita.

Quote:
I can show you thousands of postings, and only a handful of actual hires.

Is your argument that Boston has a lower ratio of job postings to actual hires than other metro areas?

Quote:
What is the rate at which those who are laid off are losing benefits? How many drop out of the workforce?

Well, I could give you the data (Boston is below the national average), but you don't believe the unemployment numbers, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I caught the reason that genXer wants to be here.
Something about risking that he won't lose his shirt.
But what compels you to be here in the first place and take that risk?
Aren't there other more desirable, less risky places to be?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I'm not sure I caught the reason that genXer wants to be here.

While I'm not able to ascertain his affinity for the region, for me, it's essentially like holding onto one's hometown until the *Rust Belt* forces one to leave old friends behind for a second life in TX.

So far, things are working out for me so I stay put until that changes, however, in anticipation of that change, I want my relocation to go w/o much fanfare.
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can always cherry-pick numbers to show that either we are doing well, or not doing well. This exercise is quite pointless.

Do you know why? Because the predictive power of these numbers is 0! If we were able to predict the future based on current numbers, some of us could get very wealthy. But what is a good predictor of possible disaster? Large unfunded liabilities which are getting bigger, for example, as well as future cuts that could create a big downside. No mystery about that. I don't claim that you can make money on this, because we don't know how much and when, but this possibility is much stronger than the supposedly 'fixed' economy that will somehow miraculously recover.

Just like a house is a place to live, MA is just a place to stay. Much of America is very mobile, and for a good reason. Most people are likely staying where they are either because of family or because of jobs.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
I don't claim that you can make money on this, because we don't know how much and when, but this possibility is much stronger than the supposedly 'fixed' economy that will somehow miraculously recover.

Just like a house is a place to live, MA is just a place to stay. Much of America is very mobile, and for a good reason. Most people are likely staying where they are either because of family or because of jobs.

Well, there are dynamics of a recovery. One of those features is strong private sector hiring in income generating sectors like tech, finance, a/o biopharma. This was the MA miracle story, since the new Boston area of the 60s. When the above is supplanted by Guns 'n Butter type of govt spending projects (incl education/heathcare), auto cannibalism starts to take roots. The current "recovery" is based upon robbing Peter to pay Paul. Well, the trend is that Paul is getting out of dodge & looking towards greener pastures: NC, TX, or CO to resume his economic activities.

I guess this would work if we were Washington DC, since in effect, they're being propped up by all 50 states & only have a biopharma presence, thanks to nearby Bethesda & Johns Hopkins Med but that's one of the caveats of being the nation's capital. Likewise, on the Canadian side, Ottawa is also a non-productive capital city which extracts a lot of its economic stability from the tax base of Alberta, Toronto-Hamilton, and such.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because the predictive power of these numbers is 0!

True. Good thing I'm using them to counter the argument that Boston's economy is experiencing a precipitous decline right now.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my argument:

Boston ITer says "When hiring is in paucity but mainstay jobs are in retraction, the region changes." That's a statement about the present. I provided some information about the present that suggest that hiring isn't "in paucity."
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what's going on with the hiring. I network with dozens (if not hundreds) of people. I know who got a job in what area and who didn't. Many software people got jobs, but contract. Defense jobs are dwindling. Software is mostly hiring younger people.

I don't disagree with you on hiring - it is happening. But so are layoffs, and people dropping off the unemployment.

Unemployment is still very high for any type of recovery. In fact, let's wait a year or two and see. If nothing changes, we are nowhere near recovery.

If you are familiar with a concept of equillibrium, it does not mean that nothing happens, but rather the number of jobs created is equal to the number of jobs lost. While the number of jobs created can be high, I see that the number of jobs lost is equally high, and add to that those who drop off, this pretty much keeps the unemployment rate steady (despite the phantom drop, much of which can be explained this way).

Also, don't forget the new college grads. They've never been employed, so the unemployment is probably even higher because of that.
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you so:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/More-job-seekers-give-up-apf-1644448346.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=9&asset=&ccode=

Next article would be something like 'unemployment rate higher because new gards can't find work'.

Compound that a couple of years, and you'll see what phantom unemployment is vs. official numbers.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're switching arguments midstream. We were talking about how Boston is doing compared to other cities. Now you're talking about the US labor market. I don't disagree that unemployment is high, lots of people have giving up looking, and college grads are having a hard time finding work.

This chart says it all.

Quote:
Next article would be something like 'unemployment rate higher because new gards can't find work'.

New grads don't show up in the unemployment statistics. They haven't worked enough to qualify for unemployment benefits, so they aren't counted.

I agree that unemployment is higher than the official numbers suggest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.