bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Context is Changing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:

Ugh Maine... there's two gas stations in the entire state. At least the gas can't cost more than $.99 cents because the meters don't have 3 digits.

Well... they could always move the decimal point.

- admin
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Boston ITer wrote:
If you're worried that eventually, inflation will eat away at it, here's a listing in Sanford Maine, roughly 2 hrs from Boston ...

Ugh Maine... there's two gas stations in the entire state. At least the gas can't cost more than $.99 cents because the meters don't have 3 digits.

Yes I know, the logical answer is to simply move to Texas, buy a $150K home in Dallas, and forget about being a rural land owner in New England. I agree.

This is an idea for those who get home sick.
GenXer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA economy is on life support right now. It is going, but unemployment is huge (the numbers lie of course, as usual, not showing the real unemployment). Because the economy was good before, many families had only a single earner. This is not reflected in the numbers - a huge number of people don't work.

Nobody is saying that MA economy will crash. I agree that some private employers are hiring (selectively though). Some are laying off as well.

This is a very, very slow process that can be reversed temporarily if the US economy picks up very fast. But in the long run, this state is going down, sooner or later. They will try to drag the people with them (i.e. higher taxes, outsized and unfunded pension obligations, etc). It is only a matter of time though that the people won't want to pay. Private employers may even get out of state if corporate taxes rise.

I think we are beginning to see cuts on a town level, but this is still nothing compared to what will happen in the future. The 'porkulus' funding is still sloshing in the system. Salaries are still growing for unions. The tide has not turned yet, but it will. Real estate prices have not really fallen by much where it matters. Salaries are being compressed as we speak, and inflation is picking up.

I fail to see how anything is getting better, though I'm optimistic that in the future when the tide turns and huge cuts are made to turn us around, it will get better. We are nowhere near that turning point though.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
MA economy is on life support right now.

Aside from the 3 bears, the rest are bullish on MA economy based upon this feel good rhetoric ... "Health care, Universities, MIT Startups".

And that's about it, a saying from the 80s/90s, but reverberated for another cycle. I always wonder why folks can't see an end to the good olde days. The years ahead are nothing like the 80s and 90s.
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the future isn't linear. It is highly susceptible to negative (as well as positive) Black Swans. A negative one can impact our economy disproportionally. So, in other words, everything may seem fine now, but it only takes a big shock to case lots of damage to an over-leveraged and and indebted system.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
The problem is that the future isn't linear. It is highly susceptible to negative (as well as positive) Black Swans.

I guess the question is whether or not do we need a Black Swan to see what's happening to an area which has been living in its storied past, beyond the decade of the IT bubble?

30 years ago, few on the coasts would consider working or doing a post-grad residency at the MD Anderson a/o Baylor Medical facilities in Houston? Today, those are some the finest clinics in the country, employing over 90K while serving 6+ million per year, where residents can actually afford a place to live in near the hospitals. In contrast, Longwood Ave's main solace is its Harvard affiliation, which is fine for the olde resume but what happens when you have so many tenured dept/group chiefs? Exactly, not much growth for the newcomers. And living in a run down triple decker, for all those years, probably isn't much incentive for anyone to settling down in Boston long term.
CL

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents -

1. I am not bullish on MA in an absolute sense. But I do think Boston economy has a more defensive mix than other city, say Dallas. Defensive is different from bullish. Defensive means less volatility. Boston won't hit jackpot like San Jose in late 90s, but it also won't crash like Detroit in 2008.

2. The reason of 1 is, as Boston ITer mentioned, business mix.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/Jobs-Forecast-2011/34083932/1

I think 1) Healthcare and Education plays a larger role in Boston economy when compared to other cities. And 2) Healthcare and Education weather recessions and downturns better than other cyclical industries, unlike Manufacturing and ITs. It's not "feel good rhetoric", and you can verify with data in above link or state official data.

I do like to see the supporting data behind the "feel bad rhetoric"
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do like to see the supporting data behind the "feel bad rhetoric"

Don't hold your breath... If "numbers lie," then anecdotal evidence and personal intuition trumps everything.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, we need mass hiring in Mass, to see a real turnaround. We had this back in the 1993 to 1995 time frame. Since many people use the whole 'past performance' notion, then they need to remember the past recoveries as well.

When hiring in in paucity but mainstay jobs are in retraction, the region changes.

Here's an example of what I mean. Let's say Reebox & Gillette lay off a 1000 persons (& BTW, this had occurred); now a research analyst from these places applies to Tufts Insur, Harte Hanks, Epsilon, and other services/data related companies for a job, if that person's original salary was $85-95K, unless that experience is an *exact fit* for a complimentary $85-95K job, he/she will most likely be seeing a downshift to a $60-80K bracket for his/her skill set. And why is that? It's because a lot of jobs are similar in scope but have subtle differences based upon industry exposure like consumer products outreach vs internal marketing for verticals.

Thus, unless this person has a key skill, which is then used by an adjacent dept, like Data Warehouse DBA, then he/she may have to take that pay cut. But then, once the HR dept gets wind of this situation, they'd rather mark the person as overqualified because they feel that anyone who was earning more earlier, has plans to leave, in short order once the economy picks up.
CL

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I challenge the idea that Reebok and Gillette jobs as "mainstay", at least in current MA economy. Manufacturing is in decline (as it should be when you consider the cost disparity), but it's not only in MA but other states as well. So the jobs are lost to China/Thailand/Indonesia/etc.

According to BLS, manufacturing consists of 8% of Metro Boston economy. It's not small but not earth shattering big. Education and Healthcare consists of 21%. It would be a much bigger hit proportionally if MIT, Harvard and Beth Isarel starts firing professors, doctors and nurses at the same time.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
I challenge the idea that Reebok and Gillette jobs as "mainstay", at least in current MA economy. Manufacturing is in decline (as it should be when you consider the cost disparity), but it's not only in MA but other states as well. So the jobs are lost to China/Thailand/Indonesia/etc.

Ok, then add in Fidelity, Putnam, MFS, and State St. They're also laying off and moving jobs.

The point was that I'd mentioned white collar work, *research analyst* for marketing, as my key example, not a manufacturing job, as it's expected that manufacturing would go away. It's Gillette, who has manufacturing facilities in MA. Most other companies are mainly HQ, outside of biopharma.

And in that vein, when will Pfizer move former G.I./Wyeth's big biotech facility in Andover to a cheaper locale? FYI, they too employ some 2K+ in MA & have been earmarked for rightsizing and re-location. That firm [which was <400 in 1990] plus Genzyme/Biogen accounted for a major portion of the 90s recovery, alongside the financials like Fidelity.
CL

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer - With the example you used, you seem to focus on the job loss in Financial Sector. According to BLS, Boston lost 22K jobs from 2001 to 2010 in Financial Sector. Education and Healthcare, however, added 85K of jobs in the same period.

Nationally, total financial sector employment has been flat from 2000 to 2010 (which coupled with MA job loss, support your observation that those financial jobs are relocated to cheaper locale, such as the example of Fidelity to NH, RI, TX, etc). Education and healthcare has grown 27% since 2000. So an overweight on education and healthcare may not be a bad idea.The total non-farm payroll in MA does drop by 4% (2426 from 2535) as a whole, compared to -2% nationally for the last decade.

I would love to look at total payroll (instead of # of people employed) by sector within state through time, but still digging for the data.

All I am saying is looking at one or two high profile examples and then makes generalized conclusion is very misleading, and typically not very useful.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL, increasing stagnant ancillary positions in health care or education was the path which Buffalo NY has taken, since the rust belt, & has never had a thriving economy.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/PDFs/NYS-Decade-in-Review-Appendix-C-Western-NY.pdf

The reason for it is that it doesn't bring revenue into the region. Instead, it's a value added tax on everyone else working in the area because it's a part of that conundrum of non-tradeable good/services.

The tech company I currently do projects for, had booked revenue from 5-6 continents. That's a net income generator for MA until they shut down our local office. Now, granted that that's one firm but this trend is increasing for others, as well. So true, if you pay higher insurance premiums and that allows Lahey to hire a few more X-ray/MRI techs, that's great for those techs but consider the net loss of income which now has to be made up for by higher VAT (Insur premiums) for all other workers. I have a hard time seeing how this forms the basis of a recovery. When Wyeth was in its peak, it was selling Interleukins, Coagulating factors, Protease exhibitors, etc, on a global market. When Pfizer finds a cheap backwater to re-locate this work than that global income stream goes with it.
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think numbers don't mean much when dealing with most economic variables, which are proven to have fat tails. What this means is that averages (or current readings) do not mean that much. What does matter is the hidden risk and unfunded liabilities, as well as future budgets (i.e. potential high impact 'shocks'). Anybody who views universities as immune to economic change is simply not smelling the coffee. The same was surely said about the housing bubble. Cities like Newton are now discussing how much or how little to cut the budget - and this is only a start. There was a couple of years' delay because of the 'porkulus' which bought municipalities a couple of years of nothing, but the bills are now due, and while the private sector is at least not laying off as much as before, public sector is very close to being bankrupt. None of this is anecdotal, by the way, but again, extreme events have a way of impacting our economy, and if there is an increasingly growing budget gap, this can eventually do a lot of damage (if the greater economy does not recover to support tax increases, for example).

In short, there is no upside that is apparent because of systemic problems that can create plenty of downside. So if I was a betting man, I'd buy myself a nice 'long' short on the MA economy.
CL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer - I agree asset prices (House, stock, bond, derivative, commodity prices etc) are prone to extreme events. I would argue economic variables (GDP, unemployment, etc) is a lot slow moving. It does not make it immune to extreme, but I find people often confuse the 2.

By the way, GenXer, if you are really that gloomy and certain about MA economy, why are you still here? You are placing your most precious asset (your time, and I assume your family) in a state where you think it's almost destined to fail. Your action contradicts your argument. I ask this in all seriousness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.