bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Calculated Risk's predictions for housing prices in 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Calculated Risk's predictions for housing prices in 2011 Reply with quote

I think the arguments for another 5% to 10% drop at the national level are compelling.

I wish there were equivalent charts for just Boston. I think we'd see that Boston has farther to fall to get back to the long term trend lines.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Calculated Risk's predictions for housing prices in 2011 Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:
I think the arguments for another 5% to 10% drop at the national level are compelling.

I wish there were equivalent charts for just Boston. I think we'd see that Boston has farther to fall to get back to the long term trend lines.

I think there are equivalent charts here for Boston for all but the months of inventory chart:

Of course, Calculated Risk adds predictions to all of these too.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're good Smile

It's the first chart that I'm particularly interested in. The runup to the peak matches the composite index very closely, but the fall from the peak is very different. The composite fell from 180 to 110, but Boston only fell from 180 to 155. Calculated Risk thinks the composite gets back to 100. If Boston is going to get anywhere near that number, we've got a long way to fall.

Any thoughts on why Boston would be different? Why would Boston mirror the composite on the way up but not the way down? Can Boston beat the reversion to mean that is so clear in the composite?

The futures show Boston achieving a permanently high plateau. I'm skeptical. I'll put my money on reversion to the mean every time.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two important things that differ between the charts you're comparing. First, the Boston chart you linked to was actually the nominal chart. You should use the inflation adjusted version to have an equivalent of Calculated Risk's chart. The other major difference is the base time period. The (real) Boston chart is based such that the most recent month equals 100, but the Calculated Risk chart looks like they set January 2000 to 100. They probably did that to maintain the convention used by the S&P/Case-Shiller Indexes whereby January 2000 equals 100 in the nominal indexes, but that seems to me to be wholly arbitrary as a point for where prices should be. It looks like we would require a ~15% real decline to get back to January 2000 real prices, which is a lot closer to what Calculated Risk is predicting nationally.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, the Boston chart you linked to was actually the nominal chart. You should use the inflation adjusted version to have an equivalent of Calculated Risk's chart.

Agreed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
The other major difference is the base time period. The (real) Boston chart is based such that the most recent month equals 100, but the Calculated Risk chart looks like they set January 2000 to 100. They probably did that to maintain the convention used by the S&P/Case-Shiller Indexes whereby January 2000 equals 100 in the nominal indexes, but that seems to me to be wholly arbitrary as a point for where prices should be.

I need to better understand the Case-Shiller methodology. I didn't realize 100 was arbitrary. I thought it represented something concrete.

Quote:

It looks like we would require a ~15% real decline to get back to January 2000 real prices, which is a lot closer to what Calculated Risk is predicting nationally.

That makes more sense Smile
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got the idea that 100 represented something from this chart from long ago.

Now that I look more carefully I see that 100 was just the arbitrary starting point here too.

So when Calculated Risk says he thinks index might get back to 100, he's not saying that because 100 has any particular significance, he's just pointing out that it looks like we're headed for 2001 prices, which happens to be the baseline for that particular chart.

Thanks for clarifying Smile
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he's saying we're heading toward 2000 prices, which is the baseline.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:
Actually he's saying we're heading toward 2000 prices, which is the baseline.

I think normalized unit value would be closer terminology than arbitrary. That being said, we have a theory that Boston has been spared because of state spending and defense. Defense may get hit hard in the upcoming budget cuts and the state will likely hit their market imposed debt ceiling within a few years. There's also the demographic problem but that won't hit until 2020s as I recall. While I won't claim to predict the future, I'm just saying there are plenty of risk factors that could cause us to still correct further in the future while the rest of the country recovers.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:

I think normalized unit value would be closer terminology than arbitrary.

I meant that the selection of the date being normalized to was arbitrary with respect to any special significance of the price on that date. The ratios between index values on different dates are what matter rather than the scale, so the scale is normalized to something convenient (January 2000 is easy to remember and relatively recent).

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.