bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

The Choice: Help Buyer's or Sellers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest Again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:47 am GMT    Post subject: The Choice: Help Buyer's or Sellers? Reply with quote

Great article about the administration's tradeoff: help current or future owners? Someone needed to say this: helping current owners prop up their home values makes it less affordable for others to buy homes. The bias towards sellers hurts buyers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/business/economy/06housing.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:57 am GMT    Post subject: Re: The Choice: Help Buyer's or Sellers? Reply with quote

Guest Again wrote:
Great article about the administration's tradeoff: help current or future owners?

There are legions more future owners than present owners. The difference, of course, is that future owners can't vote now.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not exactly. It's really seller biased like all the other articles out there. Anyone know what it takes to get an OpEd in the NYT? It would be GREAT if BostonBubble could get one in there, explaining the conundrum from the point of view of buyers.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Well not exactly. It's really seller biased like all the other articles out there. Anyone know what it takes to get an OpEd in the NYT? It would be GREAT if BostonBubble could get one in there, explaining the conundrum from the point of view of buyers.

I think you should go for it, Balor. You are always well spoken and I agree with 99& of what you write.

Regarding the original proposition of the government choosing between current and future owners, it occurred to me that this question itself is perhaps too generous to those who favor intervention as it presupposes that the government actually could help current owners. Intervention has been tried and the results have been costly, meager, and probably temporary.

- admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, the voice of reason prevails.
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is a problem. Despite what the government did, everything continues to unravel. It will take however long it will take, but something tells me, future generations will be able to buy houses, maybe not now - in 5 or 10 years. It took several key events to align to give us this type of a market. Had the interest rates stayed high during the 2000-2003 crash, we probably wouldn't have had this much of a bubble. So IF our economy recovers enough and interest rates rise, prices will continue to fall. There will always be meddling and politics involved, but nobody has ever been able to influence prices long term. Not directly anyway. One way to influence prices however is to change the market environment, again, indirectly. When proponents of tax and spend get kicked out hopefully within the next 2 years, the only way to stay in power for the newly elected officials would be to stop taxing and spending. This should have a profound effect on the housing bubble. So instead of writing an article to NY times, maybe we all should just quietly (or loudly) support the candidates which will make it happen. For example, right now there are several candidates running against Barney Frank - wouldn't that be a great thing to vote him out of office forever? And to replace him with somebody who's actually going to be accountable for what he or she does?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
When proponents of tax and spend get kicked out hopefully within the next 2 years, the only way to stay in power for the newly elected officials would be to stop taxing and spending.

That's not the only way. They could simply divert attention elsewhere (like Iraq did), once they get into power. Why was there no tea party under W when he was at least as bad about growing government and spending?

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody elected right now will HAVE to do what the people are expecting, or else they will lose their seat in a heartbeat. Just watch Scott Brown. I bet he isn't getting re-elected. I could be wrong, but at least I'm not voting for him again, and I'll make sure that nobody I know does. The people in power right now think they will stay on forever if they disburse enough cash to buy up the electorate. This works up to a point. We are probably not at that point yet when the government can buy votes with handouts. Nobody knows how everything will play out, but if it plays out like it should - we will see a lot less spending by ALL.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
Anybody elected right now will HAVE to do what the people are expecting, or else they will lose their seat in a heartbeat.

You're assuming that the majority currently wants spending cuts as a top priority and that priorities will not change later. In fact, the timing of the tea party's emergence demonstrates that priorities do change, because if concern over spending and government growth were a constant, the same people should have ousted W.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right - enough baloney can get one elected, and I think this will stay the same. However, the current administration has raised the bar, and it may be difficult to be elected on this type of platform again. One thing that may happen, however, is the overshoot - that is, the next candidate will try to out-save the others, thereby creating a new reality in which only the savers will get elected, at least for a while. And this is definitely going to be true as long as the economy is where it is. Of course, if we ever get out of this, more money will be spent, but somehow I don't see this happening any time soon. It may take years or even decades of saving and not spending to ever get out of our hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.