bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

MAR: Jun 2010 MA SFH median up 8.2% nominal over June 2009,
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 pm GMT    Post subject: MAR: Jun 2010 MA SFH median up 8.2% nominal over June 2009, Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: MAR: Jun 2010 MA SFH median up 8.2% nominal over June 2009, as alleged deadline for tax credit approached
URL: http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2010/07/mass_home_sales_11.html
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=3105

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: New Topic
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Massachusetts buyers spent $25K more at the median to get $8K back on their taxes. It is as if they channeled the full $8K into the down payment and increased their entire mortgage to as much as that higher down payment would allow. At least they can take consolation in the fact that they will be helping to secure a backdoor bank bailout for the next 30 years.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are dumb.
CL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think people in this board is skeptical about the tax credit, which is fair, but to say market buyers overpaid 25K IN ORDER TO get the 8K tax credit is a bit of a stretch. Market value fluctuates and it is hard to quantify exactly how much price increase is due to tax credit, how much is not.

I have no data to quantify, but my guess is the median price increase is more due to the drop in mortgage rate (almost 2%) and increased affordability, rather than 8K.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
Well, I think people in this board is skeptical about the tax credit, which is fair, but to say market buyers overpaid 25K IN ORDER TO get the 8K tax credit is a bit of a stretch. Market value fluctuates and it is hard to quantify exactly how much price increase is due to tax credit, how much is not.

I have no data to quantify, but my guess is the median price increase is more due to the drop in mortgage rate (almost 2%) and increased affordability, rather than 8K.

While I do think that extremely low mortgage rates are a critically necessary (though not sufficient) condition for maintaining prices as high as they are now, I don't believe they had much to do with the rise in prices in June. Check out this chart of 30 year rates in Massachusetts:

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/graph/Default.aspx?cat=2&ids=1,-1&state=MA&d=1095&t=MSLine&eco=-1

Note the values for June for the last three years:

• June 2008: 6.14%
  • June 2009: 5.32%
  • June 2010: 4.83%

Mortgage rates were actually down a lot more YOY last June than this June, and yet prices were declining then.

Also, I would expect the effect of mortgage rates to be mostly confined to prices. The June sales increase was not confined to prices, though - sales volume jumped 24.9% YOY.

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $8K seemed to have targeted first time homebuyers which weighs the sales on the entry end of the price structure, so the median may have been lower.

The low mortgage rates induce "trade up" activity because if someone was predisposed to trade up, the timing is right because they can get a good deal and get a refinance in the meantime.

The "trade up" market also coincides with lots of babyboomers retiring and overhoused sellers with price points at the medium to upper end of the market. Many might be induced to move to Florida to get a steal.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

While earlier versions of the tax credit were targeted at "first time" buyers (really "first time in a few years"), the extension of the credit which is pertinent to June closings was open to repeat buyers too. The income limits were also raised to extend the handout to the wealthy too. I think that it boosted prices across the board, which is why the median rose. That's just from the first order effects too. There is also the increased competition that it generated from 1) people viewing the credit as free money and 2) people who did not have an adequate down payment and would not have been able to buy without the handout.

If mortgage rates which were lower than the year before were responsible for the trade up activity, and therefore the rising median, why did a similar increase not occur from June 2008 - June 2009 when the decline in rates was even greater? Prices fell instead.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is that home purchase activity is not a function of mortgage rates but of a whole bunch of factors. A drop in mortgage only increases the likelihood of increased activity.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
I think the answer is that home purchase activity is not a function of mortgage rates but of a whole bunch of factors. A drop in mortgage only increases the likelihood of increased activity.

Yes, I would agree with that. I also hypothesize that the tax credit was a strongly dominant factor which overshadowed the usual factors for recent sales. Perhaps we will know with more certainty in a few months, if mortgage rates and employment remain roughly constant.

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the Case Shiller saying?

I see the "Median" as reflective of activity along the market spectrum. It is reflective of the median income of the range of buyers and sellers and the value range of property available at any given time.

Perhaps people that may have been considered "buyers" five years ago either don't qualify due to income or down payment etc. and many others who do qualify are choosing to rent while they wait and see how secure their job situation is? If you take out that segment of "buyers", the people out there who are actually buying might be more financially secure and looking for a great deal or to refinance as well, so naturally you might see more activity in the higher end.

Admin, I get your point that they were juicing the lower end and then raised it to reach the higher level price points with the government interaction, but in many cases that $8k hand out really just may have been bringing up the down payment to the new higher lending standards. If this was the case, you wouldn't have seen a huge surcharge in newer buyers.

As far as the "Trade up" market, it isn't so much the year over year mortgage rate drops, it's that we're at historic lows right now. For example, if someone who has been a homeowner for the past ten years, most likely they have refinanced at a point when the mortgage rates were pretty low. Let's say that they originally had a 7.5% rate, don't you think that in the past ten years they have refinanced at this point? If so, what do you think they're at? Let's say that they got in at like 5.75% which is reasonable. It's going to take them something like 4.5% for them to really be induced to have the mortgage rate a contributing factor in selling.

Also, keep in mind that we have a generational thing going on where you are pairing the trade up's with the trade down's, and in many instances that means the higher end of the market. Let's say that a family may be hurting or in hock with their kid's college tuition so they sell the $2,800 s.f. colonial in Winchester and they move to the Pine Hills over 55 community in Plymouth. They sell Winchester for say $700,000 and buy Pine Hills, Plymouth for $450k; both are on the higher end of the spectrum, yet they reflect both the financial growth of a trade up and the potential financial stress of a trade down. This is what I see as a "matched pair" of buyer to seller; it takes two to tango and you need the right balance of motivation for one to trade up and the other to trade down to induce sales.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

Note the values for June for the last three years:

• June 2008: 6.14%
  • June 2009: 5.32%
  • June 2010: 4.83%

Do these numbers show what rates people are actually getting? The credit records of people got worse over those time periods so while the best rates may have gone down that doesn't mean that the average rates went with them. Lending standards also tightened, meaning people needed time to build up larger downpayments than before so regardless of the rate no one was going to be buying for a year or two until they could at least get the 3.5% down.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What's the Case Shiller saying?

The S&P/Case-Shiller Indexes for Boston are saying exactly what I would expect. That is, each tier is ticking upward, but the low tier is ticking up more than the mid tier, which is ticking up more than the high tier. That says to me that the $25K ($8K leveraged) got applied across the board and led to lower upticks on the higher tiers because it is simply a smaller percentage of the selling price there:

http://blog.redfin.com/boston/2010/07/case-shiller_tax_credit_pre-expiration_rush_boosts_prices_in_may.html

Quote:

Admin, I get your point that they were juicing the lower end and then raised it to reach the higher level price points with the government interaction, but in many cases that $8k hand out really just may have been bringing up the down payment to the new higher lending standards.

What higher lending standards? The FHA still only requires 3.5% down. Granted, that's higher than the 0% during the heyday of the bubble, but not higher than last year (I don't believe).

And I think the 3.5% down payment requirement illustrates my earlier point about the tax credit bringing a lot of competition to the market that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Massachusetts had a program which would provide an advance on the $8K tax credit so that you could use it for your down payment. That would get you a $230K house with no money down. It would get you the median priced home for a mere 1% down.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:

Do these numbers show what rates people are actually getting? The credit records of people got worse over those time periods so while the best rates may have gone down that doesn't mean that the average rates went with them. Lending standards also tightened, meaning people needed time to build up larger downpayments than before so regardless of the rate no one was going to be buying for a year or two until they could at least get the 3.5% down.

The "about our rates" link on that bankrate.com page would seem to indicate that those rates are indeed averages, so yes, I think they are what people are actually getting.

As for the lending standards tightening, when did they go up to 3.5%? I was under the impression that was pretty long ago, long enough that any lag which the transition introduced would have been played out already.

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/22/business/la-fi-harney22-2009nov22

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomeFinancing/last-chance-for-lowest-cost-loans.aspx

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/02/16/fha-changes-make-fha-loans-more-expensive/

http://wealthwithmortgage.com/1039/mortgage-insurance-on-fha-loans-is-increasing/

This is the nature of the stuff I was basing my thinking.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I see how the FHA changes which were listed in the articles that you posted and which have already been implemented would affect down payment requirements. The only exception is the higher down payment requirement of 10% for people with a 580 credit score, and to quote the biggerpockets.com article you posted: "very few lenders (I am not personally aware of any, but maybe there are still a few out there) will lend money to someone for an FHA loan with a 580 mid credit score." No doubt, some of the other changes may exert (minor?) downward pressure on prices, but that goes to the overall cost of the loan and does not affect the down payment requirements which is where you suggested the $8K credit flowed to.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.