bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Defaulting Homeowners Finally Pay the Price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaidran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Defaulting Homeowners Finally Pay the Price Reply with quote

Personally I'd be more forgiving of walk aways socially, but I'd up the restrictions to 10-15 years before you could re-qualify. I see it as a business decision not a moral decision. As such it needs bigger business penalties.

http://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/personal-finance/home/2010/07/02/defaulting-homeowners-finally-pay-the-price.aspx
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the "business decision" is made when you sign your mortgage and whether or not you honor your agreements when you are fully capable of doing so is very much an ethical decision. If you are truly in a bad place financially and walking away would give you hope, that is why foreclosure exists in the first place, and I see nothing wrong with walking away then. However, if you can afford your mortgage and choose not to pay it simply because it will save you money, then you are breaking your contract and abusing the safety net set up for those with actual hardships. None of the mortgages I have seen cast walking away as a payment option - it is the penalty for breaking your agreement.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the response, you'd think that homeowners somehow have an inalienable right to any and all opportunities to stay in their homes, whether it requires lower monthly payments, interest rate reductions, or even outright writedowns of mortgage principal....The better argument against the move is the practical one: that by locking out strategic defaulters, that set of prospective future buyers disappears, which could further destabilize the housing market and push prices down further.

So the author doesn't think that homeowners should have a right to stay in their homes but they have a right to a home price which only monotonically increases? I actually disagree with barring for 7 years, mostly just because it is highly arbitrary. Instead, I would propose that the cost of borrowing rapidly rise with each foreclosure, regardless of the reason. The buyer can always live somewhere, then, but the places get less nice each time.

I find the policy of propping up housing prices highly objectionable, both as a prospective home buyer and I imagine as a future homeowner. The role of government should be to reduce the cost of living of citizens over time, thereby increasing the standard of living. While there's a variety of ways of accomplishing this goal, a good way is with taxes. The ideal scenario is very high property taxes with minimal interest rates. We already have the low interest rates and governments need the money anyway so it seems like the perfect storm has arrived to finally fix the American housing machine, no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.