bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

rent ratio in Boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaidran wrote:
Thanks, GenXer, I think PMing is disabled, at least it is for me.

I guess I still dont understand (sorry).

I was taking the view of doing things conservatively from the beginning. If I remember right Newton was 104k salary and 656k average price. If could get a mortgage of about 400k and if I have 20% down I can still only afford a 500k house. 150k less than the average. So, with my limited understanding, if you wanted to maintain the prices you would need an influx of people with maybe a 140k income. This is all assuming that there are no other expenses that you listed, which may not be the case by any means. It just looks to me that either Boston has to grow its number of upper middle class residents or the prices need to come down to what the current residents can bring in.

I think I have even been overly generous in my estimate. I would not personally borrow 4x my salary.

The email button below the posts (of those who have added email to their profile) works. So many smart people on this forum, and finding a single button is a challenge Wink

Also, looking under memberlist works - it shows the email button as well. Again, only for those who put theirs in.

The memberlist stats are also fascinating...a tiny, tiny number of posters dominate...life is unfair Wink

john_p: you need to add your email to your profile so that people can flame you privately Wink
Kaidran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you did say "PM" and emailing on a pm request seems like bad forum etiquette to me. Razz

Anyway, I guess I wrote everything I wanted to ask in the post above anyway.
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is that mean reversion doesn't exist (and as a result, prices are 'maintained' by other means). The long answer would be explaining why that would be the case. Otherwise, that's the answer Wink

Also, another part of the answer is that you have to be careful about drawing inferences from averages. Average of 1M and 500k is 750k, if that tells you anything (i.e. an average for a 'phantom' house that doesn't exist except as a statistic - there may be a bunch of 1M houses and a bunch of 500k houses). Median is similar. A 'median' house also doesn't exist.

Also, just because you know a median salary doesn't tell you what the 'effective' salary is - some people can survive on 20k a year, and some need the entire 100k. Lots of 'high order of magnitude' aspects to this that are not trivial. One has to always be careful about the assumptions - otherwise the results may not make much sense.
Kaidran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does make sense, though is a little depressing.
CL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer - saying mean reversion does not exist is quite a sweeping statement and I don't fully agree, so would like to hear your long answer.

And while mean/average can be "phantom", median by definition has to be one of the data points of the data sample/population. So a median house does exist. How much inference/implication you can draw from it is, of course, up to (endless) debate.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

The memberlist stats are also fascinating...a tiny, tiny number of posters dominate...life is unfair Wink

Much of the memberlist is probably not real and comes from link-spam-bots which are unaware of the custom countermeasures I put in place on this board. I try to nuke them when they actually make it through with their link-spam.

That's also why private messages are disabled, incidentally. I have no doubt that the spam-bots would co-opt that feature very quickly, if it were turned on.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, a median house does physically exists, my mistake.

I will reverse that on you. Show me one paper that proves mean reversion exists, for example, in the stock market. I have several references to the contrary, all by reputable researchers.

Think about this. Take a simple coin tossing game. Does mean reversion occur? No, not by a long shot. If you run 1000 scenarios, your expected 'return' would be 0, true. But for any one sample run, your return could be anything, again, bounded by the Gaussian sqrt(t).

This is everything you ever need to know about mean reversion:

http://homepage.mac.com/j.norstad/finance/rtm-and-forecasting.html

Bottom line: nobody has ever seen it enough to make a profit on it. Don't assume something that may not be there, especially when you are betting money on it.
GenXer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaidran wrote:
That does make sense, though is a little depressing.

Actually, its liberating Wink

I know I don't have to toil on data sets trying to extract information from data that's bad by definition (i.e. the data that does not add information however much one processes it). But on the flip side, we are so much influenced by random stuff (i.e. our own inability to manage our money), or by emotions (i.e. liking a very expensive house that we can't afford) that these can dwarf the 'fundamentals'.

A limited commodity can become expensive if a small number of people bid up the prices. Doesn't have to be a large number. Just like a stock price, which can come up on very small volume. It says nothing about the underlying 'value' of the houses though. As long as there is a perception that there is value, the value can be maintained with very little forcing. Not so in other places.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years or so...
CL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to everyone for getting side-track

GenXer - if you believe the stock market is 100% efficient, then yes mean reversion will not exist since the market will not deviate from instrinic value, and thus the future return is random. But if you believe market is 100% efficient, then market bubble cannot exist neither. We all believe bubble exists, I assume.

One evidence of mean reversion exist in stock market is the performance of value indicators (Price to Earnings, Price to Book, etc). Value indicators essentially is betting on market deviate on their intrinsic value, and revert to mean/normal. Long term, it has been proved to add value. It won't add value 100% of the time, but high enough hit rate for it to be profitable. You can look up Fama French research papers in mid-90s for reference.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
Apologies to everyone for getting side-track

GenXer - if you believe the stock market is 100% efficient, then yes mean reversion will not exist since the market will not deviate from instrinic value, and thus the future return is random. But if you believe market is 100% efficient, then market bubble cannot exist neither. We all believe bubble exists, I assume.

One evidence of mean reversion exist in stock market is the performance of value indicators (Price to Earnings, Price to Book, etc). Value indicators essentially is betting on market deviate on their intrinsic value, and revert to mean/normal. Long term, it has been proved to add value. It won't add value 100% of the time, but high enough hit rate for it to be profitable. You can look up Fama French research papers in mid-90s for reference.

This is not how the world works though. Its not a choice between 'efficient' or mean reversion. Mean reversion is very specific statistical property that can not be taken for granted. Repeated tests failed to show it exists most of the time.

Just because PE goes to 'some' mean is an EX-POST, not an EX ANTE property. There is a huge difference between the two. There is a 'mean' after the feact, but not before. Again, do read the link I provided, its all there.

The proof is that nobody can predict what the future PE or stock price is based on past means. This is all the proof you need to disprove persistent mean reversion! Same goes for house prices. You can try, but chances are you will be wrong.

As always, the bottom line is never to assume anything that may exist sometimes as a rule of thumb or a fact. So when that I think prices will come down - this has nothing to do with mean reversion - but rather I'm postulating that prolonged unemployment will drain people of resources to maintain very expensive (or unaffordable) houses. The magnitude of that remains to be seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.