bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

The Depreciating American Dream, Part 4: A Third Way?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaidran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm GMT    Post subject: The Depreciating American Dream, Part 4: A Third Way? Reply with quote

http://www.wbur.org/2010/04/01/depreciating-dream-iv
Kaidran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about price regulated housing coops which are so rare as to be not worth thinking about. My gut says it is not a good idea (even if it was more than 0.0001% of the housing stock), I'm just not sure why. Still 180k to buy a house seems pretty attractive at the moment and with discipline to actually save you would be better off than buying at market price (350). Am I so preconditioned that I feel I need to give the bank their cut? They seem to be the only group that would lose under this. Am I missing something?
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a supply problem. Too few homes in good locations with access to good schools for the number of people who want to live here. With a free market high cost becomes the solution for deciding who gets to live here. With this system a lottery decides instead. Neither really addresses the underlying cause.

I think the best approach is for government to proactively plan for the growth needed by it's citizens and to use this plan to control home prices. If we had such a plan in Boston (Texas cities have them), then I imagine it would look like this:
* Build and move some roads. Rebuild the others up to modern standards
* Extend and reroute T access to better cover the area
* Replace low density expensive homes with higher density cheaper homes
* Relax and standardize zoning laws (eliminating grandfathering)
This would be a major shakeup and the New England culture would not tolerate it but it would take us a long way. There's lot of other American cities who have successfully coped with populations of our size while supporting the same level of population and business (Houston and Dallas for example).

The key is good city planning and eliminating barriers to implementing it.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, who cares about coops? They should have focused on the pros and cons of condos and townhouses, which are very common.
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice neighborhoods don't build 3br and 4br condos. Nor do they build townhouses. The only times that they do these things is when they are luxurious enough that they can cost as much as homes in that neighborhood. A nice house in Wellesley costs about $600k - $800k and a nice townhome in the same city? About $500k - $600k. Not much of a savings. In Weston townhomes run about $1mil and Lexington is similar. The cities are careful to make sure they don't accidentally approve competition that could depress home prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.