bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Mass. housing rebound elusive, data say

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Mass. housing rebound elusive, data say Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: Mass. housing rebound elusive, data say
URL: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/03/26/mass_housing_rebound_elusive_ ...truncated...
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=2903

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: New Topic
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

The Warren Group's numbers are wrong. Foreclosure petitions have doubled, tripled and in some cases quadrupled over last year. Here are the February numbers:

South Middlesex 2010 - 277 2009 - 72

Suffolk 2010 - 273 2009 - 79

South Worcester 2010 - 552 2009 - 236

North Middlesex 2010 - 141 2009 - 25

January and March numbers show the same trend. I'd be curious to know the reason for their error, perhaps a registry branch failed to report?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Rain,

Their numbers are for the entire state. Could the registries you listed be more volatile than the rest of the state's? Also, not that this makes a big difference to your point, but North Middlesex foreclosures in February 2009 were 45 rather than 25.

- admin
Kaidran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a lot easier t pay my mortgage in western Mass than it will be if I get one near Boston. I'd guess the rest of the state is suppressing the Boston problem.
john p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of microclimate markets in Massachusetts. It is always good to step outside of an orbit just to reshuffle the deck in your mind.

It's good that you guys are picking up on it anyway just so that you're aware when someone might be mixing data on you to help their argument...
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Hard Rain,

Their numbers are for the entire state. Could the registries you listed be more volatile than the rest of the state's? Also, not that this makes a big difference to your point, but North Middlesex foreclosures in February 2009 were 45 rather than 25.

- admin

I doubt it, I also did comparisons in Middle Berkshire 124 vs 73 , Franklin 83 vs 27. The large population centers are mostly accounted for and all show an increase not a decrease. Some registrys are not online and unavailable for search but I find it unlikely that they would buck the trend.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Rain wrote:

I doubt it, I also did comparisons in Middle Berkshire 124 vs 73 , Franklin 83 vs 27. The large population centers are mostly accounted for and all show an increase not a decrease. Some registrys are not online and unavailable for search but I find it unlikely that they would buck the trend.

I assume you're using www.masslandrecords.com to get the numbers. How are you counting petitions? I get zero results for South Middlesex in February when I perform a Document Search and select "PETITION". I assume I'm selecting the wrong document type, but I didn't see a better option when skimming.

- admin
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

Yes I do use masslandrecords.com. To search for South Middlesex petitions use "order of notice" for Suffolk it's "order". Most registries are some variation of order or notice, it's painful but you can figure it out by looking at that actual document.

FYI

South Middlesex March 2010 - 246 2009 - 90

Suffolk March 2010 - 245 2009 - 107
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Rain wrote:

Yes I do use masslandrecords.com. To search for South Middlesex petitions use "order of notice" for Suffolk it's "order". Most registries are some variation of order or notice, it's painful but you can figure it out by looking at that actual document.

Orders of notice aren't the same thing as foreclosure petitions. There is a distinction drawn in this Registry blog post: http://lowelldeeds.blogspot.com/2010/03/globe-story-on-january-foreclosures.html Funny thing... that blog post was pointing out a large difference between orders of notice and The Warren Group's numbers too, but for January instead of February. If The Warren Group did make a mistake, it doesn't look like a one time anomaly.

- admin
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Hard Rain wrote:

Orders of notice aren't the same thing as foreclosure petitions. There is a distinction drawn in this Registry blog post: http://lowelldeeds.blogspot.com/2010/03/globe-story-on-january-foreclosures.html Funny thing... that blog post was pointing out a large difference between orders of notice and The Warren Group's numbers too, but for January instead of February. If The Warren Group did make a mistake, it doesn't look like a one time anomaly.

- admin

Nice catch,

My guess , must be a problem with the petition data reporting since according to Dick at the Lowell office one simply follows the other. If this is the case sloppy reporting by the Warren Group...

"The source of the story – Warren Group CEO Tim Warren – surely knows his stuff and he’s quoted as saying that January 2010 saw the lowest level of foreclosure petitions since December 2008. Now to be fair, “foreclosure petitions” means new cases filed in the Land Court so that would certainly be an early indicator. We, on the other hand, track Orders of Notice (which come shortly after the petition is filed in the Land Court) and foreclosure deeds which are recorded after the auction sale is held."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.