bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Bay State homeowners' equity among highest in nation, althou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Bay State homeowners' equity among highest in nation, althou Reply with quote

Use this forum thread to discuss the following link.

Description: Bay State homeowners' equity among highest in nation, although some ZIP codes are struggling
URL: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2010/02/08/story11.html
Info/Broken?: http://www.bostonbubble.com/link_info.php?id=2823

Subscribe to New Links: RSS Feed
Suggest a Link: New Topic
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they define home equity? Balance paid off mortgage or difference between home value and remaining mortgage balance? If the latter, which I suspect it is, then I'm guessing this means that people in this state just didn't cash out their gains over the last few years, which explains why home values haven't plummeted.
JCK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure equity is calculated as follows:

Home value - Mortgage balance = Equity.

My recollection is that there are a relatively large number of people in MA with no mortgage, and relatively few who used the option ARM loans so popular in CA, AZ, NV, and FL.
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a large number of people taking out 30 yr mortgages at 7x income then and/or a large number of bought pre-bubble?
CL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is a combination
#1 - A lot of people/families does not have/have very low mortgage balance to begin with

#2 - There is a big professor/doctor community in Boston compared to other metro cities, which is defensive in nature. You can compare the top 100 employer to see that. Thus you have less 20mil+ mansion compared to Los Angeles since we have less super rich, but you have a tier of 1-3mil house supported by tenured/protected income stream of 250K+ every year.

#3 - Does not have the widespread increase volume in new construction compared to CA/FL, thus 1) supply remains constrained to support prices/equity, and 2) the housing stock vintage is tilted towards older houses/older ownership, with more equity.

In short, Boston as a housing market is a much milder (low beta) market than say LA. People here hold houses for longer, doesn't flip as much as in other states in boomtime, income are better protected, so you don't hit jackpot in housing market like you do in LA/Florida but you avoid a total bust as well, since not a lot of people (at least in neighborhood you want to live in) are forced to sell. It also leads to less market volume, slower price discovery, etc. Generally a more "sticky" market and a longer waiting game.

LA rose 63% from 2003 to peak. BOS rose 18% from 2003 to peak. Both has come down to 2002-2003 price level.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:

#2 - There is a big professor/doctor community in Boston compared to other metro cities, which is defensive in nature. You can compare the top 100 employer to see that. Thus you have less 20mil+ mansion compared to Los Angeles since we have less super rich, but you have a tier of 1-3mil house supported by tenured/protected income stream of 250K+ every year.

I know some professors make $250k/yr but most won't make more than $100k - $150k, and even that would be in select fields. I don't think they're pushing up prices much. I think doctors, lawyers, and finance professionals have a much bigger impact.

CL wrote:

People here hold houses for longer, doesn't flip as much as in other states in boomtime, income are better protected, so you don't hit jackpot in housing market like you do in LA/Florida but you avoid a total bust as well, since not a lot of people (at least in neighborhood you want to live in) are forced to sell. It also leads to less market volume, slower price discovery, etc. Generally a more "sticky" market and a longer waiting game.

I don't think I agree that people hold houses longer here. Take a look at MLS listings of townhouses and 3/4 br houses under $500k in the 128 belt and you'll see that most people hold those places for 2-5 years, with 2 not being as uncommon as you would think it should be even today. I think the big difference is that Bostoners didn't use creative financing to purchase their houses but the margin for new buyers is still higher than ever, resulting in a lot of people trapped in their houses. Being a recourse state, they don't want to move, which constrains supply, and with near the highest unemployment benefits in the nation, people aren't compelled to move. We also have a large supply of recent graduates who seem to be willing to take any piece of junk at any price so long as the bank will approve the loan. A city like Boston will feel a lot of pain when interest rates rise because new buyers won't be able to support the same prices as before combined with the lack of equity growth that existed in the past to support those higher end homes.
CL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 - professors do earn a lot, especially those with specialized fields. Tenured income from university is one of the income source, but let's not forget consultings and side projects. And you may also have patents if you are in tech. All those income streams are pretty defensive. I don't think they push up the price, but they do buffer the fall and constrain supply since they typically have no reason to firesale and seldom relocate.

When I say people hold house longer, I mean they are fewer flippers in Boston, those who holds house 1-2 months.

I don't think the housing prices will necessarily fall a lot, due to constrained supply and some rather stable appeal. What I do think is the high prices will start driving people (who are mobile enough to move) away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.