bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Bottom Hit 9 months ago....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjrmmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Bottom Hit 9 months ago.... Reply with quote

Based on new home permits and the actual building of home on the south shore, I can confidently say the worst of it is over folks. My town went almost 3 years with less than 2 new homes per year. In the last 9 month building is booming again. Houses seem to be going up in the surrounding towns too.... Now its not at the level of the peak, but prices have creeped up a bit as the subdivision lots sell down.

I have no idea what affect this has on the general market but its good to see people working again and subdivisions getting finished.

Just my 2 cents!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Bottom Hit 9 months ago.... Reply with quote

wjrmmer wrote:
Based on new home permits and the actual building of home on the south shore, I can confidently say the worst of it is over folks. My town went almost 3 years with less than 2 new homes per year. In the last 9 month building is booming again.

I think that this is just a result of the introduction of the first time home buyer tax credit, not the manifestation of a bottom. In fact, even The Massachusetts Association of Realtors, a group more eager than most to call a bottom, attributed the recent "improvement" in prices (i.e., declines that aren't as steep usual) and increase in sales volume to the home buyer tax credit:
Quote:

"We really feel that the past three months of positive home sales are a result of the $8,000 tax credit and its impending expiration date," said MAR President Gary Rogers, a broker with RE/MAX First Realty in Waltham. "Despite this bump, we are concerned that it will take longer and be more difficult for the market to stabilize without extending the Federal tax credit for homebuyers past the December 1 deadline."

There's also other evidence that the recent numbers represent increasing government life support, not a bottom nor stabilization. The tiered S&P/Case-Shiller Index for Boston is pretty strong evidence. See the second half of this post for details:

http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2415

- admin
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with admin (even though i just bought a sfh), and my two cents are that this is yet another false bottom, and when all the "Cash-for-anything-to-prop-up-the-housing-market" starts to get phased out and fed stops artificially keeping rates low, then prices will go down some more. i'm guessing they'll start phasing all that out in two years. rates probably sooner.

just as a curiosity, what type of housing is getting built in your area? condos/townhouses, sfh, 55+? and how big are they? mcmansions or 2 beds and smaller? i've heard/read that there is quite a bit of 55+ communities being built on the south shore.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:
i agree with admin (even though i just bought a sfh), and my two cents are that this is yet another false bottom, and when all the "Cash-for-anything-to-prop-up-the-housing-market" starts to get phased out and fed stops artificially keeping rates low, then prices will go down some more. i'm guessing they'll start phasing all that out in two years. rates probably sooner.

Here's another thing to consider: what if the ostensibly stable housing market isn't due to just the presence of government life support but the fact that the support has been increasing? That distorts year over year numbers in additional ways that old support (like the mortgage interest deduction) doesn't, both purely mathematically and psychologically. We may not even need to wait for the support to be withdrawn for this to be shown as a false bottom, just for the support to stop increasing on a year over year basis.

- admin
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's another thing to consider: what if the ostensibly stable housing market isn't due to just the presence of government life support but the fact that the support has been increasing?

Possibly. But don't you think that once it starts to decrease that there will be people rushing to buy, as the gov. is indicating that there isn't any more punch in the kitchen to fill up the bowl at the party? Honestly, i'm shocked that there has been such an up-tick around here due to the $8K FTHB tax credit, where $8000 might get you a few appliances and a paint job, but definitely not a kitchen remodel. UNLESS you do a majority of the work yourself.

I think the new stimulus plan, "cash-for-caulking" could REALLY have an impact on housing prices around here, because of the generally old and poor condition of so many homes. and based on the uptick we've seen for the $8k FTHB credit, we'll probably see an even bigger bounce this spring than spring 2009 since it raised the income limits and allows current home buyers to qualify.

It is kinda like they are TRYING to be like Japan circa 1992, even though we can see how well that has worked out.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:

Possibly. But don't you think that once it starts to decrease that there will be people rushing to buy, as the gov. is indicating that there isn't any more punch in the kitchen to fill up the bowl at the party?

That indication would only come if they started to rein the tax credit back in. I think we both agree that the market will take a hit after they put actions to their words. What I was talking about is if they never actually move to pull the punch bowl away and simply stop increasing the size of the bowl. That wouldn't create a rush. Also, my hunch, and I have no data to back this up, is that many of those who could be tricked into rushing were already tricked by the version of the credit that just expired.

melonrightcoast wrote:

Honestly, i'm shocked that there has been such an up-tick around here due to the $8K FTHB tax credit, where $8000 might get you a few appliances and a paint job, but definitely not a kitchen remodel. UNLESS you do a majority of the work yourself.

I fear it's not about appliances or paint jobs but down payments. FHA loans require what - a 3% down payment? $8,000 is practically the full down payment for a Massachusetts home near the median. (Maybe the requirement is slightly higher than 3%, but not by much.) The tax credit is bringing buyers to the market who would not be able to buy otherwise. It's a frightening fix for the economy given that the current recession was originally brought on by lax lending to people who wouldn't have normally been able to buy. (It's more of a "fix" in the drug sense of the word.)

melonrightcoast wrote:

I think the new stimulus plan, "cash-for-caulking" could REALLY have an impact on housing prices around here, because of the generally old and poor condition of so many homes. and based on the uptick we've seen for the $8k FTHB credit, we'll probably see an even bigger bounce this spring than spring 2009 since it raised the income limits and allows current home buyers to qualify.

That's interesting. You make a good point - weatherizing the old homes around here should be quite beneficial to home values given the age of the stock. However, I don't think that the FTHB credit had the impact that it did due to an effect on values but rather by artificially inflating the pool of potential buyers, creating a sense of urgency, and of course because it was $8K in free (sort of) cash. My point is, the effect of the FTHB could dwarf the effect of cash-for-caulkers in terms of short term price impact even though cash-for-caulkers would add more actual value.

- admin
mpr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would all be quite a convincing argument (that a true bottom
hasn't been reached etc) based on fundamentals. The problem (well
actually its not really a problem - but thats another topic) is that
you're betting against the Feds who can print infinite amounts of
money and have shown a clear willingness to do so - both
monetarily and fiscally.

In fact the main lesson that's been learnt from Japan is that
one shouldn't stop printing and spending too soon.

It wont be necessary to have ever increasing goverment stimuli because
eventually inflation will take care of everything. I think
future *real* price drops are more likely than future nominal price
drops. Since your mortgage is in nominal dollars this is much less
of a problem to potential buyers/owners.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying, just phrased my analogy poorly. I think that people WOULD notice when the Gov. stops increasing the housing incentives, but will that make them jump in or stay renting? I think jump in, because first-time home-buyers have incurred a lot of debt from college, it will take them a long time to save $8K, so they'll take what they can get for "free". When the Gov. stops increasing the housing incentives, will that effect your decision to jump in and be a homeowner, or not?

When they stop increasing the incentives, then maybe that will be the new norm, like 30-year mortgages became normal after the Depression, but 5-year mortgages were the norm before that (I don't remember where i read that). I'm surprised that hasn't happened more, moving to 35, 40 and 50 year mortgages. I read on a Canadian blog a few months ago that mortgages there are now 35 years. NOT that I think 35, or 50 year mortgages are a good thing, but it is a "solution" that has been used in the past and by others.

Regarding FHA, is there any way to find out how many houses are purchased through the FHA program for a particular town or county? Assuming that properties purchased for less than 5% down are FHA, I don't see them that often in Acton. Even the homes bought for $300K typically have 10 - 20% down ... not that I look up every closed property Razz. But you do make a good point that the $8K FTHB credit is likely borrowing demand from the future, especially in the lower end where people are using it as part of their down payment.

And I agree that the FTHB credit, especially the new new "upgraded" version, will likely dwarf the "cash-for-caulkers" program. I think the $6500 that homeowners can claim will really juice things up this spring. Once the Gov. sees that, they won't want to end it. They gotta make sure the banks are still making plenty of money, after all. Rolling Eyes The "cash-for-caulkers" program could do a lot of good in the Boston area: providing work for tradespeople, saving homeowners money on utility bills, and improving the quality of housing. Buyers that are willing and able to do some "sweat equity", like Brian C., could get part of the improvements paid for. Because it provides lasting benefits by IMPROVING housing, i think it is a much better program than the FTHB credit. We'll see if Congress agrees, as I don't think it has passed yet.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This would all be quite a convincing argument (that a true bottom
hasn't been reached etc) based on fundamentals. The problem (well
actually its not really a problem - but thats another topic) is that
you're betting against the Feds who can print infinite amounts of
money and have shown a clear willingness to do so - both
monetarily and fiscally.

OK, by "bottom" I meant mathematically local minimum in real housing prices. I think you're talking about nominal prices here, in which case I would agree with you. I am primarily concerned about the bottom in inflation adjusted prices for my own use, though.

Quote:

It wont be necessary to have ever increasing goverment stimuli because
eventually inflation will take care of everything. I think
future *real* price drops are more likely than future nominal price
drops. Since your mortgage is in nominal dollars this is much less
of a problem to potential buyers/owners.

It is still a problem, though. Higher inflation will lead to higher interest rates which will lead to lower real housing prices and lower housing prices as a percentage of income.

Quote:

I hear what you are saying, just phrased my analogy poorly. I think that people WOULD notice when the Gov. stops increasing the housing incentives, but will that make them jump in or stay renting? I think jump in, because first-time home-buyers have incurred a lot of debt from college, it will take them a long time to save $8K, so they'll take what they can get for "free".

I disagree and think you are giving the general public way too much credit. They treated the tax credit that just expired as if it were brand spanking new (it wasn't) and a one time opportunity that they had to get in on before it was gone (they didn't). I doubt most people could list all of the extensions and expansions that the credit has gone through. I don't think it has clicked with most people that it keeps getting extended and expanded. Otherwise, why would people have rushed to buy with the iteration that just expired if they expected bigger and better iterations to come afterward?

Quote:

When the Gov. stops increasing the housing incentives, will that effect your decision to jump in and be a homeowner, or not?

Well, that depends on how big the incentives have grown at that point and how much of the incentive, if any, would actually benefit me. Even without the side effects that I mentioned earlier, sellers would capture most of the credit by raising their prices higher than they otherwise would have been. The side effects of increased demand and competition would probably make the net benefit negative. If I knew that the government was going to stop with the increases soon, it probably would affect my decision - it would probably make me wait since I would be better off buying without the artificially heightened demand and competition.

Quote:

The "cash-for-caulkers" program could do a lot of good in the Boston area: providing work for tradespeople, saving homeowners money on utility bills, and improving the quality of housing. Buyers that are willing and able to do some "sweat equity", like Brian C., could get part of the improvements paid for. Because it provides lasting benefits by IMPROVING housing, i think it is a much better program than the FTHB credit.

Yes, I'm hating it way less than the home buyer tax credit (which is no longer just FT, by the way). It borders on sounding like a decent idea, on the surface anyway (I don't know too much about it yet).

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet on something unpredictable. The jobless rate is still in question. Most of the so-called hiring is temporary and part time workers, who can get laid off in a second. There are still layoffs happnening. The reserts are still upon us within the next 2 years, and the government is still spending money with no end in sight, and in fact, no effect in sight. MA is a small part of the market and it is not isolated fromt he rest. When CA goes under, expect the ripple effect to do more damage. You can't bail out something that does not generate any revenue. This is the best recipe for a disaster.
CL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mpr - given the tremendous exposure the government has to real estate (both in terms of Freddie/Fannie and tax income), I find it very hard to believe government stopping/slowing down the support of the market until it is very clearly it can stand on its own. If anything, government will probably err on the safe side and withdraw support a bit too late rather than too early.

And I disagree with people who thinks government stimulus action has to end someday (probably soon). It does not has to be. Just look at how long mortgage interest tax deduction exist. If you look at past government action and recent 8K tax credit, one thing is very clear - once the government gives out something good and that has that broad an impact, it's very, very hard for politicians to say "No, we should stop now".

The result should be a too-monetary-easy environment prompting inflation and hurting dollars. But as mpr said, most of the homeowners are leverage which means inflation is not a bad thing (asset price inflate while debt nominal level stay the same)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:

And I disagree with people who thinks government stimulus action has to end someday (probably soon). It does not has to be. Just look at how long mortgage interest tax deduction exist.

You're right, the handouts could become permanent, but my point was that the increases will have to end and that it may very well be the increases which are having the most impact on home sales.

CL wrote:

But as mpr said, most of the homeowners are leverage which means inflation is not a bad thing (asset price inflate while debt nominal level stay the same)

I don't think that you can assume that inflation will necessarily cause increases in nominal housing prices, at least not until a lot of inflation has accumulated. Housing prices right now are completely dependent on abnormally low interest rates. If rates returned to even just their historical average, that would put strong downward pressure on prices. Higher inflation will lead to higher interest rates, and thus lower prices, at least in real terms, and possibly in nominal terms too. It's a risky bet to bank on inflation being so high that upward price pressure on houses will exceed the downward pressure from higher interest rates combined with the downward pressure of real prices still being too high all the while assuming your income will keep pace with inflation and not be affected by an unstable job market.

And for those with an above average down payment, inflation is a bad thing in all scenarios, due to the opportunity cost. I realize you weren't talking about those people, though.

- admin
CL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I do agree the increase in stimulus impact sales, and the deceleration of it will also have a potential large negative impact. What I do expect, however, given how important housing is to the government, is that stimulus will not decelerate (or at least government will try to avoid sending this signal to the market) until the market is ready. Since if there is a another housing crash, the biggest loser will probably be US government (in the form of bailing out GSEs). One can doubt their stimulus effectiveness, but I will not doubt their willingness (given cold cash for buyer is pretty aggressive and it shows how far the government will go to prop up the market).

- Rate is a very tricky discussion - the relationship between leverage, inflation and rate is not as clean as the logic dictates, since it's not only the current rate (driving availability of credit) but also the long term expectation (driving future value of asset) that matters. I have to admit I am no expert on this. But I do think Fed in large part drive the current rate and rate expectation. And I fear Fed will be less independent and the political pressure on them to act as congress please will get higher.

Now you know I am cynical. =P
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree and think you are giving the general public way too much credit.

LOL! Yes, I probably am giving the general public way too much credit, as this is the same group of people that thought their $50K salary could support a $500K mortgage, because the mortgage guy behind the desk said it would.

Quote:
They treated the tax credit that just expired as if it were brand spanking new (it wasn't) and a one time opportunity that they had to get in on before it was gone (they didn't). I doubt most people could list all of the extensions and expansions that the credit has gone through. I don't think it has clicked with most people that it keeps getting extended and expanded. Otherwise, why would people have rushed to buy with the iteration that just expired if they expected bigger and better iterations to come afterward?

2008's version was a loan to FTHB, 2009's was free money to FTHB and 2010's version is free money to FTHB and homesellers. Something about "free money" seems to get people to sit up and pay attention, so I think more people are paying attention than you think. And I'll bet the people that do remember ALL the increases are the people that bought in 2008 and got screwed because they have to pay back their money, but buyers in 2009 and 2010 do not. FTHBs rushed in because they were told it is going away, but now that there is an upward pattern established, one would think that people wouldn't rush in as much. BUT, the "free money" thing really changes the dynamic of people's decisions.

I'm sure their will be a few economic dissertations written about the psychology of consumers regarding the FTHB (and now homeseller) credits.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008's version actually had some "free money" in it too, just not as much and in a less easier to understand format. That is, it was an interest free loan, so the free money was the interest savings.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.