bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Housing Outlook 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Housing Outlook 2010 Reply with quote

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/08/real_estate/housing_outlook.fortune/

Looks like Boston/Cambridge are bearish again. What's got me surprised is that Bridgeport CT is more expensive than here Confused ? How could that be? Last I'd checked, that place was dumpy and reasonably dangerous.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Austin and Houston are looking great Very Happy !

That's definitely on my radar for my next career move. Nostalgia's wearing thin, people around me are not doing well financially and jobs aren't coming back to MA in mass. Perhaps I need to befriend more hedge fund types than tech workers Wink
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Carolina is also looking very interesting. It is similar to Texas in many respects but doesn't have the brutally hot weather (some people like it but not me). Seems to have a better job market for tech workers right now than Austin but I think Austin may have more startups.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas also has Houston which is a megapolis and that wouldn't be a bad place to be, given the fact that one may need to job hop, every five years or so. And then Dallas and Austin aren't exactly that far away if the job market disperses a bit. The Raleigh-Durham-C.H. network is still kinda a big college town suburbia than a major metropolitan area.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like everything about Texas except for the weather but most Texans like Houston the least. It doesn't have the tech job market that Austin. I guess it depends on what type of job you want. I don't like jobs where I'm considered support staff.

Unless you go by NYC commute standards (where 3 hours is an acceptable drive), Austin and Dallas definitely "are that far away". They are both a 3.5-4 hour drive away. Ok for a weekend trip. Less so for a job. My ranking would be: Austin, Dallas, and then Houston.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are both a 3.5-4 hour drive away

I was more thinking in terms of contracting where in effect, one can own the house in Houston and then perhaps sublet it, from time to time, contract at either Austin or Dallas, renting a one bedroom or studio for those stints w/o it breaking the bank, like it would for anyone buying a home in Boston.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point but that benefit really applies to any low cost of living area (NC for example).
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it this way, the reason why so many people live between New Haven CT and Washington DC is the general urban densities of the regions are where half the companies of the eastern USA are located, nevermind the ever present influences of Wall St and the Beltway.

Likewise, metaphorically speaking, Texas is similar for the Gulf/Southwest in that there are general urban densities, all within striking distances of one another with no local tax overhead so that in effect, it has a similar business magnet force much like the northeast corridor had for much for the past century. Today, the northeast is a tax/real estate disaster area, no longer a place for a business to make long term plans. As soon as a MIT/Harvard breeder is up, it immediately partners overboard and leaves the region instead of adding to it except for a Kendall mail stop (plus alumni gathering).
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with no local tax overhead

I was looking into moving to Austin a couple of years ago, and was surprised at how high the property taxes were for residential properties, given that Texas has a low-tax reputation. I realize you may not have been referring to the residential taxes when you were talking about local tax overhead, but I thought I'd share my info anyway.

I lived west of Philadelphia for about a year and was shocked that not only did they have state income taxes, but that local municipalities were allowed to collect income taxes. It was something strange like local income taxes were capped at 2.5%, and if the county you lived in only collected 1%, then the town you lived in could collect the rest. And if the town only collected 1% (for a total of 2%), and if you happened to work in a different county or town, then that county or town could collect the remaining 0.5%.

I grew up in Idaho, where the sales tax is 6% on EVERYTHING, including food. And residential property taxes are very high. I was having a conversation with my aunt a few years ago and was shocked that she paid the same amount in property taxes per year on her home in small-mining-town-Idaho as I did on my two-family in Arlington, but her home was valued at a 1/3 of what my two-family was valued at. Idaho also has income taxes on a sliding scale, up to 7.8%!

And don't even get me started on how high taxes are in CA...

My point with all this is that taxes in MA are not really that high compared with other places. However, EVERYTHING else is very expensive relative to other parts of the country: food and dining, home maintenance ($90/hr for a plumber!!!!), home renovations, entertainment, air fare, childcare, auto repair, etc.

So instead of ranting and raving about taxes, rant and rave about how plumbers, carpenters, etc. make A LOT more money than most college educated people with several years of experience.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

melonrightcoast - can you provide some actual figures? I know that as a percentage the taxes are higher there but that's also a reflection of lower house prices. I wonder if the total amount is similar. Considering that the cost of almost everything else is lower in Texas, then I'd say your getting a lot for your money. Maybe that's part of the reason why the roads are better down there and why the typical schools are also better (comparing, say, Dorchester and Roxbory schools, where more than half the residents of Boston live, to the typical schools in Austin). High taxes also discourages real estate bubbles. People there get angry when their home prices go up.

I agree with you that taxes are not really the issue though. TX has a high sales tax too by the way of about 8%. I think you can roughly boil it down the growth friendly policies. The population grows by 3% a year and the cities there grow to accommodate at least that amount. But more specifically: negative profers (cities pay for infrastructure to attract business), constant expansion of land, lack of unions and other historical baggage, centralized government (ineffective squabbling among residents), no historical baggage, emphasis on greater good (eminent domain not a problem there) / constant attention to reducing cost of living, city planning (does Boston even have planners?), expectation of change (generally positive down there), and emphasis on big business.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I forgot to specifically highlight debt in the historical baggage. MA has one of the highest debts per capita and that comes out of your taxes.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go balor:

the numbers i referenced for idaho, i got from here http://tax.idaho.gov/p-individuals.cfm, as I was pretty sure rates had changed since i last lived there over thirteen years ago.

regarding austin property taxes:
http://www.austin-chamber.org/DoBusiness/TaxesAndIncentives/TxProperty.html

i remembered "looking" at a property (on realtor.com) with taxes at about $10,000 and the house was listed at $450K, or something like that. that list of tax rates supports that. granted, you could pay much less than $450K in Austin and afford to send your kids to private schools if your school district was poor. the property tax rate is not what made us disqualify Austin, it was more my husband being concerned about having quality job opportunities. from my research, living expenses were generally MUCH lower in Austin. childcare sticks out in my memory as being less than half the cost of what it would be in the Boston area (not joking).

Quote:
...other historical baggage...

yes, this is definitely part of the difference in New England/North East and most of the rest of the country, as most towns and roads were built centuries ago ... to accomodate horses and much fewer people. out west (i've never lived in tx, but id and ca), old buildings are usually just that to most people: old and expensive to maintain, so they tear them down. here, most people (and very vocal historical commissions) won't stand for old buildings, let along entire neighborhoods, to be razed, so we all drive around on what used to be small country roads, even within a few miles of Boston ... and even in Boston! LOL! it is part of the charm and what i like about it here, but I can see how it would drive some people crazy. personally, i'll take these small old road any day over miles and miles of "new development" that is essentially everything looking like Rt. 1 north of Boston and Rt. 9 west of 128.

whenever we visit my in-laws in interior British Columbia, we are dismayed by the rampant development, with acres and acres of parking lots and rows of traffic lights... it looks absolutely horrible! i think these are the towns and cities that have leaders with no vision and no idea how to create new neighborhoods, only new tax revenue and low-paying retail jobs with no other regard to the quality of life for it's citizens now and in the future. so we moved back here because we prefer it here on so many levels. i think it would be good for EVERYONE in the US to live somewhere else in this country for a few years: it will help people relate to other regions AND it will help them appreciate the things they take for granted where they are from. just MHO Laughing
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it would be good for EVERYONE in the US to live somewhere else in this country for a few years: it will help people relate to other regions AND it will help them appreciate the things they take for granted where they are from.

My problem with the above is that most other places, sans that Northern VT area, always feels like a business trip, never a second home away from home. Thus, despite having been nearly everywhere, I've stayed put.

I believe this is part of the reason why I'd never understood Silicon Valley. It's a region of office sprawls, strip malls, restaurants, hotels, and highways. I don't see how it compares to metro Boston because even our sparse meeting places around Kendall/Central, Back Bay/Fens, and Rte 128 feel more like a community than a bunch of silos in and out Palo Alto-Stanford to Santa Clara. So my guess is that the Valley residents are basically content being shackled to an office park provided there are nearby shopping facilities. I guess it's a Middlesex Turnpike extraordinaire.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the numbers. I think part of the reason why it appears cheaper is that Boston taxes businesses more to make up for it (take the recent hotel tax hike in Waltham as an example to avoid raising property taxes). That cost is passed to you indirectly through the cost of your goods and loss of jobs. You are right that it does seem like it could be much more expensive there.

Below I examined a few scenarios to get a better idea. Let's compare what it costs to get into the best school districts in both cities. Let's suppose that Wellesley has the best district here and Eanes in Austin.

You can get a newish townhome for $490k in Wellesley today which has taxes of $4.7k/year. You can get a comparable newish townhome in Eanes for $310k which has taxes of $4.6k.

Now let's look at homes. It's hard to find comparable homes between the two because they have different stock. You have a lot of "older" but still nice homes (1980s) for $350k - $400k in this area, which is what I would buy. Wellesley has some much older (1950s) not so nice homes (often on bad streets) for $500k - $700k, which I wouldn't live in (1980 is the oldest I'll go). One of the $350k homes has taxes of $7.2k. A comparable home in Wellesley runs about $630k and has taxes of $6.6k. A nicer home in Wellesley costs about $800k and has taxes of $6.8k, though I think Redfin may have this wrong. A nicer home in Austin costs $550k and has taxes of $12.5k. So it seems that in Austin a premium home ($450k+) has higher real estate taxes than here but below that threshold they are comparable.

Of course there are the other factors that you mentioned. Plumbers here charge $90/hr while there they might be $30/hr. The best daycare in San Antonio (JCC) charges $1k/mo while Bright Horizons (JCC doesn't even offer here) charges $2.2k/mo. And nights/weekends are much cheaper there as well since my parents live only 60 miles away Very Happy Healthcare is also cheaper there but harder to quantify. Gas there runs about 10% - 20% less than here, insurance is similarly discounted. You also generally drive less to get things there than you do here (Target is 20min away here, 5min typical in TX). Groceries cost about 1/2 as much as here (not kidding!) and I'm comparing against the crummy Hannaford in Waltham, not the nice (only) supermarket in Wellesley. A cleaning from a maid runs about $100 here I think and maybe $30 there, though the maid here will speak English. There's no tolls there but sales tax is somewhat higher at ~8% vs ~6%. Short term capital gains tax of ~12% here and none there. Parking runs about $3/day at the airport there vs $16/day here (and you have to take a shuttle). Car maintainance and repair runs about half what it does here and cars last a lot longer there. That's probably enough - just wanted to provide some actual figures of the costs of various things.

Austin doesn't have the same size job market as Boston but the opportunities per person are greater I think (in other words, we have a lot more jobs but relatively more people fighting for them and perhaps a better pool of people to compete with). The market there also seems to be more diverse than Boston as it is now centered primarily around software. Boston has more startups by far but again only in certain areas and Austin isn't devoid of them. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make though as with a lower cost of living I wouldn't worry about short periods of unemployment like I do here.

If you don't think that old poorly maintained and designed houses and roads are "charm", then Boston will drive you crazy. I guess I'm like Bush - I want to bulldoze over the trees and replace them with parking lots Razz I agree that North Boston development is hideous but not all new development is like that. I also agree with you that you should live somewhere else in the US at some point. My place was Boston and I now appreciate why I should have stayed in Texas Smile Only problem is once you move elsewhere it can be very hard to move back.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:02 pm GMT    Post subject: TX & ID Reply with quote

Nice analysis! I didn't know you were from TX Smile. I've only visited Dallas, but knew several people that lived in Austin and loved it. And if you have family there and now have a child, then the pull to go back can be quite strong (from personal experience). We moved back west for a couple years ... but then moved back to MA for many various reasons.

Quote:
Only problem is once you move elsewhere it can be very hard to move back.

My husband found this to be true professionally when we moved back to CA, as the many contacts he does have in the Bay Area are mostly personal contacts that did not work in his current industry. He interviewed with several start-ups, but the general trend was that the start-ups would pay for developers, but the higher-ups worked for stock options since so many of them had made $$$$ from the dot com/google/stock bubble. Of course, it would have been nice to be in a position to work for no salary... Rolling Eyes

As for cost of living comparison to Boston area and Austin area, I wouldn't be surprised if it penciled out to one would be paying 20-30% more in taxes, but other daily expenses cost 30-50% less. The other factor is how much are salaries down there? The little research my husband did (in 2007) was that salaries were about 15-25% less than Boston area. Do you know how accurate that is?

I came across this web-site about Idaho when I was searching for tax info and was irritated and laughing about this site:

http://www.visitidaho.org/about/relocation.aspx

It touts how fabulously inexpensive it is to live there and how fabulously beautiful and rugged it is there (both very true), but declines to mention that unless you move to Boise, you will be lucky to find a job, and if you do, it will pay so little money you'll want to cry.

I do miss those rugged mountains and trout creeks, though ... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.