bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

The Redfin blog is pretty good!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: The Redfin blog is pretty good! Reply with quote

I clicked a link to the Redfin blog, and expected to see some useless realtor spin. Instead I found some useful commentary and charts about the latest Case Shiller numbers for Boston.

http://blog.redfin.com/boston/2009/09/case-shiller_simultaneous_summer_surge_stretches_on.html?src=alerts
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have posts each month highlighting the neighborhoods where homes sold at the biggest discount and the neighborhoods with the greatest price reductions. That just strikes me as far more friendly to buyers than the typical cherry picking of pockets where prices went up. As a potential buyer, lower prices are good - it's a simple concept, but it's amazingly rare to hear it from the salesmen.

I wish they had graphed out the tiered indexes for Boston in the post that you linked to because it totally supports their point about the $8K tax credit distorting the market. I've got it covered, though:

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
They also have posts each month highlighting the neighborhoods where homes sold at the biggest discount and the neighborhoods with the greatest price reductions. That just strikes me as far more friendly to buyers than the typical cherry picking of pockets where prices went up. As a potential buyer, lower prices are good - it's a simple concept, but it's amazingly rare to hear it from the salesmen.

That's because they know most buyers consider a house a investment and not a place to live. You buy things you need when they go on sale. You generally wouldn't want to buy investments that have gone down in value (value investors are selective about what they purchase). Typical buyer doesn't know how to estimate the future potential growth for a property except by Newton's law of motion, that what goes up must continue to go up, which is essentially momentum investing which is known to cause bubbles and for investments is a terrible indicator of future performance. Hence, unless buyers either start to treat housing like a place to live or become more sophisticated investors, both unlikely,
then we are doomed to continue with an inflated cost of living in this country and future booms and busts in real estate. Sadly, not much the rest of us can do except do the opposite of what is typically advised and what you would do when buying anything else for utilitly value - buy as little house as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
They also have posts each month highlighting the neighborhoods where homes sold at the biggest discount and the neighborhoods with the greatest price reductions.
- admin

That sure is nice, except when the data is completely wrong:

http://forums.redfin.com/rf/board/message?board.id=Boston&thread.id=1197
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

That sure is nice, except when the data is completely wrong:

That's interesting. The complaint seems to be that their monthly blog post for August listed Wayland as being discounted by 8.7% but that their larger list of Boston neighborhoods listed Wayland as being discounted by 3.9% (that stat is now empty, as of this writing). I thought at first that it was probably just a difference in the time period covered, but looking at their page specifically for Wayland, scrolling down to the "Wayland Market Trends" chart, and selecting just sale-to-list % does produce contradictory results. Perhaps their monthly blog only uses the list price of homes that actually sold whereas the "Market Trends" chart uses the list price for all offered properties. I'll ask.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

I'll ask.

My comment is awaiting moderation. Here it is just in case they don't notice it:

Quote:

Someone in your forums asked a question about this post which I’m curious about now too:

http://forums.redfin.com/rf/board/message?board.id=Boston&thread.id=1197

You have Wayland listed above as having an 8.7% discount, but if you go to your page for just Wayland at http://www.redfin.com/city/29624/MA/Wayland , scroll down to the “Wayland Market Trends” chart, select just sale-to-list %, and adjust the time frame to clearly show July, the sale-to-list % is above 96.5% for the whole month. Where’s the difference coming from? Is this blog post only using the list price for homes that sold while the chart is using the list price for everything offered?

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.