bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Asians and the bubble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Asians and the bubble Reply with quote

Just Curious,

During my time spent researching home sales I have noticed anecdotal evidence that folks of Asian descent account for many recent sales (post peak), invariably when I see a full asking price sale the surname on the deed is Asian. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Well recently, I've been trying to get my east Asian colleagues to hold off on buying houses. I think the idea is that since real estate is still holding up in their home countries, on the Pacific Rim (& I assume that they're not in tune with collapsing markets in Ireland and Spain), that they have a need to be in synch with their relatives abroad than to be a sort of poor ex-pat in a so-called first tier nation-state. I guess it's a keeping up with the Jones but across diasporas.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: asia Reply with quote

check out this article titled "It's China's Turn to Play" on thehousingbubble.com:

http://thehousingbubbleblog.com/?p=5602

i have also noticed many, many asian (including indian) buyers this buying season, at all price points, and not in just my town. this could be an extension of what this article is saying about REITs and china/india having their own bubbles, like japan circa 1989.
john p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with two awesome guys from Korea. One of the guys said that they actually have "education inflation" in Korea, meaning that people with college degrees are doing custodial work because there isn't enough professional work to go around. I guess you have to compare our issues with theirs...
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Pew report :

http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=109

Asians saw the largest increase of home ownership during the 1995-2008 years which would explain more buyers. I guess what I find puzzling is the "at any price" purchases, perhaps folks witnessed relatives making a killing early on and still believe real estate only goes up....
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 20% of Quincy populated with Asian, houses in areas where other Asian families live are selling for asking or 5% off. I looked at a beautiful tutor for $380k in the well known Asian area and it sold right away for $378k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.