bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Tighter Mortgage Rules Exclude Even Good Risk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Tighter Mortgage Rules Exclude Even Good Risk Reply with quote

Well, as we all know, "Good" is very relative Smile. Still VERY annoying that you still have people and news stories (even the NYtimes) regurgitating the "Renting is a waste of money." mantra ... and without a rebuttal or info on if she was saving money by renting, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/11/business/11housing.html?hp
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first I've heard of this (though it doesn't surprise me in the slightest):

Quote:

Members of Congress are proposing to extend and enlarge an $8,000 credit for first-time buyers, which is due to expire in December. One bill would extend the credit to all buyers through next June. Another would extend it to all buyers through 2010. A third bill would expand it to $15,000 for all buyers.

Some economists, noting that tax incentives helped stoke the boom, say these proposals should be shunned. "When do you decide enough is enough?" said the housing consultant Ivy Zelman. "I don’t want to feed the drug addict with more drugs."

Aren't there better uses for this money that the government is borrowing from our children?

- admin
WestCoastXPlant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:33 pm GMT    Post subject: I call BS on this one Reply with quote

Ooooookkk...good risk...lemme try to summarize the folks in the article

1. A dentist who just finished dental school
2. A real estate investor

Sorry, two years of steady income isn't that crazy of a thing to ask, is it? They make a point about entrepreneurs being used to risks, but I don't blame the bank for not wanting the downside of that risk. The dude is a real estate investor but has no steady income and only 30K in downpayment -- no sir, I wouldn't make that loan either.

As to the dentist, just cause she was able to pay for dental school doesn't mean she's any good at that art...I remember the kids coming out of college to a big tech company, living with two roommates and buying that "investment" condo after saving for 6 months...guess what happens after the first round of layoffs -- new kids and oldest (highest paid) folk are first to go...sad but true.

I'll believe this article when I see someone with 10-15% down and steady income/good credit rejected. That would be the time when 20% down is back and prices will be far far down....

As to the buyer credit, if they're really trying to help the coastal markets, the income limit is complete BS IMO...I just don't understand who can qualify for it and buy in the more expensive areas (excluding cases of large downpayment through gift/inheritance)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thought... if lending truly has become over conservative and "good" risks are being unnecessarily turned down, why don't the people complaining about it lend the money out themselves? Surely this signals a great investment opportunity if the market is setting the price for borrowing unnaturally high. Why don't they plow their freed up down payment and retirement savings into mortgage backed securities? How many of the politicians who still push for looser lending (Frank, et al) would put their own retirement savings into non-government guaranteed mortgage backed securities?

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want to help the coasts, then they should further restrict borrowing. These communities have milked the federal government for too long. These incentives don't increase affordability. They just enrich those who already own property and make those who don't have to do even more crazy things to avoid getting priced out. They should lower the limits on higher cost of living parts of the country to force those communities to focus on affordability, which helps make America more competitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.