bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Brief: The Real Story for MA - Feb 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BelmontRenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Public Schools Reply with quote

soldatthetop wrote:
I hate to break it to you all... truly educated parents would not want to send their kids to any public school.

I guess I have not gotten the "true" eduction.

Oh wait, I have. My s.o.'s children attended a very well-known Cambridge K-8 private school, and one of them now attends a very well-known private high school in the area. I've been in those schools during classtime.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj wrote:
This is my criteria for the bottom: I figure out what the property sold for in the late 90s and then compound that number by 4.5% per year (2% plus an average 2.5% inflation over the period). In some cases properties are coming close to this number.

I like that criteria. I would buy a house that met it. In Norfork county, I estimate that we need another 15% (off asking prices) to get there. Selling prices are probably getting close, but those are more difficult to track.

Does anybody see any major flaws in using this criteria when making offers?
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myth: You will always get atleast 'inflation' if you stay in a house long enough...

I'm going to start collecting these. When there are no buyers, prices go down as low as the market allows. We are in (mostly) free markets. Even with government interference (which for all intents and purposes can be assumed to make the matters WORSE, and almost never better, unless its an 'unintended' consequence they simply did not anticipate), offering price is what you are willing to pay for a given house, and should never be anything but your own financial situation reduced down to what you can afford to pay. If everybody followed THAT formula, we would have a better agreement between sellers and buyers. In other words, lowballing is a good thing to do in a down market. This may not work when there are plenty of buyers, but when there aren't - the market will allow the spreads to be much larger, so there may be much better deals than the statistics may suggest.

Will there be people overpaying? Of course. Will there be bidding on several good deals? Of course! Is there a lack of good inventory at prices below the current median in many places? Of course. Will this last forever? Nobody knows, but as inventory/foreclosures pick up and the number of buyers remains low, let's see what will be available then, but the offer is always the same: you can afford X - bid X, just like on ebay. If the market supports higher price, you will be outbid. Otherwise, you will win. Keep bidding X until you get what you want. Pure and simple - this will never fail you.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

offering price is what you are willing to pay for a given house, and should never be anything but your own financial situation reduced down to what you can afford to pay.

Close... what I would say (and what you probably meant implicitly) is that what you can afford should be an upper bound on what you offer. I wouldn't just automatically offer what I can afford. A rundown shack is not worth that to me and I would discount the offer accordingly if I were bidding on anything that wasn't my ideal place.

GenXer wrote:
Myth: You will always get atleast 'inflation' if you stay in a house long enough...

I don't believe that's what the other poster was saying. I think he/she was saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that adjusting the prices from the 1990s for inflation plus minor appreciation would be a way to estimate what prices might have been without the bubble and therefore what might be fair to offer now. It wasn't a prediction of future prices. This would be another upper bound when used to target an offering price. You wouldn't offer more than this or your affordability target, in that case.

- admin
StallionMang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> I figure out what the property sold for in the late 90s and then compound that number by 4.5% per year (2% plus an average 2.5% inflation over the period)

PaperEconomy has a tool which does this for you - http://www.papereconomy.com/Calculator.aspx . Shows nominal and inflation-adjusted.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

StallionMang wrote:
>> I figure out what the property sold for in the late 90s and then compound that number by 4.5% per year (2% plus an average 2.5% inflation over the period)

PaperEconomy has a tool which does this for you - http://www.papereconomy.com/Calculator.aspx . Shows nominal and inflation-adjusted.

Actually, I believe that calculator calculates price appreciation using the S&P/Case-Shiller Index rather than by using an estimate. That seems like it would be very handy at picking out mis-priced houses. It doesn't give you an estimate of where prices might have been without the bubble, though, like the 4.5% appreciation extrapolation would. Also, I think it would be even better to perform the same calculations that the calculator does, except using the tiered versions of the index instead.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All data calculated using the latest S&P/Case-Shiller home price indices. *Future values (if available) reflect the latest settled housing futures contract prices traded at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.

Here's the problem with this calculator in a nutshell. Suppose you were going to buy a Real Estate stock XYZ. It may have some correlation to the Real Estate stock index comprising a 1000 real estate companies. Would you be able to estimate the price of the index over a period of time if you knew what the stock price for XYZ was? No. A single stock will get lost in an index. Would you be able to estimate the value of XYZ over a period of time knowing the price of the index? Again no. In fact, the prices may be correlated at some times and completely uncorrelated at others, and stock XYZ may behave as something completely foreign to the index of Real Estate stocks at times.

The moral is that a single house has nothing to do with an index. It is too heavily influenced by what the owner's situation is, and may have better correlation to his rate of intake of prescription medication than to the Boston price index.

All of the most sophisticated tools in the world will not be able to hide the fact that we have no means of predicting what the prices will be, and our error gets compounded the longer our prediction time scale is. Worse, the prediction depends heavily on initial conditions. If you play with that calculator on Paper Economy you will see that your answers will be wildly different, depending on what you put in (especially if the buy date is far back into the past, say 1972). A calculator like that is worthless. It is only good to illustrate that you can NOT use calculators to make predictions. Another one for my collection of useless calculators.
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That calculator is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong. In Newton, home prices are maybe 10% off peak; in East Boston, they may be 50% off peak.

That calculator takes the average (about 25% off peak) and spits out a number.

Unless you live in the hypothetical average community, it will be wrong.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
That calculator is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong. In Newton, home prices are maybe 10% off peak; in East Boston, they may be 50% off peak.

That calculator takes the average (about 25% off peak) and spits out a number.

Unless you live in the hypothetical average community, it will be wrong.

Right, that's why I think using the tiered indexes would be better. The median in Newton (per The Warren Group) has actually tracked the high tier index quite well. (To be pedantic, it's not technically an average, but your point is valid anyway.)

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Also, I think that the real value of the calculator for a buyer is not in identifying an exact present value but in raising flags. If a seller is asking substantially more than appreciation for the area would justify, then you need to be able to answer "why?"

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 'why' can be answered by a calculator. A number of different events led to a certain price level of an index or of the house. The problem with this calculator is that it requires you to start on an index to begin with. If you are far away from the index, you will get erroneous results. This was my point. You can not use it for anything meaningful at all, unless you know 100% that you have started ON an index to begin with, and even then, I'd still argue it is worse than useless as it generates some random numbers in response to a random input which may or may not reflect anything based on reality, and the problem is, we don't know that its output is related to an actual price of the house.

I still argue that the 'upper bound' is your income times a multiple (which is probably a combination of your 'employed' multiple and an 'unemployed' multiple), or if you will a 25% of your after-tax monthly income, or some such measure which is based on affordability. This is like trying to price a stock - its price is different every day, and there are no fundamental reasons why you need to take the HISTORY of the stock price to price the stock today! Its a fallacy to even consider doing that. Indices can be used to look at what happened before, but today the price of that house is what anybody is willing to pay for it - completely disconnected with the past index price (or the projected future one!). Only in aggregate can the prices be compared to an index, and even then with some caution.

We can invent any imaginable 'reasonable' price we wish, be it the starting price plus inflation, or what have you. Houses are not bonds. They are not guaratneed to produce income. Even though we may not mean that houses give us 'inflation' by using this upper bound approach, we are implicitly assuming it, whether we mean it or not.

The only way to price a house is by making an offer.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
I don't think the 'why' can be answered by a calculator.

I never said it could. I said the calculator can set off a flag to tell you that answering "why" is particularly important for a particular property. It's up to you to figure out why.

GenXer wrote:

A number of different events led to a certain price level of an index or of the house. The problem with this calculator is that it requires you to start on an index to begin with. If you are far away from the index, you will get erroneous results. This was my point. You can not use it for anything meaningful at all, unless you know 100% that you have started ON an index to begin with

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, the price could have deviated from the index at the time of the previous purchase - that's a legitimate start to a possible answer to the "why" that would get raised by the calculator. Also, if the house has had more than one sale during the time period covered by the index, then you can see how well those past sales and the current asking price align with the index and it will be easier to determine which data point is anomalous, if there is one.

By the way, when you said that the end result was sensitive to the initial input especially for dates in the 1970s, I suspect that was because one dollar back then is equal to many more dollars now (due to inflation). I doubt that older dates would introduce substantially more sensitivity than newer dates if you adjust your inputs for inflation beforehand.

GenXer wrote:

The only way to price a house is by making an offer.

No it's not. You can price it by cost of construction. You can price it by comps. You may object that none of these are 100% guaranteed perfect, but nothing ever is, and the more approaches you use, the better picture you get.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people who believe that they can price a company by its balance sheet. This is essentially what you are saying. I'm not arguing with that reasoning. Your price will be different, however, from somebody else's price. This is what makes our markets tick. There is NO objective price for anything. You can build a science on evaluating the balance sheet of companies (which is what Financial industry does), but when the company's stock collapses, you DO throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak - all the fundamental analysis becomes irrelevant, because the price may sometimes 'represents' the actual objective value of a company, but when it does not - the price can be off by a huge amount which is simply what anybody is willing to pay for it. Because we never know when this is the case until we actually try to buy a house, the results of the calculator are meaningless (because we never now when they are right vs. when they are not).

Notice that I'm not arguing about being 100% correct here - I'm trying to point out that a price can be off by a huge amount which may not be apparent from the cost of building a similar house (i.e. the house 'balance sheet'). If you use 10 calculators which provide incorrect outputs, you are not increasing the quality of information. Sometimes it is ok not to rely on any information other than the most objective one - what will somebody pay if this house was sold right now. Unfortunately, you don't see this until the house is actually sold.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
Sometimes it is ok not to rely on any information other than the most objective one - what will somebody pay if this house was sold right now.

That has its place in putting a lower bound on what offering price is worth your while. However, it is the foundation of bubbles and panics when it is the main metric that the majority uses. I would at least compare it to the results of other methods as a check against getting mislead by the herd. (In fact, that's why this site exists.)

- admin
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the "insulated" areas could have had less sub-prime borrowing, so prices in those areas aren't competing against as many short/foreclosure sales. However, Alt-A/Option-Arm mortgages will be resetting throughout 2010-2012, and those types of mortgages were given to people with above sub-prime credit, so the "safe" towns could be exposed when that wave hits, not to mention the potential onset of more unemployment. Does anyone have some numbers on how mortgages are distributed? I remember the NY Fed having a map applet on their site, but I didn't really get much info from it.

That said, I've noticed a lot of Redfin listings in "crash" neighborhoods which have been priced 5-10% above what the same place sold for in 2004-2005. However, I suppose it's possible those places have gone though some serious remodeling since then..

Contribution to the off-topic discussion:
I attended public school K-12 in Kansas City and it was fine. K-8 I was in a total immersion French program, 9-10 I was at a charter school, and 11-12 I lived and studied at a public university in a state-run Academy program. This was all free.
While white flight in the midwest was largely manifested as a mass migration to suburban public schools. I'm thinking that the Northeast migration was to catholic/private schools instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.