bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

"The federal agency that insures bank deposits... is facing a potential major shortfall in part because it collected no insurance premiums from most banks from 1996 to 2006.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which insures deposits up to $250,000, tried for years to get congressional authority to collect the premiums in case of a looming crisis. But Congress believed that the fund was so well-capitalized - and that bank failures were so infrequent - that there was no need to collect the premiums for a decade, according to banking officials and analysts."

Wow. So now, our money in banks isn't even safe. I wonder how many people will start pulling their money out of the banks now...

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/03/11/now_needy_fdic_collected_little_in_premiums/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed7
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:

Wow. So now, our money in banks isn't even safe. I wonder how many people will start pulling their money out of the banks now...

If you pulled your money out, where would you put it that would be safer?

- admin
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

admin wrote:

If you pulled your money out, where would you put it that would be safer?

- admin

I don't know, and I've thought about it since the market crashed last fall. Britain does not have as generous bank deposit guarantees as the US, and they are in a world of hurt, too. Maybe the Canadian banks? They seem to be doing much better.

I don't like the idea of gold, especially since it is at all time highs.

How about you?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:

How about you?

I haven't been able to think of anything better, which is why I asked - I'd like to find something better. I'm wary of foreign banks because other countries are not immune to failure either and the remedy that I fear is a repudiation of foreign holdings. I'm wary of gold because 1) it may be in a pricing bubble right now too and 2) it would be stressful to physically protect. I actually think an FDIC insured account may be safer than the other options given that there is are tremendous disincentives to letting the FDIC fail and the government has the power to rescue it by printing more money (which would still devalue savings through inflation, but it would be a smaller loss than complete failure).

- admin
WestCoastXPlant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been done for years in Eastern Europe...apparently here during the GD too --
[url]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449114,00.html[/url]
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/03/are-mattresses-safe-cash-stash.html

There is always the backyard too Smile There is a reason crime rises really fast in hard times -- people keep more money on hand, more people are desperate for cash, and police is usually stretched thin. I do very much doubt that the US will let depository banks fail though -- I know of countries where the banks can't get people to bring their money in a decade after the last failures. I bet if it comes down to that they will print in earnest.
gnulnx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 pm GMT    Post subject: How about oil Reply with quote

I agree with trying to find somewhere safer to put money these days. I'd also avoid gold since it's at an all time high like a previous poster said. But what about oil? Oil is a finite resource just like gold...only we use oil much faster than we use gold.

Also the best kicker is that oil is at a serious low right now. Sure it could move up and down, but I'm willing to bet you have a better chance of money in oil being profitable (or even at worst) in 3-5 years from now.

i think oil goes back up to 50-75 range on it's own even in a down economy. When the economy starts it's recovery (if it starts it's recovery) will push oil higher. We are essentially at peak oil right now...give or take 5 years.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: How about oil Reply with quote

gnulnx wrote:
I agree with trying to find somewhere safer to put money these days. I'd also avoid gold since it's at an all time high like a previous poster said. But what about oil? Oil is a finite resource just like gold...only we use oil much faster than we use gold.

...We are essentially at peak oil right now...give or take 5 years.

I want to say, "but oil isn't liquid" ... and can't figure out anything else to say because I'm LMAO (it's been a long day) Laughing

I would think oil might be a good long-term (but not that long) investment, but how can you pay people with oil? You have to turn it into cash, and I believe it is traded in US$. And the question still is there, what do you do with your cash?

I'm liking the mattress safe idea posted above Very Happy.

And for a little film about peak oil, go to:

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/

You can get the movie from Netflix.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I haven't been able to think of anything better, which is why I asked - I'd like to find something better. I'm wary of foreign banks because other countries are not immune to failure either and the remedy that I fear is a repudiation of foreign holdings. I'm wary of gold because 1) it may be in a pricing bubble right now too and 2) it would be stressful to physically protect. I actually think an FDIC insured account may be safer than the other options given that there is are tremendous disincentives to letting the FDIC fail and the government has the power to rescue it by printing more money (which would still devalue savings through inflation, but it would be a smaller loss than complete failure).

- admin

Yes, most foreign banks are unattractive to me. I would only do Britain, Canada or US because they are very stable, and between my husband and I, we have citizenship in those countries. I guess I do think that the US gov. would print all the money they needed to insure deposits, simply because the US as we know it would be over and done if they didn't. So, my money stays in the bank for the time being. But I think I will look into the Canadian banks when I get a chance Smile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/opinion/28tedesco.html?scp=1&sq=canadian%20banks&st=cse
gnulnx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:41 am GMT    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

Oil is liquid depending on how you look at it. You can buy the USO ETF which tracks the price of oil pretty well. As far as paying with oil...you have a point there. Ultimately everything in this country is payed for in dollars (for the time being) so I guess you just sell oil and get cash.

I do agree that real long term oil won't be a good play because governments will have to intervene to keep the price down at some point. For now oil seems as good as anything else....almost as good as that matress!

Oh what interesting times we live in.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Now-needy FDIC collected little in premiums Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:
I guess I do think that the US gov. would print all the money they needed to insure deposits, simply because the US as we know it would be over and done if they didn't.

Exactly. That's a very high bar to pass in terms of safety. How likely is it that oil or gold ETFs will be worth anything or even be redeemable if the US financial system has disintegrated?

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more serious than I imagined. I thought we had some pretty smart people running things. It is kind of shocking.

This also aligns with my theory about how properties go through a metamorphis of state. The whole shift in properties from one state to another i.e. how ice has structural properties, water has buoyancy, and vapor is gaseous. Just like Clinton wanted to hit the "Reset" button with our relations with Russia, this whole deformation of fundamental properties sort of cleans the slate.

I know this sounds crappy, but quite frankly, people want health care and they haven't saved any money. How do you figure that one out. You can't get elected if you tell people that you can't get services that you don't pay for so what do you do? It seems evident that we need to make the mistakes first miserably and then we readjust. The day of reckoning has come and our solution is to dillute the poison and not bite the bullet and take the pain and amputate / make poisoned banks or those that overreached go bankrupt. It is definately unfair, but like someone on this blog told me, democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting for what to have for dinner. The responsible people lost the election. Many of the responsible people thought their candidate won, but will find out pretty quickly that they chose wrong as Obama breaks promise after promise after promise. It is awful that he signed the Omnibus Bill. He promised to stop earmarks during his campaign and now he says earmarks are good. He said that business as usual will end, but then he hands the reigns to Pelosi and Reid and they go on a spending frenzy. Ask yourself, is it a good idea to borrow more money when you're already in debt? Can you build a society based on those values?

Sadly, civilizations never learn. People vote their self interests and peacetime usually ends when people's industrious values dissolve. At first, you get mob rule and the masses demand entitlements and when they eat through all of that there is one last reset button.

That reset button is War. That is how unsustainable policies play out. People need to start being predators. War is when people can't or won't do for themselves and the food runs out and they need to take their neigbors. It is not heartlessness that people don't want to spend, it is realistic understanding of how this whole thing plays out.

Alan Greenspan wrote a piece in the WSJ yesterday because he was pissed that people were blaming him for this crash. He basically said what many of us are saying, that we didn't get trickle down economics because all the wealth went to China.

The only other peaceful solution to all of this is the change of state and reset of the values of currency. If people in the international community agree to other nations dilluting their currency in order to dillute their debt which will of course create winners and losers, WW III might be avoided. Given the fact that we can't even rely on the Western Europeans to support our spending/ currency manipulation policy, I'm fearful that the US will be encircled.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 pm GMT    Post subject: fdic failure Reply with quote

john p wrote:
I thought we had some pretty smart people running things.

Yes, smart, short-sighted, and greedy as hell.

john p wrote:
Given the fact that we can't even rely on the Western Europeans to support our spending/ currency manipulation policy, I'm fearful that the US will be encircled.

I have this debate whether or not this is just another economic blip and after a few difficult years, the US will be revved up and working again. But then I think, doing what? Selling more MBS to foreigners? Making more medical products that insurance companies refuse to pay for? Another technical revolution that turns into a big fat stock bubble? And that is when I start thinking about the "fall" of the US. Part of me hopes we will just turn into Europe or Canada, but the other part of me (the part from Idaho) thinks that there are just too many militant, gun-toting people in this country. But then, maybe that is a good thing. Wink
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is immune. We must allow for a small chance that anything can happen, which is a lesson reinforced by this recession. If all your money is in a bank, you basically are not diversified enough! The money can be safe and insured, but it is probably a better idea to spread your money around a little bit. Investments in the stock market can be a part of your portfolio. So can different types of bonds. Cash in the bank is another investment, and money market accounts in big mutual fund companies (such as Fidelity and Vanguard) are also a good thing to have.
Buying oil or any other commodity is the least safe approach (guaranteed to lose money). If treasuries are good enough for Chicoms, they are good enough for everybody else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> News & Reference Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.