bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

What are houses appraising at when it comes time to close?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 pm GMT    Post subject: What are houses appraising at when it comes time to close? Reply with quote

I just went to zillow to see the "Zestimate" of a house that is for sale on my street. The asking price for the house is $100k greater than the "Zestimate". The Zestimate is over $120k less than what the owner paid back in 2006 (24% less than what was paid back in 2006). The asking price is 4% less than what was paid for the house in 2006.

Now I know all the criticisms regarding Zillow, but this is a very large spread. It makes you wonder how other appraisers evaluate the properties.

I was wondering if anyone heard of any issues regarding having deals fall through due to appriasals that were significantly less than the agreed sales price?

I know when I went to refinance, the banks used a significantly lower number for the value of my home so it kept me from qualifying due to loan to value, but if the same bank used the same evaluation (the bank representative told us they use Zillow), I'd be surprised if they approved any sales in my town as the numbers are so far apart.

I know the government is pushing banks to get the money out there, but the banks are playing games with the evaluation and appraisals. I think there needs to be some oversight in these matters because the people who end up qualifying end up being those that don't need the stimulus to begin with and were never damaged by the downturn of the housing bubble as they bought before the bubble. So basically we're giving medicine to those that suffered no real injuries...
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the property im buying, the Zestimate is $347k. The original asking price was about $20k over that. I ended up purchasing for $307k.

The appraisal came in at $380k. I think thats a little high but the only homes that sold recently in the area were in the mid $400s. They also looked at the house across the street that's the identical house which sold for $379k back in 2002. I didn't think they were going back that far but the report showed it.

Have you tried other appraisal sites? Cyberhomes appraisal was $302k, which is lower. Eppraisal was $308k (right on!).
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher appraisal (when you bought a house for 300k) only benefits the town which can tax you more. Its all fictitious anyway, so I wouldn't necesarily put any meaning into those numbers. Appraisal should be what you paid for the house, not anything else.
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Since the appraisal process has changed since May 1st, they have notes for another appraisal by another company. Im supposed to sign papers tomorrow and now might be delayed another week!
The first appraisal was above the selling price but looks like they want verification with another company. This is crazy......
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

I would say that your instinct was right that the appraisal was a little high.

If I were in your shoes I'd be thinking about what the lender might be concerned with.

I don't think that the lender would be concerned that your house isn't worth what you paid. (Very nice job on that deal again...).

I think what the lender is concerned with is the percentage of equity. I'm not sure how this works, maybe JCK can chime in, but your PMI has to do with what percentage of the home you have a current share in. If you own 20% more of the value of your house you can avoid PMI (mortgage insurance). I think that what would make sense is that they determine the value of your property based on what you paid, but it might not work like that because people who refinance use an appraisal, so maybe they just want the appraisal to align with the price.

I think the real issue would have been if you agreed to $380k and it appraised at $308k. Who knows, perhaps your caught up in a protocol that was meant to address the inverse of what happened to you?

Stay calm. You need to make sure the seller knows that you're acting in good faith to resolve this because they're most likely shitting a brick too. Remind yourself that you paid like $70k under the appraised value and this might be a due dilligence Lt. Columbo loose end that needs to be tied off....

When did you lock in? Did you get a rate back when things were in the high 4's or did you get in after the big jump about a few weeks ago? I would have my lawyer make a few phone calls to just make sure that the lender doesn't "Go There" and try to renegotiate the deal or terms i.e. adding points or some other b.s.
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

john p wrote:

I think the real issue would have been if you agreed to $380k and it appraised at $308k. Who knows, perhaps your caught up in a protocol that was meant to address the inverse of what happened to you?

When did you lock in? Did you get a rate back when things were in the high 4's or did you get in after the big jump about a few weeks ago? I would have my lawyer make a few phone calls to just make sure that the lender doesn't "Go There" and try to renegotiate the deal or terms i.e. adding points or some other b.s.

John, my broker called me that they have someone at the house right now, looking it over. I guess what happened is the notes in the first appraisal didn't make sense to the lender. Instead of contacting the same person, they went with another company to verify the notes and reassess the property. She thinks the original company cherry picked the "high-sales" to make the numbers look good. Because have not been any foreclosed or short sales, the numbers in the area do support the original assessment. But will find out later.

I locked in middle of June. My rate is 5.3%, no points, $3k closing costs. There's no PMI, have 20% cash down.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have a down payment for 20% of the price you paid, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have 20% equity if the appraisal comes in lower than what you paid....

I very much doubt this would be the case as you have a ton of cushion in there. I'd relax a bit behind the scenes, but keep the pressure on the team to drive this home.
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a man version of Bridezilla!!

Between my attorney, broker, and realtor we finally got things straightened out. My realtor said the original appraiser only used the Merrymount area of Quincy and didn't extend like they should. The new appraisal was more in line with the Zillow estimate, 335k.

It would be good to find out how far do they extend for comps?

Even though the new appraisal is in, my closing has been moved further out in the day.

By the way, I will be documenting the renovations on the property and will post my updates in the Open Discussion.
Rental Lease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that they're appraising for about 25% less than expected, due partially to the slack real estate market, partially to appraisers having grown extremely conservative in order to maintain their relationships with skittish lenders, and partially due to lenders specifically asking for extra low numbers.
It's an easy market to buy in, but a hard market to borrow in.
Best of luck,
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My agent mentioned recently that he's been losing some deals to low appraisals.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two comps on my street finally came through and my Zillow "Zestimate" has gone up $100k since May.....

I felt like I had a legitimate beef when rates were in the high 4's and I couldn't access them because appraisers were erring on the side of caution and certain banks told us they were using Zillow. My issue was that if the government is extending a benefit and the President was saying "This is a great time to refinance", it is wrong that banks can get taxpayer money and then are supposed to extend an encouraged benefit to citizens and then use "Zillow" to execute that policy. Basically, Zillow was the reason why I couldn't get to refiance. Sure, I could have paid for an appraiser but that was a total crap shoot. So in the end, the citizens in financially stable towns like Newton got to cash in on that benefit and most of them never needed the adreneline shot in the first place.
JCK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rates are still pretty low, so I'd keep looking out for a good refinance deal, if you can get one (now that your place is worth an additional $100k).
john p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JCK, how the hell are ya? I haven't heard from you in a while. What's your 90 second take on things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.