bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

"Immune Towns" - will they ever drop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fear that we'll be 'rescued' and the housing prices will never fall is not based on reality. If we are rescued for real, then the econmy will pick up and we'll all be doing great. Will this happen in the near term? Absolutely unlikely, because of the massive porkulus bill and other future spending. If you give every homeowner $10k and 15% of them lose their jobs, this will do nothing to save those who can not pay for their mortgage on a home they can not afford. Its a double-edged sword: if we start changing the mortgage terms - we will start hurting banks, and then we will have to keep pumping money into them, which will not lead to anything good. So in short, this is more of a political 'spread the wealth' gimmic, just like lowering taxes for '95% of Americans', which is bogus, because 40% do not pay any taxes.

Do not pay attention to political rhetoric, but do pay attention to the fundamentals. While prices may never fall in Boston, the people here are just as affected as in CA, and are probably a lot more stubborn. Yes, a longer unemployment will probably keep most of those who lost their high end jobs afloat (and lets not forget hefty severance packages). This year - do not expect prices to fall significantly in places like Newton (though we may be surprised), but do keep your patience. This trip may take longer than anticipated.
JCK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Girl wrote:
JCK,

Are you going to buy a foreclosure?
I will probably buy from a realtor, who only sells houses on MLS.
So, it matters to me.
If it is taking forever to put the foreclosures on the market, that is not going to affect the price much, while someone is living in the foreclosed home for free.

Unlikely that I would. Most foreclosures are either going to be snapped up quickly (if they're in good shape), or are going to be absolute disasters. Unless you are personally into major renovations (and have skills and time to do them yourself) I don't see myself going the foreclosure route.

I just don't think there are very many foreclosures in decent neighborhoods.

You can looks around for them on trulia.com, which lists places that have foreclosure deeds.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices will fall but they will just fall much more slowly. Without government help, we may have been able to buy houses in 2 years. With government help, we're going to have to wait 5-10 years. This is no accident as the government wants to spread the losses among as many people as possible as the losses are quite large. A house may need to drop from$600k to $300k, for example. They can dump $300k on the current homeowner or they can dump $150k on the first and $150k on the second. By keeping houses off the market they give sellers more time to sell their houses and increase the likelihood that you will buy higher up on the way down. If you want to buy when housing prices finally reach bottom, you'll just have to wait longer.
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
JCK wrote:

Those who are holding out for good deals in nice towns are going to have to wait some more.

I just spot checked Newton. The median price for a single family went up from $850K to $909K. (Who are these people!?) The number of sales was way down, though. There were 19 sales in January 2009, compared to 33 last January and sales in the 40's for January in most of the rest of the history. Volume is where the declines first showed up for the broader market when the downturn began.

- admin

FYI,

Newton Sales this week: 2

255 DERBY ST - sale price - $452,500 / assessed value $514,900

20 KENSINGTON ST sale price -$410,000 / assessed value $484,300
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the asking price for those as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.