bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

"Immune Towns" - will they ever drop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:55 am GMT    Post subject: Re: TEXAS Reply with quote

ConcernedCitizen2 wrote:
Hi balor123, thought you might find it interesting: I went to one of those Money Magazine "pick the region for you" optimizers, and entered my preferences (cost of living important, education important, cultural amenities important) etc and it told me I should move to;
Houston, Dallas, Austin, Colorado Springs and Washington DC
So 3 out of 5 in Texas!

One could argue that it's rigged. Texas cities come up no matter what your preferences are Razz
Tokyo Girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the inventory in Boston getting lower now?
http://www.housingtracker.net/asking-prices/boston-massachusetts

SFH+Condo Inventory

Feb 2008 31,344

Feb 2009 23,805
BelmontRenter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Girl wrote:
Why is the inventory in Boston getting lower now?
http://www.housingtracker.net/asking-prices/boston-massachusetts

SFH+Condo Inventory

Feb 2008 31,344

Feb 2009 23,805

Because only those who HAVE TO SELL are listing their homes. Especially those who own homes that carry small or no mortgages -- they are waiting out this bad market. There is a dearth of sfh's on the market in some highly desireable towns for this reason.
jad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where Trulia gets their data, but the housing I've been tracking in Needham are selling for around 2006 (supposed peak) prices. A few that have come on the market in the last week are:

MLS 70877599 under agreement in 4 days, listing $759k, last sold in Oct 2006 for $750k.

MLS 70872755 under agreement in 2 days, listing $595k, last sold in Oct 2006 for $617k.

We'll see what they close for, but I don't think it will be 35% less than asking price given they went under agreement in less than a week. Neither appear to have had major updates since last sale.

Anybody else looking at homes in Needham seeing the 27.3% price per sq/ft decline that Trulia says is true in Needham? If so, send post a few examples with MLS number or address from MassDeeds.

I think you may find larger price drops at the very low end or the very high end, but a well maintained property in a good location - I'm just not seeing it yet. As I mentioned earlier, I think we will later this year / next year after sales volume plummets through the spring.
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

jad wrote:
I'm not sure where Trulia gets their data, but the housing I've been tracking in Needham are selling for around 2006 (supposed peak) prices. A few that have come on the market in the last week are:

MLS 70877599 under agreement in 4 days, listing $759k, last sold in Oct 2006 for $750k.

MLS 70872755 under agreement in 2 days, listing $595k, last sold in Oct 2006 for $617k.

We'll see what they close for, but I don't think it will be 35% less than asking price given they went under agreement in less than a week. Neither appear to have had major updates since last sale.

Anybody else looking at homes in Needham seeing the 27.3% price per sq/ft decline that Trulia says is true in Needham? If so, send post a few examples with MLS number or address from MassDeeds.

I think you may find larger price drops at the very low end or the very high end, but a well maintained property in a good location - I'm just not seeing it yet. As I mentioned earlier, I think we will later this year / next year after sales volume plummets through the spring.

I just did a quick check of the numbers on Warren down, after seeing that prices are down 20+% in MA for both condos and SFHs. The low end is getting absolutely hammered, with prices down 50% YOY in certain areas.

Better areas are off by much less, maybe 5-10%. I can't speak to the high end properties. If you're looking for a $400-500k home, I don't think the drops have really hit that strata yet. Condos in Dorchester dropping by $100k, or that $1.5 million place going for 20% off at $1.2m are not (yet) be affecting the middle market.

Those who are holding out for good deals in nice towns are going to have to wait some more.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

Those who are holding out for good deals in nice towns are going to have to wait some more.

I just spot checked Newton. The median price for a single family went up from $850K to $909K. (Who are these people!?) The number of sales was way down, though. There were 19 sales in January 2009, compared to 33 last January and sales in the 40's for January in most of the rest of the history. Volume is where the declines first showed up for the broader market when the downturn began.

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're desperate to buy a nice SFH, it may be worth considering moving a bit further out, if you can handle the commute. Towns like Wayland are dropping a lot.

Once you get (much) outside 128, I think you're looking at a different market.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes to the suburbs, you have to think about the time a suburb earned its reputation. When I grew up in Lynnfield it was a very quiet town that had little farms sprinkled around the place. It is still a great place, but some of the nice pastoral areas now have houses shoehorned in. Saugus used to be pastoral and country in certain areas and then it got overbuilt. Lynnfield is now resembling Saugus of 25 years ago. Boxford is kind of how Lynnfield used to be 25 years ago. The towns that don't go bad, meaning they don't get all honkey tonk are those where people "get it", and want to be in say a Topsfield because it is tranquil and Norman Rockwellesque. I see more towns that have people that have no pride. You see businesses that are completely covered in asphalt and you get a clear view of a dumpster and you have tacky signs and it just looks like an armpit. These types of towns are usually a mess all around because people don't have good values. They have parking spaces that are too small so your car gets scratches from other people opening their doors, you have to worry about being rear ended or having pedestrians jump out in front of you because the spaces haven't been planned properly etc. To me, it is just unpleasant to see a physical embodiment of laziness, lack of pride, poor planning, etc.

Anyway, I would say that you'll see that there are certain towns that remain kind of the same, but other towns that have worn out their reputation. I remember going to this guys house in Hopkinton and was really impressed with his place and he told me that he got lucky because he got into Hopkinton early before it got discovered by the yuppies (and EMC had something to do with it as well...). Southboro was a nothing town, Medfield was a nothing town, Harvard, Hanover were nothing towns, etc. (meaning they weren't these prestigious bedroom communities). I think the potential of a place depends on how much honkey tonk it has and if you see the people that are there having pride in what they have. Even if they have a small place, do they take pride in it or not, that I think is a big tell sign as to whether they will turn good or trashy.
bugelrex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of this listing (It went into contract pretty quickly)

2 family in prime Newton area for 669k

http://www.hammondre.com/70877185

The seller appears to have priced it for a quick sale, is anyone familiar with this area and type of property
Tokyo Girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys.
My husband and I are living in Tokyo after getting sick of renting in Cambridge. We are planning to go back to Boston when the storm passed.
I am keeping my eyes on the "nice" suburbs like Newton, Belmont, Arlington and noticed the prices don't go down much,

and found this site!javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

At first, I thought that it is because the nice town people don't have to sell and the number of houses is limited in Boston area.

But I started suspecting there are some other reasons when I saw this article:

Realty Trac Vice President Discloses 70% Of All Foreclosures Are Not Shown On MLS!
http://rocktrueblood.blogspot.com/2009/02/realty-trac-vice-president-discloses-75.html

Boston is the only city showing the large inventory decline.
That's not happening at other cities like New York, Newark, Philly, SF, Seattle.
http://www.housingtracker.net/

Don't you think there is something going on in Boston?
javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Girl wrote:

Realty Trac Vice President Discloses 70% Of All Foreclosures Are Not Shown On MLS!

If you go to the registry of deeds (www.masslandrecords.com), you can view the foreclosures. A foreclosure is public record; you cannot hide them, as that website seems to imply.

Not listing the foreclosures on MLS doesn't really mean anything at all. Perhaps the banks are auctioning off the properties, rather than using the MLS service. I don't really know.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: reasons for large iventory decline in Boston Reply with quote

Tokyo Girl wrote:
Boston is the only city showing the large inventory decline. That's not happening at other cities like New York, Newark, Philly, SF, Seattle. http://www.housingtracker.net/

Don't you think there is something going on in Boston?
javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')

My off-the-cuff unsubstantiated reply is that 1)Boston is leading this storm and has been declining for 2 1/2 years, whereas other markets are earlier in the cycle (Seattle is just getting started), and 2)banking/finance layoffs are just getting started here so there will be more pain to come.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

Not listing the foreclosures on MLS doesn't really mean anything at all. Perhaps the banks are auctioning off the properties, rather than using the MLS service. I don't really know.

Foreclosures are excluded from the MAR's numbers by virtue of their exclusion form the MLS, so the numbers that they published are skewed upward as a result. The Warren Group also excludes foreclosures. This is one of many reasons to prefer the S&P/Case-Shiller Index.

- admin
Tokyo Girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK,

Are you going to buy a foreclosure?
I will probably buy from a realtor, who only sells houses on MLS.
So, it matters to me.
If it is taking forever to put the foreclosures on the market, that is not going to affect the price much, while someone is living in the foreclosed home for free.

melonrightcoast,

I noticed that boston is ahead of the cycle, 4 years ago and thought that the price will go down earlier than CA, but i guess not, if the foreclosure or short sale process is so slow in MA for some reason.

and, if these people get rescued, while we are waiting, I'm afraid that we might not see much price decline after all.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 pm GMT    Post subject: boston inventory drop Reply with quote

Tokyo Girl wrote:

melonrightcoast,

I noticed that boston is ahead of the cycle, 4 years ago and thought that the price will go down earlier than CA, but i guess not, if the foreclosure or short sale process is so slow in MA for some reason.

and, if these people get rescued, while we are waiting, I'm afraid that we might not see much price decline after all.

I am also concerned about the housing "solution" putting a too-high-bottom here in Boston, as prices are dropping faster everywhere else, it seems. And I don't know if the foreclosure or short sale process is really so slow here. I do know that in highly desirable towns that foreclosures or bank owned properties tend to sell quickly. One bank owned property in my target town supposedly received seven offers. The asking price was about 20% less than what the previous owners paid for it a few years ago. I have also seen several short-sales and owners listing their homes for less than what paid for it. So, prices HAVE come down... just not enough for us to be able to buy, yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.