bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

"Immune Towns" - will they ever drop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 am GMT    Post subject: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

I lived in Newton for the past 15 years, and I'm currently renting in Newton. The median income for Newton is around $100k a year, and with median prices around $750k, the situation is unsustainable. Most people living in Newton live paycheck to paycheck, and the so-called 'rich' are only considered rich by their spending habits, not by their savings. Most people do not have enough savings to last a couple of months. I've also observed stay at home mom phenomenon - there are many families with only one spouse working, so an unemployment check is not going to cover expenses for most of these families. Because I know one particular area of Newton, I've been observing the prices and trends, and what I can see right now is this. Some houses were taken off the market, however there are new houses that have been added quite recently. Properties that have been listed for months have been discounted several times, but many are still hopelessly overpriced. Some of these are standing empty, and owners are bleeding cash. Many of the loans on these properties involve small downpayment and a double mortgage. Many of them were bought less than 5 years ago, and some are new constructions. It seems that there are absolutely nobody visiting these properties during Sunday showings.

My conclusion is this. Unemployment, and nothing else, will be the deciding factor. Fidelity just declared that they will be implementing previously announced layoffs (~1700 in MA). Bose laid off 1000 people. Law firms are going to be next. Those who are high earners will be hit especially hard because many households have a single earner. Many people (boomers) will be taking early retirement (whether they want it or not), and will have to downsize within the next few years (some earlier than later due to layoffs). State of MA will have to lay off lots of people (possibly attrition/early retirement). Recent grads (even doctors) have debts approaching $200k, and they will definitely not be able to afford to buy. Many people whose only 'retirement' account consists of their house will have to sell, and fast. There are hiring freezes in most companies, so there will not be a high earner inflow into MA for the next few years. The worst is yet to come!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
I lived in Newton for the past 15 years, and I'm currently renting in Newton. The median income for Newton is around $100k a year, and with median prices around $750k, the situation is unsustainable. Most people living in Newton live paycheck to paycheck, and the so-called 'rich' are only considered rich by their spending habits, not by their savings.

This is what I've always suspected. Very, very few people could afford a $750K home if they restrict themselves to 3 - 4 X income, a 20% down payment, and cash reserves for an extended period of time to cover lean times. I really doubt that there are enough locals with that profile to fill up a single town, let alone all of the self-styled immune towns that like to implicitly claim them. Bottom line: if you're not rich yourself, don't buy with the illusion that all your neighbors are rich and will therefore support your house's price.

Also, Newton in particular just went fantastically over budget on a new high school. I've got to wonder whether that will affect the residents' willingness to vote for continued property tax overrides to keep their schools on top. Good teachers are far more important than a $186M facility. Will their overspending on the facility inhibit their ability to retain good teachers and raise future funding? Paying a steep premium to live in Newton for the schools seems like a pretty big gamble, unless your kids are already old enough to take full advantage of it (and even then, I would wonder whether private school in a more sanely priced town would prove cheaper and possibly even better).

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

admin wrote:
GenXer wrote:
I lived in Newton for the past 15 years, and I'm currently renting in Newton. The median income for Newton is around $100k a year, and with median prices around $750k, the situation is unsustainable. Most people living in Newton live paycheck to paycheck, and the so-called 'rich' are only considered rich by their spending habits, not by their savings.

This is what I've always suspected. Very, very few people could afford a $750K home if they restrict themselves to 3 - 4 X income, a 20% down payment, and cash reserves for an extended period of time to cover lean times.

I agree, but your analysis is really only relevant to the first-time home buyer. Take your median income, knock out renters who aren't your competition for buying houses, and knock out the retirees, many of whom are asset rich with lower incomes. I'd bet your competition for that Newton house is making quite a bit more than $100k median.

So then who is left over?

There probably some (maybe a lot of) people who are stretched really thin (as described above). But there are those bought a place 15+ years ago, have enormous equity, and manageable mortgage payments. They can sustain their lifestyle, even if their income is less than 1/3-1/4 of $750k.

I really think you need to include a wealth component in the analysis. If Newton is filled with people who are cash flow rich and asset poor, then I would expect prices to decrease substantially in the near future. If, on the other hand, there are a lot of people who are asset-rich, then I think the prices may be more sustainable, even in the fact of the terrible economy and decreasing incomes...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

I agree, but your analysis is really only relevant to the first-time home buyer. Take your median income, knock out renters who aren't your competition for buying houses, and knock out the retirees, many of whom are asset rich with lower incomes.

Yes, you're right - as a first time buyer, those are my personal safety guidelines. I think they could be tweaked to account for those with greater savings. Perhaps in that case it is the mortgage rather than purchase price which should be no more than 3 - 4 X income, as that would account for a larger down payment.

JCK wrote:

I'd bet your competition for that Newton house is making quite a bit more than $100k median.

I don't deny that this is possible, but I am skeptical. Who are these people and what do they do for work? How secure is the high income? All the high income jobs I can think of are vulnerable to recession and starting to get hit now.

JCK wrote:

There probably some (maybe a lot of) people who are stretched really thin (as described above). But there are those bought a place 15+ years ago, have enormous equity, and manageable mortgage payments. They can sustain their lifestyle, even if their income is less than 1/3-1/4 of $750k.

I really think you need to include a wealth component in the analysis. If Newton is filled with people who are cash flow rich and asset poor, then I would expect prices to decrease substantially in the near future. If, on the other hand, there are a lot of people who are asset-rich, then I think the prices may be more sustainable, even in the fact of the terrible economy and decreasing incomes...

This is at least partially a testable hypothesis. The Registry of Deeds should have the necessary information do determine how many people bought 15+ years ago and/or have enormous equity. Maybe somebody looking to buy in Newton will be motivated to look into it and share the results.

What about when those people get laid off or transferred, though? Sure, they could afford to live off of a much smaller fraction of $750K, but the flip side is that they can also afford to sell for less than the prevailing price and still make out quite well.

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

admin wrote:

I don't deny that this is possible, but I am skeptical. Who are these people and what do they do for work? How secure is the high income? All the high income jobs I can think of are vulnerable to recession and starting to get hit now.

The big one I can think of is physicians. But the law and finance sectors are getting hammered, which should at least reduce demand.

JCK wrote:

Quote:
This is at least partially a testable hypothesis. The Registry of Deeds should have the necessary information do determine how many people bought 15+ years ago and/or have enormous equity. Maybe somebody looking to buy in Newton will be motivated to look into it and share the results.

Great idea. Not going to be me!

Quote:
What about when those people get laid off or transferred, though? Sure, they could afford to live off of a much smaller fraction of $750K, but the flip side is that they can also afford to sell for less than the prevailing price and still make out quite well.

I think it will depend. If have-no-savings types are going to have to leave in short order, if they don't find new employment. The guy who has savings, reasonable mortgage, and is employable probably can stick it out. I don't know the ratio or absolute numbers of these types, so it's all guess-work.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

The big one I can think of is physicians. But the law and finance sectors are getting hammered, which should at least reduce demand.

Area hospitals are laying off too, though perhaps physicians are less affected than supporting staff.

This sounds like a testable hypothesis too. At least the part about a town being full of physicians is testable. You can cross reference the Registry of Deeds with The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine to see what percentage of owners are doctors.

JCK wrote:

Great idea. Not going to be me!

Nor me, at least not now. I'll tell you who should be doing this - Realtors trying to sell in Newton. Come on, prove the bears here wrong. I'd probably even be happy with a statistically significant sample (i.e., it would only require checking a fraction of deeds).

- admin
Hard Rain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

jad wrote:
Hard Rain - I am using Mass Deeds and don't see homes selling for less than a few years ago in the towns I mentioned (inside 128).

However, according to JohnP's link, even Sherborn is up 7% year over year. Needham, Jamaica Plain, Cambridge, Winchester, Carlise, Hingham, Hamilton, Manchester, Weston, Wellesley, Arlington, etc. all ended 2008 in positive territory. Most of the nicer towns are down 0-10% at most, while the lower income towns are down 10-30%.

Jad,

Weston Median price is down 35% YOY

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Weston-Massachusetts/

and it's getting worse;

http://www.trulia.com/blog/lisa_curlett_williams/2009/01/weston
barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fidelity is laying off more people (and they have offices in Mererimac, marlborough, and smithfield, those offices whould not impact the metro boston market... and they are growing in NC and TX... MFS was sold, and they are already restructuring... State street will announce layoffs soon... These layoffs impact other firms as well (legal, real estate, pro services-tech, mgmt cnst, architects, recruiting, etc). Accenture, Merrideth grew, spaulding sly (there is an article on the pending commercial real estate Apocalypse on seeking alpha) all represent a high paying base of employees that will be greatly impacted by what is going on.

This is a national crisis, and even though some, even the majority, will not be effected, a large percentage will by either loss of jobs or reduced salary/bonus... does this mean they cannot afford to stay there? My guess will be yes for many.

the reality is that this market like all others will be impacted.. how bad? who knows but if this drags on for more than 12 months, there will really be no insulated towns...
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Rain,

With all due respect, I just searched other West of Boston towns, and none of them are down anywhere near 35%.

Newton, Brookline, Belmont show nothing of the sort.

I think Weston must be an outlier (perhaps due to a few very expensive homes selling a year ago?)

YOY data for any single town is going to be highly noisy, given the small number of sales in each cohort.
samz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there is a fundamental asymmetry between prices going up and prices going down. The vast majority of people cannot sell a house for less than they paid, except under dire circumstances. Most people in nice towns are not experiencing the same dire circumstances as people in other towns (and other parts of the country). As a result, these town get "locked in" to a price structure.

Perhaps this asymmetry has a simple explanation: a house is typically a highly leveraged purchase, so even small losses are greatly amplified.

Here's an interesting question...
What happens in this scenario: two houses, next door to each other, in Lexington both go on the market. One house has been owned by the same family for 15 years -- they bought it for $200K and would walk away with a decent chunk of cash even if they sold it for $300K. The other house was purchased in 2005 for $600K. To make things interesting, let's say that the first house is a little outdated; the second house has some nice updates (but nowhere near $300k worth).

Can the prices be set based on ability to sustain a nominal loss?
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A house in Lexington for under $500k?

It's good to hear you guys talk. I've lived in MA for 6 years and it's looking like I won't get much past the $100k mark and it looks like I'll need roughly twice that to stay. I figured everyone else living around here - even in Waltham! - was making 50 - 100% more than me. What confuses me is that many of my coworkers seem to be able to afford it. One is building a house in Wellseley right now. Another already rebuilt a house there. Others live in Brookline, Lexington, Cambridge, etc. With the pressure on wages now (and since I started working since I've never worked for a profitable company), I think I'll be lucky to get much past this even ignoring inflation adjustment! I've been telling my wife if she wants to stay here to expect a house below her standards but so far we've been doing quite well renting.

I think others are right that layoffs will eventually force prices to come down but I'm beginning to think that it won't happen, not because the market won't get to work but politicians won't allow it to. They're pushing interest rates down, allowing mortgage modifications, extending unemployment benefits, etc. Even without that help, we've seen articles in the past which explain that these people still have lots of cushion and are resourceful in avoiding losses. It will take a long time to break them down and I fear that the market might recover before that happens, which won't likely raise prices but keep them persistently expensive.

Let's also keep in mind that part of my competition is from government employees. This state seems intent on pricing out private workers with public workers financed by debt. Have you seen this article? Check out this quote: "Balser said, and almost anything was preferable to cutting or freezing wages." It's like the government serves its employees, not citizens.

In this state I'm apparently not a hard working American because I don't work for the government (There's a long list of things on the table before reducing salaries of hard-working public employees). GenXer - why do you and your neighbors put up with this kind of leadership?[/url]
samz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
A house in Lexington for under $500k?

Hey man, I can dream can't I? Wink

balor123 wrote:
It's good to hear you guys talk. I've lived in MA for 6 years and it's looking like I won't get much past the $100k mark and it looks like I'll need roughly twice that to stay. I figured everyone else living around here - even in Waltham! - was making 50 - 100% more than me. What confuses me is that many of my coworkers seem to be able to afford it. One is building a house in Wellseley right now. Another already rebuilt a house there. Others live in Brookline, Lexington, Cambridge, etc. With the pressure on wages now (and since I started working since I've never worked for a profitable company), I think I'll be lucky to get much past this even ignoring inflation adjustment! I've been telling my wife if she wants to stay here to expect a house below her standards but so far we've been doing quite well renting.

It all depends on what you did in real estate market over the last 10-15 years. I suspect that a lot of people got lucky in the boom and now are sitting on a big nest-egg. Let's say you bought something small and crappy in a nice town in the early 90's. Over the last 10-15 years you paid $50K to $75K towards the principle, maybe saved another $25K, and let's say you sold it for $150K more than you paid. So, now you're sitting on $250K. With that kind of cash, a $600K house isn't that crazy.

balor123 wrote:
I think others are right that layoffs will eventually force prices to come down but I'm beginning to think that it won't happen, not because the market won't get to work but politicians won't allow it to. They're pushing interest rates down, allowing mortgage modifications, extending unemployment benefits, etc. Even without that help, we've seen articles in the past which explain that these people still have lots of cushion and are resourceful in avoiding losses. It will take a long time to break them down and I fear that the market might recover before that happens, which won't likely raise prices but keep them persistently expensive.

That's been my feeling. The really bad news, IMHO, is that if prices were to drop precipitously in towns like Brookline, Lexington, etc., it would probably signal a major economic depression, which isn't good for anyone.

balor123 wrote:
Let's also keep in mind that part of my competition is from government employees. This state seems intent on pricing out private workers with public workers financed by debt. Have you seen this article? Check out this quote: "Balser said, and almost anything was preferable to cutting or freezing wages." It's like the government serves its employees, not citizens.

In this state I'm apparently not a hard working American because I don't work for the government (There's a long list of things on the table before reducing salaries of hard-working public employees). GenXer - why do you and your neighbors put up with this kind of leadership?[/url]

Did you see that story about how some MBTA employees are getting paid six figures? Crazy. But that's probably more anecdotal than endemic. I doubt that your average government worker is getting rich and pushing up house prices in Lexington.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of my coworkers fit your explanation. They either got in early (1990 - 2002) or cashed out and then came back. Eventually these people will downsize but I don't want to wait.

Competitiveness isn't an issue for our state right now. We'll keep the cost of living high, raise taxes and borrow to cover expenses, and place further burdens on business in this state. I can't wait to see what the emigration from the state looks like over the next few years!
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am GMT    Post subject: Real estate in Newton, etc. Reply with quote

I know some people who bought houses in Newton in the early 90s - they will not last a year without a job. Most have never paid these houses out, and they bought for under 300k!

Another thing...doctors have huge debts, and there are many older retiring doctors and many young ones, and the young doctors have debts approaching $200k. They also don't make that much just starting out until they finish residency, and then they jump to get married and have kids, and if they buy a house as well, they will be in a dire situation if anything happens to their job, since they probably married somebody just like them with a huge debt.

Most 'medians' work for construction, have a small business or work in high tech. Oh, yes, and there are government hacks in MA all over the place. This is a one party state. We have some state policemen making 200k+ doing 'details'.

Many of us are agsinst this corruption. Thats the point. I've never voted in municipal elections until the school override, which we lost. Since then we've voted down the first of many tax overrides. There are a lot of people now (the Newton 'have-nots', so to speak) who will vote against the school (some stupid parents and city workers voted for it, retirees voted against it).

However, the hacks always seem to vote for more of our taxes to pay for their salaries and spending. If anybody is tracking what is happening in MA right now - it will be a total collapse unless the government stops spending and starts saving (or unless Washington bails MA out, which will happen eventually, I'm afraid). But the taxpayers in MA are fed up with the government, and will not approve more spending. Cities and towns will start cutting the pork, because thats the only way the elected officials will be able to keep their cushy jobs.
jad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Rain said "Weston Median price is down 35% YOY per Trulia".

The Warren group, which gets their data from Registry of Deeds, is much more accurate than Trulia. Per the Warren Group, in Weston:

Dec 2006 Median Price: 787,500
Dec 2007 Median Price: 1,073,500
Dec 2008 Median Price: 1,400,000

Full Year 2006: 1,200,000
Full Year 2007: 1,225,000
Full Year 2008: 1,317,500

The number of sales in Dec 2008 was also higher than 2007 (7 vs. 6). Obviously with a sample size this small, the December data isn't too reliable, but the full year stats show nothing like a 35% decline, nor do stats from Q3 2008.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.