bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston & Urban Suburban Condo Market; in good shape!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:32 am GMT    Post subject: Re: More good data!!!!! Reply with quote

Condo wrote:
Thought I would also share addition data.... completely contrary to what is understood and reported.

Metro West SFH Sales - Jan 1 - June 8 2007 ( 2005) - Natick, Framingham, Wayland, Sudbury, Ashland, Wellesley, Weston, Dover, Needham, Newton, Southborough, Northborough, Westborough, Holliston & Sherborn.
Trans: 1297 (1303)
Absorption: $968,191,926 ($975,980,031)

South Shore SFH Sales Jan 1 - June 8 2007 (2005) - Hingham, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanover, Hull, Marshfield, Norwell, Pembroke, Scituate & Weymouth.
Trans: 693 (665)
Absorption: $390,491,772 ($365,435,568)

Norfolk County SFH Sales - Jan 1 - June 8 2007 (2005) - Braintree, Canton, Dedham, Foxboro, Milton, Needham, Norwood, Sharon, Walpole & Westwood.
Trans: 801 (788)
Absorption: $429,379,092 ($420,582,002)

Numbers speak for themselves ........ jezz, looks like a lot of people are out buying SFH's. In many areas and in most instances, at similar or higher numbers than in 05. Interesting ....

Precisely which orifice did you pull these numbers from?

"In 2006 the MetroWest area had a -15% decline in the number of homes sold with an average sale price lower by -2% from 2005, according to statistics from the MA MLS Property Information Network, Inc. (MLSPIN). Closer to home, Natick experienced a -7% decline in sold units, but with an average sale price decline of -8% compared to 2005. "
Condo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guest,
Amazing isn't it!!!! Completely contrary to what we are lead to believe in the local media. It absolutely blows my mind that they miss it this badly. I'm not denying your quote ...but, that's last years data. The data I provided is current, pulled from MLS & LINK, and periodically cross referenced with the registry of deeds for updating and accuracy. All public record my friend..... you just have to do a little work, and you can find it for yourself. And, by the way, the numbers do not include pre-sales at new construction. So, in some instances, #'s are higher. ( Including Natick and the new construction project at the Mall, sales are going well I hear).

Hey Admin!
Great, isn't it!!! It's really not as bad as most pessimists are pushing out to the public. You really have to focus on specific areas, I'm not going to tell you that sales are fantastic in Mattapan & Lynn. I'm not hear to state that the RE market in MA or NE, as a whole, is the best it has ever been....but I'm also tired of the negative press...although, it's gotten much better. Bubble???? When was the last time you read a local bubble story? (That's behind us) Now it's on to Sub Prime stories. National stories about over building in NV, FLA, Southern Cali, really has nothing to do with our local, conservative, primary residence market. ( Down town presently has about 4.6 months of supply!!! That's fantastic...don't you agree?-- MetroWest: 7.0 months, South Shore: 10.5 months, Norfolk: 7.7 months) While we are on the topic...lets discuss. Do you, or anyone out there, know of anyone who was foreclosed upon? I don't, and I don't know any brokers, who know anyone, who was foreclosed upon. Look at the downtown Boston numbers, I don't know them off hand. However, last time I checked, it was under 5. The reality is this: Sub prime problems are extremely isolated to poor neighborhoods, in which predatory lending took place. I just got back from lunch with a regional manager with Wells Fargo. He oversees urban projects. I asked him if he knew anyone, or had any clients who have been foreclosed upon. He said " No, not in my patch". You are not seeing the young professional couple who purchased a 650K condo in downtown Boston getting whacked. Just not happening!!! The press is going after anything it can grasp..... and trust me, I know a few people, who have had conversations with Globe Editors ....and they now know the are getting a lot of it wrong....or at the very least, not telling the whole story.

Absorption, and I'm the only one talking about it? OK, take the absorption figures out of the equation, the straight sales numbers are also compelling. Wouldn't you agree? 189 homes off the pace of record year 2005 ....maybe I'm missing your point. OK, lets add in the absorption numbers...looks to me like not only can folks afford Boston, and many of the surrounding areas...but the prices are being driven up by demand!

Case-Shiller Index? I'm not saying that it's wrong... but I'm also not saying it's correct. Does it take into consideration that Boston has the most densely populated pool of students in the country, many of whom are renters? ( I honestly don't know, but I would hope he takes that into consideration, because it most certainly effects the #'s) The index has certainly not been right to date, the numbers I provide fly right in the face of his predictions. Remember, Case was one of the first to predicted the whole Internet Bubble, with a very similar formula. He and his little Yale buddy Shiller were also the guys who started this whole frenzy with the Real Estate "Bubble" speculation in Fortune Magazines Oct 28th, 2002 edition. Many extremely bright and well respected economists don't buy it. Publicly opposed to his theories about some major cities; Joseph Gyourko of The Wharton School, Christopher Mayer of the Graduate School of Business at Columbia University and Todd Sinai, also of the Wharton School. They wrote a paper called "Superstar Cities", which includes Boston, SF & NYC. It's a 53 page paper which is extremely interesting, and supports my position. A few key points are that these cities, and a few others, are "affluent", have diverse economies and have geographical and political restrictions, impeding the ability to create new inventory. Thus, these cities will continue to have a thriving RE market with upward pressure on pricing due to the basic laws of supply and demand. Boston has always been out of line with national numbers as far as affordability is concerned ....it always will. So, people just need to stop grouping it in with national headlines. Glass half full ..............
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condo,

I think there is some misunderstanding here about what the S&P/Case-Shiller Index is. It is not a method for predicting where prices are heading, as seems to be your impression. There is a futures market for the index, and that could be seen as a predictor, but the index itself measures sales which have already occurred. It is a measurement of the past, not a predictor of the future, and I brought it up because it has been indicating a clear decline in prices of Boston area single family homes, whereas you are arguing otherwise.

One of the defining characteristics of the index is that it is based on same-home sales. This is so much better than the median and the average (and absorption) because you are truly comparing apples to apples. The most recent median price quoted by the MAR was $345K for April, 2007, down from $353K (nominal dollars) one year earlier - but what if the homes being purchased also increased in size and quality? Then a home that cost you $353K in 2006 may have cost you even less than $345K in 2007 and the median, average, and absorption distort this reality. That is why it is so helpful to normalize for previous sales of the same homes.

There are many other details that go into how the index is calculated as well. Professors Case and Shiller spent years perfecting the methodology. As far as I know, it is the only housing index which is accurate and reliable enough to have derivatives traded on it on a major financial exchange (i.e., the Chicago Mercantile Exchange).

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - congratulations on your new place. I hope it works out well for you.

- admin
Condo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Admin,
You're correct...I got the Case-Shiller Index wrong. My bad! Read "Superstar Cities"...I'm sure you'll find it fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 am GMT    Post subject: Re: More good data!!!!! Reply with quote

Condo wrote:
Thought I would also share addition data.... completely contrary to what is understood and reported.

Metro West SFH Sales - Jan 1 - June 8 2007 ( 2005) - Natick, Framingham, Wayland, Sudbury, Ashland, Wellesley, Weston, Dover, Needham, Newton, Southborough, Northborough, Westborough, Holliston & Sherborn.
Trans: 1297 (1303)
Absorption: $968,191,926 ($975,980,031)

South Shore SFH Sales Jan 1 - June 8 2007 (2005) - Hingham, Cohasset, Duxbury, Hanover, Hull, Marshfield, Norwell, Pembroke, Scituate & Weymouth.
Trans: 693 (665)
Absorption: $390,491,772 ($365,435,568)

Norfolk County SFH Sales - Jan 1 - June 8 2007 (2005) - Braintree, Canton, Dedham, Foxboro, Milton, Needham, Norwood, Sharon, Walpole & Westwood.
Trans: 801 (788)
Absorption: $429,379,092 ($420,582,002)

Numbers speak for themselves ........ jezz, looks like a lot of people are out buying SFH's. In many areas and in most instances, at similar or higher numbers than in 05. Interesting ....

Your numbers are not even close. Data taken from the registry of deeds:

Jan 1 - June 8 for 2005/2007

Year 2005 2007
Holliston 81 46
Dover 44 22
Sherborn 26 15
Southborough 52 25
Northborough 91 43
Sudury 77 46
Framingham 460 142
Weston 73 46
Wayland 82 28

Totals 1136 624
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Guest: what you're saying is that the Metro West region that Condo has qualified has had transactions drop from 1136 to 624 in the corresponding periods of 2005 and 2007? That's crazy. I'm not saying you're wrong, but wow.

Condo's numbers almost showed a trend that the South Shore and the quadrant south of the "Metro West" region are picking up. I wonder if they are a more attractive alternative to the very high priced Metro West.

I would like to know Condo's take on the Warren Reports. I know he thinks that the media is not putting out accurate reports, but I'd imagine that the Warren Group does.

I admire Condo for footnoting his sources, and being pretty open about where he derives things, but I am uncomfortable that there is this very big discrepancy. If the Boston Globe had the biggest story in 2006 "The Real Estate Bubble Deflates"

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2006/12/24/year_in_review_boston_globe/

It is hard to imagine that the Globe would prop up this story as the top story of the year and blow it on the numbers. If it was a side story deep in the paper I could see them having a loose sheep here and there, but the main story of the year and they choke on the numbers. I don't think that the Globe is that junior varsity.

I wonder what Condo thinks of the Warren Group's reports?
JCK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would interested to hear how both "Guest" and Condo are pulling their numbers from the registry of deeds, where the discrepancies are coming from.

It's not trivial to go through those websites carefully and capture all transactions.
Condo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guest,
Not sure where the discrepancy my lie, or your overall methodology. I confidently stand by the data, taken from the same source as Banker & Tradesmen ( The Warren Group). You seem to be accurate on Holliston.( I just took an arbitrary town to double check) ......sometimes the registries have long lag periods. Thus, the figures will be revised upwards.
You state Holliston: 46 for 2007. I show "Sold", from MLS, for the time period we are working with: CC = 10, SF = 47. (57)
This topic presents itself as a very small example of the challenges different entities encounter when analyzing data, in many instances, the data originating from the same source! I'm happy this came up!
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superstar Cities:

http://real.wharton.upenn.edu/~sinai/papers/superstar_cities_06-16-06-final.pdf

I think this is the report Condo was referring to.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

john p wrote:
I think this is the report Condo was referring to.

I was in the middle of reading it myself. It is indeed interesting. The main premise seems to be that higher prices are the result of a shifting income distribution (more wealthy people) coupled with an inelastic supply of housing. What immediately jumped out at me is that the two years that they chose to support their model were 1950 and 2000. I could not think of a worse possible year than 2000 for such a comparison as I expect that the income distribution was wildly skewed by the dot-com bubble which was at its peak precisely then. However, I haven't read the whole paper yet, so maybe they address this and some of the other reservations I have.

- admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condo wrote:
Hi Guest,
Not sure where the discrepancy my lie, or your overall methodology. I confidently stand by the data, taken from the same source as Banker & Tradesmen ( The Warren Group). You seem to be accurate on Holliston.( I just took an arbitrary town to double check) ......sometimes the registries have long lag periods. Thus, the figures will be revised upwards.
You state Holliston: 46 for 2007. I show "Sold", from MLS, for the time period we are working with: CC = 10, SF = 47. (57)
This topic presents itself as a very small example of the challenges different entities encounter when analyzing data, in many instances, the data originating from the same source! I'm happy this came up!

Condo,

Banker & Tradesmen also lists 46 total sales for Holliston during the 2007 time frame. Perhaps your MLS data includes pending sales ? many pending sales having been falling through due to the tightening of lending standards. I doubt there is much, if any lag time for the registration of deeds....
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to the Superstars!

Shake and Bake!

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1232395/article_images/shakeandbake.jpg
Condo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...that's not it. Sold is a definitive word, not pending, not under agreement. I checked today... there is most certainly delays...got this email from someone with much more knowledge about the recording than I.... "Not so sure about how far backlogged the registries are, but they are backlogged.... Norfolk, Middlesex, etc....."
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's right or the source is unreliable. What other options are there? Come on, we're superstars. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.