bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

When are prices coming down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 am GMT    Post subject: Community Reinvestment Act Reply with quote

SamZ,

You may also want to do research into the Community Reinvestment Act.

This a Federal Law that was passed in the Carter administration (I think) to revitalize inner City.

During the Clinton Administration - Janet Reno substantial enhanced the Community Reinvestment Act and forced Bankers to lend more Mortgage Money in Inner City neighborhoods. Prior to the Clinton Administration expansion of the Act Bankers would lend money in Inner City and charge higher fees for their increased Risk. Janet Reno made the case that this was not Financial Risk Management, but it was race based Discrimination.
The Banks fearful of being taken Court by the Federal Government drastically increased their loan activity in Poorer- Inner City Neighborhoods.

Now, the biggest areas of foreclosure are these areas where Bankers were forced to expand lending to because of the Community Reinvestment Act and we tax payers will bear the cost of fixing the mess created by Politicians and Bureaucrats.

At every turn Politicians have worked to expand Home Ownership as the ONLY way to Wealth. In the Days of Old people would live within their means, Save for a Rainy Day, and work hard.
samz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Community Reinvestment Act Reply with quote

BK wrote:
SamZ,

This a Federal Law that was passed in the Carter administration (I think) to revitalize inner City.

During the Clinton Administration - Janet Reno substantial enhanced the Community Reinvestment Act and forced Bankers to lend more Mortgage Money in Inner City neighborhoods. Prior to the Clinton Administration expansion of the Act Bankers would lend money in Inner City and charge higher fees for their increased Risk. Janet Reno made the case that this was not Financial Risk Management, but it was race based Discrimination.
The Banks fearful of being taken Court by the Federal Government drastically increased their loan activity in Poorer- Inner City Neighborhoods.

Now, the biggest areas of foreclosure are these areas where Bankers were forced to expand lending to because of the Community Reinvestment Act and we tax payers will bear the cost of fixing the mess created by Politicians and Bureaucrats.

At every turn Politicians have worked to expand Home Ownership as the ONLY way to Wealth. In the Days of Old people would live within their means, Save for a Rainy Day, and work hard.

I don't buy this argument -- mortgage companies are innocent victims being pushed around by the government? Investment banks reluctantly came up with the idea of securitizing mortgages in order to offset the risk being forced on them? And community reinvestment is the culprit? Really?
BK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samz,

You were making the case that Government regularly intervenes with Markets and allows inflation. Why wouldn't the Government intervene and force Bankers to lend more Money to areas that need to be revitalized. The best way to get short-medium term financial expansion is by increasing lending. Its through the process of loan being made that you can increase the Money Supply - thats how our Fractional Reserve Banking System works.

I didn't say it was the CAUSE - but, it is an ingredient in the Sub Prime Story - how could it not be?

Have you looked at where the largest Numbers of Foreclosures are - predominately in Poor Neighborhoods.

Can you explain why the Highest Number of Foreclosures are in these historicallyeconomically disadvantaged cities? What explains the over investment in these Poor Towns. Bankers thought Brockton-MA, Trenton-NJ, Lawrence-MA were on the brink of a revival because of their School systems...

BTW - I think it was Fannie Mae (a Government created Enterprise) that first came up with securitizing loans - a long time ago.

I think we need to agree to Disagree.

Best of Luck.
samz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK wrote:
Samz,

You were making the case that Government regularly intervenes with Markets and allows inflation. Why wouldn't the Government intervene and force Bankers to lend more Money to areas that need to be revitalized. The best way to get short-medium term financial expansion is by increasing lending. Its through the process of loan being made that you can increase the Money Supply - thats how our Fractional Reserve Banking System works.

I didn't say it was the CAUSE - but, it is an ingredient in the Sub Prime Story - how could it not be?

Have you looked at where the largest Numbers of Foreclosures are - predominately in Poor Neighborhoods.

Can you explain why the Highest Number of Foreclosures are in these historicallyeconomically disadvantaged cities? What explains the over investment in these Poor Towns. Bankers thought Brockton-MA, Trenton-NJ, Lawrence-MA were on the brink of a revival because of their School systems...

BTW - I think it was Fannie Mae (a Government created Enterprise) that first came up with securitizing loans - a long time ago.

I think we need to agree to Disagree.

Best of Luck.

For the record, I wasn't making that argument at all -- I was just paraphrasing an argument by Kevin Phillips, who has written an entire book on the credit crisis. You should really read that book if you want to understand and critique his argument.

I actually agree with most of what you're saying -- so we can agree to agree. Wink

I think the blame for this mess can be spread pretty wide -- banks, government policies, mortgage brokers, homeowners, flippers, speculators, realtors, etc.

I guess I'm a little hesitant to place a disproportionate amount of blame on government assistance to poor neighborhoods. Take a look at the UBS internal report. It sounds to me like these banks had a huge appetite for subprime mortgages (wrapped up in the form of CDOs) and were making fantastic profits by ignoring the risks.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are like 3 or so topics on this thread, which I think is great because it serves as a great snapshot in time for the market thinking. Some seem to be concerned with the sustainability of the higher income strata, others on the macro economics and potential correction fallout (including policy decisions).

If you think of buyers as either carnivores or herbivores, it is interesting to follow the eating trend. For instance, when the stock market crashed and interest rates dropped, carnivores consumed housing like a dog that got into the feed bag. They are in a food coma right now. A Tex-Mex food coma is the worst b.t.w.

Anyway, the median consumption level I see based as the median priced property with the prevailing mortgage rate. Based on my calculations, it seems like this consumption level tracks on a 3 percent growth. The rate of consumption is kind of like how many people are eating at the same time (statistics on if sales are up or down).

What I'm coming around to seeing is that people are reaching to a linear 3% slope, and they are just grabbing whatever is in reach. If the inventory is down, they settle on fewer houses, and if the inventory is up, they can reach more quality. When sales are down, you get pent up demand and more hands reaching out, so the issue is as always, how many buyers and how many sellers. I believe the buyers are there, but they are now exploring options that are above what they had targeted in the past.

When I say to people buy now, what I'm saying is buy something that is a much greater quality than you think possible for the money you have. Your money is worth more now relative to housing. Further, if we get a wave of foreclosures, what quality of property will they be and where will they be located? Of course, every community will have some, but they will be concentrated in certain communities for sure. If this is these are the markets you are targeting, wait for sure.

Shiller's Index talks about sales pairs. I think you need to get your mind around what specific properties are on the market at a given time. the fundamental context might be prime to buy, but if the available properties are garbage what does it matter? The best chefs get the best ingredients. The recipe is important, but the quality of ingredients is essential. When I was in Italy, I was surprised at how simple the food was, what made it great was its freshness. I'm just saying, if you wait for a sale on tomatoes, they might not be ripe ones, so you need to align quality with your money and that means you have to always see what property your money can buy.

All in all, properties go up and down with the tide, so a good value at any time is great, unless you're a first time buyer in which case you should wait for a bottom. I'm sorry; I believe you need to buy before the bottom because when the bottom comes, buying activity increases and the quality and value in the market becomes scarce.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.realtor.com/ ...truncated...

http://www.realtor.com/ ...truncated...

Editor's Note: This post was edited to abbreviate URLs which were widening the page due to the way that the forum software lays out posts. No other changes have been made, and the URLs still point to the original destinations - only their displays have been shortened.
steverino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Community Reinvestment Act Reply with quote

BK wrote:
SamZ,

No, you may want to do research into the Community Reinvestment Act.

There, you would discover to your shocked surprise that it applies only to depository institutions.

And subprime mortgage mills, mortgage brokers, and MBS investors--the very people behind the subprime crisis--are not depository institutions.

See, parroting right-wing radio and newspaper talking points can lead to some really acute embarrassment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.