bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

When are prices coming down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wonder why they never considered making interest on student loans tax deductable?

The double whammy for younger buyers is first, the increased tuition costs that start most people off deep in the red, and the thing that scares the absolute shai'at out of me is when older people that have their mortgage paid off saying "Hey, we ought to get rid of the mortgage interest deduction to help pay for Social Security". Can you imagine if the "Me" Generation was so greedy and selfish that they pushed that through?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Columbia University had an online (but pay as you go) video program a decade or so before MIT and Stanford. And a century earlier, London University started an international correspondence program for Englishmen stationed around the Commonwealth.

What MIT did, however, was that they offered the course notes/handouts/etc but w/o the possibility of getting actual credits to transfer to a latter degree program. Columbia and London, however, offered the courses with credit transfer, whether or not it be to the parent school or to some other local university.

From my trips abroad, what I'd seen was that a lot of educated persons were at awe with MIT and it being the center of the S&E world for numerous decades. Today, I don't hear the same accolades from Intl friends and associates. They apparently know that a lot of R&D work isn't done stateside anymore and see MIT as a comparable university to their equivalent polytechnic at home. Apparently, a lot of them knew of the open courseware and didn't have any higher regard for the school as a result of which. Apparently, there's something to be said for being discreet with one's intellectual property. Now, for Americans, it's good that MIT is eliminating tuition; that's a step in the right direction for the future generations of scientists and engineers.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe open source is different from open courseware, primarily that people pay real dollars to go to college. A lot of end users don't have GNU plot programming skills (nor the patience to learn it), they'd rather just pick up a SmartDraw for a nominal fee (if not already pirated). Likewise, companies buy MS Office (also for a nominal rate by a company's standard) instead of OpenOffice cause they're too lazy to train their staff to avoid saving files with the docx proprietary format.

If college, esp the knowledge base of the world's top school, was just another youtube viewing, then it doesn't really add to the value of the experience. In the case for MIT, it was all that *secret* access to startup (seed capital) companies near Kendall, the latest and greatest biomaterials labs along with the lectures of Nobel Prize scientists. I mean really, if I were young kid today, I'd use MIT's course notes and prep for the London U finals while trying to work part-time at a trading firm instead of attending traditional college; I'd get pretty much the same education. And even if I were science obsessed, I'd work at a lab at the closest top school (Illinois, Cornell, UVm, etc) while doing a correspondence program.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shiller made a prediction:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/04/22/economist_housing_slump_may_exceed_depression/

Admin: based on the numbers I recorded (page 2 of this subject), how do you think what he is saying is possible. It seems clear to me that when you take home price, interest rate and income, things seem to follow a 3 percent mortgage payment increase per year.

Do you think he's talking about apples to apples (the same 4 square colonial) or the median price home will plummet 30 percent with no change to incomes or interest rates? I'm interested in what framework of the fundamentals yields this perspective? Maybe, the fact that I've just got since the year 2000 and he talks about 1997?

I would like him to consider the graph of the house prices overlayed with the M3 money supply and then comment...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:
Apparently, there's something to be said for being discreet with one's intellectual property.

I don't think you can draw that conclusion from MIT's OpenCourseWare failing to inspire awe in those you talked with. That was never its goal. It was simply a logical extension of the culture of information sharing that exists more so in universities than in industry. Society as a whole can benefit greatly when intellectual property is shared rather than guarded. Witness the success of some open source software (e.g., Apache runs much of the web and Linux powers many servers, set top devices, etc.).

To address your other point, you aren't just paying for the lectures and problem sets when you go to college. You're also paying for the feedback from professors, TAs, and your classmates. Most people are also paying for the motivational aspect since they would not be as diligent about their studies without somebody managing them. And yes, you're also paying for the networking opportunities. This is why OpenCourseWare is not a drop in replacement for a traditional college education, and the lack of feedback is also why you can't get credit through it (it's not a correspondence program). This isn't to say that your plan is a bad one - it sounds great, actually - I'm just pointing out that you get more from college than what you can get through OpenCourseWare.

John P, I'll have to take a look at that article and get back to you...

- admin
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Again, I'll add the caveat that I am a college professor, just to be totally up-front)

If I'm not mistaken, the best universities in most other countries are actually publicly funded, right? The idea that higher education is something that individual students have to pay for is more-or-less uniquely American.
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the big questions -- whether it's about education or real estate -- is Under what circumstances should you borrow money to buy something that, at the present time, you cannot afford?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you can draw that conclusion from MIT's OpenCourseWare failing to inspire awe in those you talked with

Well, here's how it goes... when I was a kid, the word was that everyone became to America (and Boston, in particular) 'to attend the great engineering school of Massachusetts.' Yes, that's an actual expression I'd heard from a British friend in describing MIT.

Then, some years later, the word was that American colleges had grade inflation. The counterpoint, coming from Hong Kong, Sydney, western Europe, etc, was "see, London School of Economics doesn't inflated grades". And it's true, everyone's graded on the absolute scale and an 'A' grade (First Class Honours in UK speak) was only a 70% on the final, so effectively, a 4.0 GPA was actually a 70%+ average, kinda hard to believe. Well, it's the same today.

Finally, during the 90s, with rampant grade inflation and exorbitant tuition spikes, the word was 'either Silicon Valley or bust'. The rest of the world has already caught up academically with Stanford and MIT.

Now, with that whole tech bubble era being over and done with, the word is... 'why bother?, there's no research outside of academic labs, anyways, in the states. And those tech school notes are free and downloadable; perhaps that R&D group in Singapore is expanding. BTW, my program at [ xyz ] was tougher.'
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more things (and then I promise I'll stop and get back to work):

First, there's a really interesting article in Harper's Magazine by Kevin Phillips (who just published a book called "Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism"). He argues that the main economic indicators that we see have been manipulated over the years to make the economic situation look better than it is. His main examples and unemployment and the Consumer Price Index. It's pretty compelling stuff. I can paraphrase if people are interested.

Second, according to recent articles about home prices, the Northeast is bucking the downward trend. I'm not sure what that's about -- the data covers a pretty large area.
BK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm GMT    Post subject: The Borrowing is what drives prices higher Reply with quote

samz wrote:
I think one of the big questions -- whether it's about education or real estate -- is Under what circumstances should you borrow money to buy something that, at the present time, you cannot afford?

The problem isn't whether you should Borrow - The question is how much Money will a Bank or Financial Institution lend you....

Education is funded heavily from Loans/Credit and US Tax payers - my impression is University have always been major receipient of US tax Dollars - this money comes through as Research dollars DOD, USDA, Dept of Energy and Financial Aid and No Property Taxes for University land.

We have lived through a period of unbridled Lending of Money.
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: The Borrowing is what drives prices higher Reply with quote

BK wrote:
samz wrote:

The problem isn't whether you should Borrow - The question is how much Money will a Bank or Financial Institution lend you....

Education is funded heavily from Loans/Credit and US Tax payers - my impression is University have always been major receipient of US tax Dollars - this money comes through as Research dollars DOD, USDA, Dept of Energy and Financial Aid and No Property Taxes for University land.

We have lived through a period of unbridled Lending of Money.

Well, I guess if you don't think that education and research are worthwhile things to subsidize using public money, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In most other countries universities are funded largely using public money -- private colleges basically don't exist. Asian countries, in particular, are investing heavily in high-quality public education, and I'm pretty sure that's why they are starting to siphon off many of our high-tech and other skilled jobs.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

john p wrote:
Hey Shiller made a prediction:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/04/22/economist_housing_slump_may_exceed_depression/

Admin: based on the numbers I recorded (page 2 of this subject), how do you think what he is saying is possible. It seems clear to me that when you take home price, interest rate and income, things seem to follow a 3 percent mortgage payment increase per year.

Do you think he's talking about apples to apples (the same 4 square colonial) or the median price home will plummet 30 percent with no change to incomes or interest rates? I'm interested in what framework of the fundamentals yields this perspective? Maybe, the fact that I've just got since the year 2000 and he talks about 1997?

I would like him to consider the graph of the house prices overlayed with the M3 money supply and then comment...

I think he's talking apples to apples on the homes in question, given that's how his index works, but not apples to apples for the economic environment. I think he expects the economic environment to change, as do I.

I think there are a few reasons that what he is saying is possible, despite the numbers you gave. 3% growth was the trend over the years you listed (I'm assuming your math was correct), but that was only an 8 year period. I'd say that's too small to extrapolate from. There were many aspects of the time period from 2000 - 2007 which were atypical, and I just don't expect them to persist. For one thing, there was no major economic contraction during that period, just an unusually mild recession in 2001. People will be less willing to preemptively allocate the same percentage of their earnings to housing when their employment situation is less secure. Another unusual characteristic of the period was the continual loosening of credit and erosion of credit standards - that is in the process of blowing up right now.

Interest rates are another major wild card. Your model of a 3% increase in mortgage payments each year is not inconsistent with a drop in prices of greater than 30% as Shiller hypothesized. Such a drop in prices could be achieved by a rise in interest rates while still seeing higher mortgage payments. Rates are still below historic norms, so I do expect rate increases to play a part. How much, I don't know - I'm working my way through A History of Interest Rates so that I can better understand this important factor.

I do think that even with flat interest rates, the other factors would still work to bring prices down, though perhaps not as much. That's one of the reasons why I disagree with the argument that one might as well buy now since the mortgage payments will just as high when prices fall thanks to rising rates. (Other reasons: it ignores plausible rates at resale time, it's not correct if your down payment is larger than average, and it ignores the increased risk caused by greater leverage.)

samz wrote:

First, there's a really interesting article in Harper's Magazine by Kevin Phillips (who just published a book called "Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism"). He argues that the main economic indicators that we see have been manipulated over the years to make the economic situation look better than it is. His main examples and unemployment and the Consumer Price Index. It's pretty compelling stuff. I can paraphrase if people are interested.

I'd be interested in the paraphrase.

- admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:31 am GMT    Post subject: Re: The Borrowing is what drives prices higher Reply with quote

[quote="samz"][quote="BK"]
samz wrote:

In most other countries universities are funded largely using public money -- private colleges basically don't exist. Asian countries, in particular, are investing heavily in high-quality public education, and I'm pretty sure that's why they are starting to siphon off many of our high-tech and other skilled jobs.

No I think Education is very important - But, its a culture in Childrens Homes that fosters this thirst for education. We have a friend who was born in China and came here for her Masters/PHd- is now a US Citizen. She can believe that there are only 180 days of school for her child. In China chioldren spend a much higher percentage of their time in School - even Saturdays.

Another Neighbor who is a Fiber optics engineer was born in Siberia and she doesn't understand why children don't go to school on Saturdays.

Please - you have the standard Education Industry response - We Need More Money! No we need More Parents Interested in their Childrens Education. Living within your means in a house that is easily affordable makes it a lot easier to take care of and education your children.

Debt and Over spending is not the way to a better educated work force.
samz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 am GMT    Post subject: Re: The Borrowing is what drives prices higher Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="samz"]
BK wrote:
samz wrote:

No I think Education is very important - But, its a culture in Childrens Homes that fosters this thirst for education. We have a friend who was born in China and came here for her Masters/PHd- is now a US Citizen. She can believe that there are only 180 days of school for her child. In China chioldren spend a much higher percentage of their time in School - even Saturdays.

Another Neighbor who is a Fiber optics engineer was born in Siberia and she doesn't understand why children don't go to school on Saturdays.

Please - you have the standard Education Industry response - We Need More Money! No we need More Parents Interested in their Childrens Education. Living within your means in a house that is easily affordable makes it a lot easier to take care of and education your children.

Debt and Over spending is not the way to a better educated work force.

OK, now we're way off topic, but...

I don't really understand this post -- and I certainly don't understand or appreciate the the accusatory tone. My point was that universities in other countries -- *especially* places like China -- are heavily subsidized by the government so that people can afford them. That's why Chinese students don't go into debt paying for education: they don't pay the real cost.
samz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic...

The key idea in Harper's article by Kevin Phillips is that core economic measurements, such as unemployment, CPI, and GDP, have been manipulated over the years to make them look better. It's not an outright cooking of the books, but the formulas have been tweaked to make the results better.

Here are some examples:

Jobless numbers: Kennedy's administration was the first to mess with this statistic. They came up with the idea of excluding "discouraged workers" who had stopped looking for work. The Reagan administration further improved the unemployment rate by reclassifying members of the military as "employed" rather than "outside the workforce."

Consumer Price Index -- computed as the cost of a basket of consumer goods -- is the worst. Nixon's federal reserve chairman came up with the idea of "core inflation", which excludes "troublesome" price categories, such as food and energy. The Reagan administration decided that housing, too, was "overstating" the CPI, so it replaced actual housing costs with something called "Owner Equivalent Rent", which attempts to capture what a homeowner *might* get by renting his or her house. Three other downward adjustments, proposed by the HW Bush administration and implemented in the Clinton administration: "product substitution" which replaces products that have become too expensive with lower cost alternatives, "geometric weighting" which lowers the weighting of products whose prices are rapidly increasing (ostensibly to account for lower consumption), and the "hedonic adjustment", a totally bizarre calculation that pushes prices lower by trying to quantify the improved "quality" of new products (e.g., if this year's detergent is better than last year's detergent, but costs the same amount, we should adjust its price down to make the comparison "fair".)

Phillips estimates that if you roll back all these changes, the rate of inflation is somewhere in the range of 7 to 10 percent, and unemployment is somewhere between 9 and 12 percent.

Robert Hardaway, a professor at University of Denver, is quoted as saying that the subprime lending crisis can be directly traced back to the 1983 decision to exclude the price of housing from the CPI ... With the illusion of low inflation inducing lenders to offer 6 percent loans, speculation has run rampant on the expectations of ever-rising home prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.